Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Establishments

Default Re: New Establishments

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking Penance View Post
    does anyone know of a new york style pizzaria place here in town - that serves pizza by the slice?

couldn't find one for the past 2 months. all i want is a new york brooklyn style oily with real pepperoni's by the slice pizza.....or just a slice cheese pizza!!!

thanks a bunch
    Think you're probably outta luck. The only thin-crust pizza places I know that sell by the slice are Z Pizza at Ward Center and Boston's Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking Penance View Post
    does anyone know of a new york style pizzaria place here in town - that serves pizza by the slice? [...]
    See post #95 in this thread! The Irish pub serves NY pizza!

http://bostonspizzahawaii.com/

got slices there a couple of times - so so - at the time, they kept the "cooked" slices in a glass case that didn't appear to be all that regulated (heated or cooled) - it appears that they have remodeled since and may have better storage equipment. You can't go wrong if you get a whole pie, they toss it and make it fresh - and it's ono.

I noticed this morning that the new iHop in the Aqua Palms & Spa Hotel in Waikiki is now open for business.

Aqua Palms & Spa was formerly know as Aston Waikiki Parkside Hotel, located at 1850 Ala Moana Blvd. (across the Hilton Hawaiian Village).

iHop is right in the front at street level next to the lobby entrance. Can't miss it. I'm sure nextdoor neighboring old timer Wailana Coffee Shop is overjoyed about that.

This makes that iHop's second location, with the other being over on Kuhio avenue in the Ohana Malia Hotel.

sorry if someone already posted this but bangkok chef recently opened a new branch in manoa (2955 e. manoa road); just a short walk from the manoa marketplace.

the nuuanu branch has a much more interesting atmosphere (converted garage) but the parking there sucks.

the manoa branch interior is new and clean but could use an interior designer. food served in styrofoam containers

http://www.bangkokchefexpress.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bangkok-chef-honolulu
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Apparently the site of the former Flamingo restaurant in the Windward City Shopping Center is going to become a Denny's.
    Whoopee.
    If there's anything good about that, it's that it'll be open 24/7.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    This makes that iHop's second location, with the other being over on Kuhio avenue in the Ohana Malia Hotel.
    Uh, you mean the second one in Waikiki? Otherwise, where does the iHop in Windward Mall fit in?

Default Re: IHOP

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Uh, you mean the second one in Waikiki? Otherwise, where does the iHop in Windward Mall fit in?
    Sorry 'bout that. Yeah, that's what I meant. There's also one in Pearl City in the Times Plaza on Ka'ahumanu street. Lastly, one in Hilo (Big Island) in the Prince Kuhio Plaza.

Note, the IHOP in Kahului, Maui that Camille Velasco's (American Idol) parents owned is no longer in business. They also used to own one in Kihei, Maui that closed somewhere back around 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Otherwise, where does the iHop in Windward Mall fit in?
    It's next to the Ruby Tuesday. Both on the wing where Macy's is.

A new steakhouse opened in the Royal Hawaiian Center. Called Wolfgangs Steakhouse. Not affiliated with Wolfgang Puck. Looks to be on par with Mortons, Ruth Chris, DK Steakhouse etc. http://wolfgangssteakhouse.com/
    GO RAIL GO!!!

Talking Re: New Establishments

Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
    Regarding Starbux and Coffee Bean....

What's your guys' take on one vs the other ?

For my basic everyday addiction....triple espresso over lots of ice...SBux all the way. But when I want a blended icy treat...Coffee Bean's ice blended are better to me than the SBux Frappacinos. Their Black Forest ice blended is super ono....ice, espresso, mocha mix, chocolate covered espresso beans, and marashino cherries, blended up and topped with whipped cream. SO good.

Their ice blended vanilla is great too.
    My frequent latte addiction is filled by Starbucks, but I too prefer Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for Blended Drinks or Tea.

Quote Originally Posted by bf334 View Post
    A new steakhouse opened in the Royal Hawaiian Center. Called Wolfgangs Steakhouse. Not affiliated with Wolfgang Puck. Looks to be on par with Mortons, Ruth Chris, DK Steakhouse etc. http://wolfgangssteakhouse.com/
    I saw the prices and they are astronomical. For the price (which is not as high as Wolfgang's) I would rather dine at dk's and support a local guy. It's interesting that Wolfgang's opened here when their outlets in Beverly Hills and NYC are doing very poorly in this economy. DK all the way!

