Newscasters from long ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newscasters from long ago

1982 KHON Weekend News team was Barbara Tanabe, Courtney Harrington and Jack Weirs who are all still here locally as far as I know.

Aj

Comment

Leslie Wilcox does a two-part reminisence with Bob Sevey on this (and next) week's Long Story Short. Lee Cataluna writes about this in today's Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0/COLUMNISTS02

Comment

Seasons Greetings To All,

Here is a gift to all of you from the ghost of Christmas Past. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBMpDsUPB0

Dave

Comment

That was great!

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil View Post
            That was great!
            =============
            Thanks...here is another one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dAHG5svjdSI

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
              Seasons Greetings To All,

Here is a gift to all of you from the ghost of Christmas Past. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBMpDsUPB0
              Well that was interesting - a mix of film, 1" and U-Matic? When was this?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Well that was interesting - a mix of film, 1" and U-Matic? When was this?
                ===================
                You are observant, don't forget the 2"quad that Tindall stopped. circa 1978.

Comment

Kalihiboy has circulated this previously - I think we established that it was 1976.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                    Kalihiboy has circulated this previously - I think we established that it was 1976.
                    ===============
                    He did? I was not aware of that.

Comment

r.e., kgmb xmas clip, Looking back with more thought, I think it might be 1978-1979, I do not think Elisa was at KGMB in 1976, I think at that time she was an intern at KITV.

Also Matt Levi was at KITV until 1978 I think, then went over to KGMB.

Aj

Comment

You are observant, don't forget the 2"quad that Tindall stopped. circa 1978.
                        Oh? Did I miss something? I wasn't sure if that was a 1" or 2". Was there another smaller one? What did they use the different formats for?

Comment

Oh? Did I miss something? I wasn't sure if that was a 1" or 2". Was there another smaller one? What did they use the different formats for?
                          ==================

Tindall is on a 2"quad.(vr2000) Behind him are vr1200 quads. In the foreground is a sony bvh 1000 (or 1100..I can't remember). That was about the time when helical scan tape formats were coming of age. 1" c-type reels and 3/4 umatic. 1" tape was used mostly for long format shows. Quad was used for commercials and shows. 3/4 Umatic was used in ENG (news gathering) to replace 16mm film.

Comment

3/4 Umatic was used in ENG (news gathering) to replace 16mm film.
                            Yeah, I figured that, but I was surprised both would still be in use for ENG. I would have thought the whole station would have changed over at one time.

I thought maybe film survived in a different capacity - perhaps in local specials where timeliness wasn't as important and maybe the quality was better.

Wouldn't have film survived for a time as a medium for movies or maybe even shows?

Comment

Yeah, I figured that, but I was surprised both would still be in use for ENG. I would have thought the whole station would have changed over at one time.
                              ===============
                              >>>Businesses in general are like boats, the bigger they are the longer they take to change course.
                              =====================
                              I thought maybe film survived in a different capacity - perhaps in local specials where timeliness wasn't as important and maybe the quality was better.
                              ==============
                              >>>>By that time, local specials were mostly on tape. The film cameras were just for news gathering.
                              ==============
                              Wouldn't have film survived for a time as a medium for movies or maybe even shows?
                              ==================
                              >>>>>It did, for little while. But not long. Movies began shipping on 1" tape instead of film. Then after that came the satellite. Then circa 2001 came digital content delivery systems. Pretty cool stuff...I already have an obsolete one in my garage. I'm trying to give it away to a school but no takers yet. It would make a great project for a high school computer class. They could dissect it to see how it works. Perhaps somebody on this thread knows of an adventurous high school teacher. Contact me via private message.

Comment

I already have an obsolete one in my garage. I'm trying to give it away to a school but no takers yet.
                                An obsolete what? Digital system?

Comment

Working...
                                X