Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newscasters from long ago

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Cynthia Yip! Now there's a name from the past!
    Miss Yip was a pretty sharp cookie.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Jack Hawkins had been in the publishing business in Arizona for two decades before he decided to become a news anchor. He came to Hawaii in 1979.
      The promos before his first broadcast were entitled "Hawkins is coming." The most memorable one was one of him sitting in a pedicab with a large straw hat obscuring his face, and the ominious "Hawkins is coming soon." What a brilliant promotion campaign by a certain young inexperienced producer .

Comment

Another name from the past; Michelle Lum of the old Good Morning Hawaii on KITV in the early 1980s. Oh the stories I could tell about those days!

Comment

I may have some material with Jack Hawkins during the KSHO days, I definitely have some material with Michelle Lum during Hurricane Iwa.

Is June Grasso still with Court TV?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
            Jack Hawkins had been in the publishing business in Arizona for two decades before he decided to become a news anchor.
            I'm glad he had something to fall back on.
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Some more I dont think we have mentioned yet:

Bob Hogue (sports on KHON)
              Larry Price (sports on KITV)
              Dan Cooke (wasnt he with two stations, KITV and KHNL)
              Tiny Tadani (sports on KITV)

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                Miss Yip was a pretty sharp cookie.
                Gorgeous, too! Hmmm...looks AND brains. I hate her!

(Cynthia...if you google yourself and see this...I still love ya!)

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                  Jack Hawkins had been in the publishing business in Arizona for two decades before he decided to become a news anchor. He came to Hawaii in 1979.
                  The promos before his first broadcast were entitled "Hawkins is coming." The most memorable one was one of him sitting in a pedicab with a large straw hat obscuring his face, and the ominious "Hawkins is coming soon." What a brilliant promotion campaign by a certain young inexperienced producer .
                  They were clever promotional spots. It certainly built-up the public's anticipation,....only to be let down by the man himself.

Did you also create the "Larry Price knows" promo, which filmed him clandestinely meeting with some guy in a parking garage, ala Bob Woodward and Deep Throat? I guess that bit of shlock was supposed to get people to take Mr. Katoosh seriously as an investigative reporter.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I worked for a while as an advertising artist at the fabulous FoBreGaSa agency, an outfit that probably ruined more promising careers than any agency in history. Let's see, we cast Aku in the Al Phillips the Cleaner commercials, Emma Veary in Long's Drugs ads, plus the classy Tire Warehouse ads and the pizza ads where the delivery boy gets a look at a lady's cleavage and falls into the duck pond.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I worked for a while as an advertising artist at the fabulous FoBreGaSa agency, an outfit that probably ruined more promising careers than any agency in history. Let's see, we cast Aku in the Al Phillips the Cleaner commercials, Emma Veary in Long's Drugs ads, plus the classy Tire Warehouse ads and the pizza ads where the delivery boy gets a look at a lady's cleavage and falls into the duck pond.
                      I remember a Magoo's Pizza commerical, where the customer eats the pizza in her swimming pool and the ogling delivery boy falls into the same pool. Is that the one your company made? That was hilarious. The song (No Huhu, Call Magoo's) was also great. That one ran for several years.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

A classy place. Their paychecks starting bouncing and I started to trade work in exchange for office furniture. I did storyboards and a short-lived comic strip parody that ran in the middle of a double-truck supermarket ad.

The boss, a Cuban guy named Pedro Font, disappeard one day with the petty cash and later surfaced in New York.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It was nice to see Matt Levi recently on that Ice documentary produced by Edgy Lee.

Whatever happened to Bart Fredo?

Comment

I worked for a while as an advertising artist at the fabulous FoBreGaSa agency, an outfit that probably ruined more promising careers than any agency in history.[...]
                            Burl...what decade did you work for them? The name doesn't sound familiar at all to me. I recall a couple of ads you mention but, dang, I don't recall that agency!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I recall a couple of ads you mention but, dang, I don't recall that agency!
                              I recognize the name of that agency ... FoBreGaSa. But that's about all. I don't even remember why I recognize the name.

Comment

I think it folded about 1978 or so. They made a fortune with those Tire Warehouse ads that were forerunners to the HeadOn commercials.

It was an insane place. Employee turnover was about 50 percent a month. I lasted two months as an employee and thereafter several months as a freelancer.

The name was from the original start-up investors FOnt, BREsomething, GArcia and SAkamoto. Garcia was Ignacio "Nick" Garcia, whom some of you might remember as a local attorney. He told me later he pulled out almost immediately.

The art department, though, had a splendid view of the Koolaus from the 25th floor. It was in that tall building where the Civic used to be.
                                Burl Burlingame
                                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                                X