Dairy U ~ a resturant that closed in 2005 has reopened.

It's located at 1210 Dillingham. It was featured on Cheap Eats. Prices are about $8.00 Portions are generous.

They accept only cash.

Default Thai Sweet Basil @ Monoa Mkt-place, formerly Shipleys, w/music!

On Mon. April 20th at 6pm, David Kamakahi will have a CD release party/show with an all-star band consisting of, at least, David, Chino Montero, Jeff Peterson, and last but not least, Bobby Ingano on steel guitar.

Now, if they have brought back the garlic fries, and mayo, it'll be a no miss evening for sure.

Today's TGIF had an ad for a new establishment called Buffalo Boys Hoagies. It is located near Puck's Alley on King Street and opens till 3 am! Going to have to check this place out! http://www.yelp.com/biz/buffalo-boys-hoagies-honolulu

The LEGO store at Ala Moana is now open! It's such a cute store. The "Pick a Brick" wall is awesome.

Default Coming soon to the Iwilei Costco Center: Max's of Manila

While shopping for last-minute hurricane-preparedness items at the Iwilei Costco last Friday, I noticed a banner advertising Max's of Manila is scheduled to soon open a new location there in that center nearby Dole Cannery, next to that gym, in the same adjacent (former warehouse) building where L&L and Quiznos are currently located.

Max's of Manila already has one restaurant here on Oahu in Waipahu.

Manook...sooos!

Quote Originally Posted by Blubearypye View Post
    The LEGO store at Ala Moana is now open! It's such a cute store. The "Pick a Brick" wall is awesome.
    Right next door to a Victoria's Secret which will open soon!
    Is the Disney Store being relocated to Sharper Image's old location?

Aj

Today I noticed a sign for "FRESH CATCH" which is the poke place that has
    it's first store on Waialae. It is on Kamehameha Hwy. in Kaneohe by Designer Alterations and the feed store kind of across from the Shell station. Gotta go try it!

Default That was fast!

The pho/plate lunch joint on Dillingham Bl. that took over from Spots by HCC is pau.

Kailua!
    A new place called "Honuz" has opened (couple of weeks ago) in the space formerly occupied by Cisco's Cantina on Hekili Street in Kailua. Full page ad in the Windward insert in MidWeek last week. Went there last night - ono salmon, good NYSteak & scampi - FRESH and varied one-pass salad bar, veggie mix w entree is excellent, incredible light bread pudding. They just got their liquor license and are expecting business will pick up accordingly. Also plan a breakfast buffet w hi-lite sweetbread/lilikoi french toast - someone told us that they got an anon call from Boots & Kimos (two doors down the street) staffer NOT happy about the breakfast competition -but hey, waiting 90 mins @ B&K vs. quicker seating at Honuz?
    (Besides, B&K moving to larger quarters in the new stripmall building on the corner across from Don Quijote soon anyway.)

Check it out:
    http://www.honuzrestaurant.com/

Buffalo Big Wings Grill and Bar opened in Discovery Bay about a month or so ago. I checked it out for the first time this week-end, for lunch. It's the epitome of a sports bar...fairly barren decor punctuated by a plethora of large, flat screen TVs!!! There must be at least 15! Eldest spawn can't wait to check it out!

Bombay Restaurant in Discovery Bay must be doing ok in this economy. The owner will open a coffee bar in the same building, taking over the space vacated by Starbucks. Same owner is also opening what appears to be a small take-out place downtown on Alakea between Queen and King called...Curry in a Hurry. Cute name! I wish him well.

In the news today from KITV:

Over the past year, Brew Moon, Compadre's and E&O have closed their doors.

All three occupied spaces on Ward Centre's second floor.

The restaurants that will take their place are the Ka Restaurant and Lounge, Pablo McGinty's and Paparazzi.
    Judging just by the names alone, I'm a little skeptical these will catch on. Then again, I was skeptical Buffalo Wild Wings in the Discovery Bay Center in Waikiki would catch on, but the place PACKS A CROWD! Boy, do they pack 'em in on football weekends. Crazy busy.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast