Newscasters from long ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newscasters from long ago

Lots of sports media personalities cut their teeth in Hawaii before going to the mainland (and sometimes, coming back!)

Harry Kalas
    Al Michaels
    Ken Wilson
    Hank Greenwald
    Mel Proctor
    Jack Wiers
    Matt Pinto
    Rick Quan
    Rob Fukuzaki
    Dave Wiggins (a little quirky, but he went on to great success in Japan.)
    Larry Beil
    Russ Francis
    Neil Everett Morfitt (What ESPN saw in this guy, I'll never know.)
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 20, 2007, 11:44 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The original sportscaster was FRANK VALENTI (Channel 9). He had his own segment called SPORTS EDITOR from back in th 1950s! He was also the host of BIDDY BOXING on Saturday afternoons at the Channel 9 studio BEFORE the days of 50th STATE WRESTLING. BIDDY BOXING was under the auspices of the Police Activities League (PAL) and one of the commercial sponsors was HI-C fruit drinks.

Other TV sportscasters included CHUCK LEAHEY, JIM LEAHEY, JOE MOORE, AL MICHAELS, JOE "Rack 'em Up" ROSE.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
        KGMB was the station to watch then.....

I can hear the jingle they played when the news would start......

da da da allllll about haaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiii it's wonderful
        something something

K-G-M-B

gotta plug
        Bob Jones
        Linda Cobell
        Tim Tindall

And I do recall KHON was Eyewitness News (late 70's) at the time long before Joe Moore took over and turned it around big time!

One of the good things...about Hawaii...is wonderful...KGMB.

Edit: Damn I got that one in too late.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 21, 2007, 12:54 AM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Another one who went national is LINDA TAIRA.

Comment

Emerald Yeh, Channel four and now long time in SFO

Sports:
            Jim Lathrop

Comment

Whatever happened to my future wife (back in the 80's) Marisol Borromeo (sp)?

Comment

If memory serves, she went off to work in the Boeing PR department, but that was a long time ago.

Comment

Stacy Sakamoto
                  Terri Okita

Another couple of KGMB alumnus who went national.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                    Emerald Yeh, Channel four and now long time in SFO

Sports:
                    Jim Lathrop
                    Lathrop's side-kick on KAISER SPORTS CENTRAL (Channel 4) was GENE GOOD, who later went to do radio on Kauai. I have a tape of Gene Good calling a state high school basketball tournament game. Not bad ..........

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      If there's video of Jack Hawkin's angry and sputtering last broadcast, I wanna see it again...
                      I worked on that broadcast, it was great! The director finally reached over and faded to black because the technical director was enjoying it way too much.

Comment

I don't remember Jack Hawkin. When was his last broadcast and what station was he with at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          I don't remember Jack Hawkin. When was his last broadcast and what station was he with at the time?
                          Not the excellent British actor. This guy was more like Ted Baxter. He had a white pompadour, a basso profundo delivery and a tan so deep he was mauve-colored. I think he was with KITV in the early '80s, tho I may be wrong.

Hawkins wrote his own story intros, which were messterpieces, delivered with overweening, swashbuckling brio, like the guy in a '50s scifi film warning you to watch the skies for aliens and Commies. One went, "Doctor Ariyoshi prescribes financial medicine, and TOMORROW WE EAT THE BITTER PILL!!!"

But my favorite, for a story on head lice, just went "Oooh oooh oooh OOOH OOOH UKUS!!!"

He was shown the door, I imagine for demographic reasons, and instead of a cheerful farewell, he launched into an intensely bitter and sputtering tirade that was painful to see. And hysterical. I think he did some car ads after that and vanished from Hawaii.

Of course, if he was on again, I'd watch every night.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            He was shown the door, I imagine for demographic reasons, and instead of a cheerful farewell, he launched into an intensely bitter and sputtering tirade that was painful to see. And hysterical. I think he did some car ads after that and vanished from Hawaii.
                            I don't remember his exit. But I sure remember the hype that KITV lavished on Jack Hawkin's arrival. There were a whole bunch of promotional spots that just said "Hawkins" and nothing else. Then, they introduced the man and everyone in the state wondered what the fuss was all about?

Jack's departure from KITV did not immediately mark the end of his journalism career in the islands. UHF channel 26 (then called KSHO) hired him and Cynthia Yip to be their news anchors. I think that gig lasted for a few years until the station changed management and their newscasts were deep-sixed.

