Mad Man Dan - Telemarketing pest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Man Dan - Telemarketing pest

(personally I'd prefer "telemarketing scum" but someone might consider that "libel")

This probably belongs in the "pet peeve" thread, but I'm posting separately for more visibility. You'll see why in a moment.

Anyway, I'm spending Father's Day at my parents place when the phone rings. It's a telemarketer. The worst kind - a recording. "Man Man Dan" is telling me about all the special Father's Day used car deals he's got going. Now the worst thing about a recording is you can't rip into the person who's calling. All you've got is "Press 5 to remove your number from our list". Not exactly satisfying.

So the main point of this post is to increase the 'cost' for MMD and anyone else who would consider using that method to advertise. Apparently ticking off a few people doesn't carry enough of a penalty. But in this day of the Internet, maybe a little public backlash will do the job. (I can hope.) I mean, here I am trying to spend some family time and this jerk has to intrude into our home to commercialize it. Just trying to live up to the stereotype of a used car salesman I guess.

Also, anyone remember what the deal on Hawaii's telemarketing law is? MMD isn't a charity or politician. So he doesn't get an exemption. No one can remember of my parents are on the government's "no call" list. (dang - I'll love to nail him with that if they are.)

Argh.

Re: Mad Man Dan - Telemarketing pest

https://www.donotcall.gov

Your parents can check to see if they are registered and if there's any doubt, I don't think there's any harm in them registering again. If they are registered, your parents may file a complaint against non-compliant telemarketers via the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      BUSTED!!! MMD, you violated the "don't call" list. Complaint filed!

Thanks, Adri!

Anyone else getting calls should do the same. Laws are no good unless enforced. And they can't be enforced without complaints.

Comment

from yesterday's honolulu star bulletin, letters to the editor: "just let unwanted marketers prattle on" "mass marketing is getting out of hand. numerous calls solicit me for auto insurance. i do not own a motor vehicle, nor do i have a driver's license. repeated calls sate that my warranty has expired, and this is my final chance. many lenders call to lend me money. do these repeated calls increase their sales? how do i react? i do not hang up. i lay down my telephone and walk away, presuming the caller enjoys talking or just running out their tape. i encourage everyone to do likewise." c. francis chun.

for me: when the person asks for my father-in-law i respond with, "he's dead." he's been deceased for over 10 years. they usually apologize and hang up or they apologize and ask for my mother-in-law. i usually respond with, "she has alzheirmer's." they don't know what to say so they hang up. the blunt truth works sometimes.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

i kinda like the "lay the phone down" idea.
          We haven't had telemarketer problems sonce we moved to HI; still using cell and Skype as home phones. I heard that some telemarketers were working the cell phones; anyone got any calls yet?

Comment

no to the cell phone pests.

just wanted to add that the other night around 8pm, some lending/mortgage broker company was soliciting. 8PM?! nothing better to do?!
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I love telemarketers, over here we still only have the human kind, and not the machine ones.

When they call, I am super polite and friendly...except when they call during mealtimes, when I tell them they've been rude to even think to call...and then, when they begin their sales pitch, I tell them not to bother, as I am a poor and unemployed single mom on welfare with four kids who is in debt and won't be buying anything for quite some time.

It always does the trick, and they apologize and never call back.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Something's gotta be done if and when telemarketers start hitting cell phones. Can you imagine your cell phone bill when they start calling you?
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Something's gotta be done if and when telemarketers start hitting cell phones. Can you imagine your cell phone bill when they start calling you?
                  You get charged for being called??!!

That's nuts! Over here, it works like any other phone, and you get charged only for calls that you make...plus, even if you have no credit left, you can be called for up to six months (I only charge the kids' telephones every six months, so that I can call them)...plus, you can call emergency services even f you have no credit left.

You guys gotta change your system, you are being ripped off!
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    You guys gotta change your system, you are being ripped off!
                    Why? Incoming calls use up just as much resource as outgoing ones. Trust me, you are paying for them, even if you aren't being charged.

Getting back to the title of the thread, anyone else getting "default message" spam on their answering machine?

Comment

That reminds me of a Homerism "Greetings, friend. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So use it. And send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay! Eternal happiness is just a dollar away."

Comment

Because the telemarketer was rude from the get-go regarding buying long distance service, "calls to the Mainland," he said, I played like a senile idiot and kept insisting I wasn't planning any trips to the Mainland.

The caller was getting really upset but kept on going.

Finally I said I had to go because the dog bit the postman, and hung up.

Was fun!

Comment

What if the telemarketer goes, "Hello, Hello, Pick-up," to trick you into answering the phone when you're screening and don't have caller i.d?

Comment

Working...
                          X