Comment

I found this buried in the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Archive. We had this thread back at the old message board in 2001:

MomoTaro
                              TV ANCHORS
                              Mon Apr 2 06:13:03 2001

Whatever happened to some of those tv folks...Where are they now???
                              Barbara Tanabe
                              BJ Samms
                              Matt Levi
                              Paula Zahn (national now)
                              June Grasso
                              Of course, can't forget Bob Sevey, Tim Tindall

--------------------------------------------------

Kristofer
                              Re: TV ANCHORS
                              Mon Apr 2 15:11:22 2001

Barbara Tanabe -- I believe she's currently with the public relations
                              firm in Honolulu. I just can't remember which one though.
                              Paula Zahn -- Paula's currently on the Fox News Channel. I didn't know
                              she worked here in Hawaii.
                              June Grasso -- She's currently an anchor on CourtTV.
                              Bob Sevey -- Quietly enjoying retirement somewhere in Washington State.
                              Tim Tindall -- Currently working for eNewsHawaii.com, as a
                              "cyberAnchor".

can't remember
                              Here's more
                              Tue Apr 3 16:01:56 2001

what about Jack Hawkins (or was it Hawkings)? I remember there was a big
                              build up, lots of prepromotion for this KITV anchor and then he stank so
                              bad they axed him. Where's he now?

Or also there was some guy that did the KHNL news when it first started
                              yeeeears ago. I think it was just a news update really, not a fullblown
                              newscast. But at the time they also used Ron Wood? Who was that old
                              dude?

Kristofer
                              Tue Apr 3 10:26:41 2001

Here's a few more...
                              Emerald Yeh -- This former anchor for KITV-4 in the mid-80's is now a
                              mid-day anchor and a consumer reporter for KRON-4, the San Francisco NBC
                              affiliate.
                              Susan Hutchinson -- Also from KITV-4 is now the weekday anchor for
                              Seattle's CBS affiliate KIRO-7.
                              Teri Okita -- After leaving KGMB-9, she went to work as an anchor and a
                              reporter for WUSA-9 in Washington D.C. The CBS News Washington Bureau
                              Chief was so impressed by Teri, that he hired her to be a CBS News
                              National Correspondent.
                              Dave Carlin -- Also of KGMB-9, is now an weekday anchor for San Diego's
                              WB station KSWB-TV5.
                              Maria Quiban -- This former KHNL-News8 weathercaster is now providing
                              the daily weather forecast for the Orange County NewsChannel in Los
                              Angeles.
                              Kathy Meneno -- I have no clue as to where this former KITV-4 morning
                              anchor ended up. Does anyone know?

Kristofer
                              Tue Apr 3 11:34:40 2001

Here are where some former island tv sportscasters are...

Larry Beil -- In 1989, after spending seven years at KGMB-9, Larry was
                              offered a job with KTVU-2 in Oakland, CA. In 1995, he went bigtime and
                              moved to the East Coast to join ESPN. In January 2001, Larry moved back
                              to the Bay Area and is now a weekend sports anchor for KGO-7, San
                              Francisco's ABC affiliate.

Rick Quan -- A former KITV-4 sports anchor/director in the mid-80's,
                              Rick settled in San Francisco and is currently the weekend sports anchor
                              for KPIX-5, the CBS affiliate. Yes, both he and Larry Beil go
                              head-to-head on weekends in the Bay Area. The latest Neilsen ratings had
                              KGO-7 in second place, KPIX-5 in third.
                              Alema Harrington -- This former KHNL-News8 weekend sports anchor is now
                              covering sports and doing the weekend sportscast for KSL-5, the NBC
                              affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah.
                              Rob Fukuzaki -- A former KITV-4 weekend sports anchor and KSSK disc
                              jockey, moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to work as KABC-7's weekend sports
                              anchor.

That's all for now!
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                [...]UHF channel 26 (then called KSHO) hired him and Cynthia Yip to be their news anchors.[...]
                                Cynthia Yip! Now there's a name from the past! She did a morning talk show during the mid 80s. The studio was in Kailua. Was that KSHO? And, she had a "partner in crime" <g>! Was that Jack Hawkins?

The last time I talked with Cynthia was just prior to her late husband's diagnosis. She was freelancing with a mainland cable station and doing some pretty heavy stories. Does anyone know if she still lives in Hawaii? Oh, wait! It appears she's at ABC in San Francisco.

Such a nice lady. I wish her well.

Comment

Working...
                                X