Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newscasters from long ago

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    plus the classy Tire Warehouse ads and the pizza ads .

You guys did the "Go Now Hawaii, Why Pay More" Tire Warehouse ads with Malcolm Love? While they were probably annoying at the time, I remember them a lot today. I guess they bought a spot on every major channel and every time slot back in the day.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

That was us! (Actually, I didn't work on that campaign. I was busy trying to ruin Emma Veary's career with those dreadful Long's ads she did.)

It was exacerbated by the fact that Pedro really didn't speak English, although he thought he did. He used to come in and bang on my drawings with his fist and scream "Goofus! Goofus!" and then run out. After a month or so I realized he was trying to say "Good face!" although I still don't know what point he was trying to make.

Interestingly, he turned up in some New York stories fairly recently about Cuban spies in the U.S.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

For reasons which I still do not totally comprehend (I was his assignment editor at the time), Bart Fredo decided one day that he had had it with television news and was moving to Connecticut to become a private school middle school teacher.

I believe some of his colleagues kept in touch for a while, but there hasn't been any information about his whereabouts circulating recently.

A Google search brings up information that he appeared in an episode of Hawaii Five-O in October 1975, and that a tape of a panel discussion he hosted is in the Sinclair Library collection, but nothing else.

Comment

Did you also create the "Larry Price knows" promo, which filmed him clandestinely meeting with some guy in a parking garage, ala Bob Woodward and Deep Throat? I guess that bit of shlock was supposed to get people to take Mr. Katoosh seriously as an investigative reporter.

Didn't do the one's for Larry, but I remember he had two catch phrases back then that preceded "katoosh." In his investigative reports he always said; "it's interesting to note," and "the shocking realities are."

Comment

saw rob fukuzaki when we watched "coach carter" where he played a..reporter. the beau and i had a good laugh about that one.

my fave contemporary of rob fukuzaki was ross mihara. tho most women find rob fukuzaki more attractive, i always thot ross mihara was a hottie. might partially be an "iolani no ka oi" thing.

my college ex had a huge crush on one of the reporters on KGMB around the same time ross mihara was on. this was in the early nineties. she was petite, had dark, straight hair cut into a bob with bangs, and might have been elisa yadao but i can't remember.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Was watching some KGMB newscasts from 15 years ago last night:

Leslie Wilcox, Rob Simpson, Collette Pritchard, Sandra Sagisi and Ross Mihara.

Saw a KGMB sports promo with Ross Mihara, Neil Everett and Scott Culbertson.

Another newscast had Janet Wu doing weekends, Dave Carlin toured the H-3 tunnel which at the time was being constructed so it was kind of neat to see inside the construction of this.

Commercials for BJ Furniture, Marsh Furniture (did these furniture stores turn into Homeworld?) Mr. Waffledog, Lion Coffee with a cartoon lion, Ala Moana, Hawaiian Host chocolates, Great Hawaiian Energy Challenge, Liberty House.

Aj

Comment

KITV 4 Reporters from 25 years ago in 1982: Russell Shimooka, Emme Tomminbang, Ann Botticelli, Sandi Carney, Michele Lum, Doug LaVallee (KGU radio), etc.

KHON 25 years ago as well with Barbara Marshall, Candy Fleece, Kelly Dean, Courtney Harrington, Chris Casey, Richard Borreca, Ray Lovell, Jim McCoy.

Aj

Comment

Rob Simpson is now the Rinkside reporter for Boston Bruins Hockey broadcasts.

Comment

KHON Weekend news 1988: Kirk Matthews and Denise Cannon lead anchors and sports with Jim Hackleman (anyone remember this older guy?). Reporters include Anne Botticelli, Jon Yoshimura and Bruce Voss.

Topics include: Frank Fasi vs. Marilyn Bornhorst Honolulu Mayoral race

1992 KGMB newscast: Janet Wu (very cute wonder where she is now), Mike Gormley, Gary Drelling, Scott Culbertson (sports).

Topics include: Mike Gabbard's deli shop being closed down and the massive protests outside that led to it being shut down.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      KHON Weekend news 1988: Kirk Matthews and Denise Cannon lead anchors and sports with Jim Hackleman (anyone remember this older guy?).
                      That "older guy" had a very long and varied media background. Hack came from New York and started off as a writer. Worked for the AP for many years until he came to Hawaii and became the Star-Bulletin sports editor. He then tried his hand in broadcast, co-hosting KHET's "Sports Page 11" show with Don Robbs. The two of them were also announcing partners for UH baseball radio broadcasts during the late 1970s-early '80s time period.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Jim Hackleman's newspaper column was cleverly titled THE HACK STAND.

Comment

Hackleman looked like he was well into his 60's or 70's and I'm looking at 20 year old footage, is he still living?? I enjoyed watching him deliver the news, what is sad is guys like he and Les Keiter (even Howard Cosell for that matter) would never get a job on the news or in sports because of the way things are done today as its more style than substance.

Aj

Comment

KHON Monday June 14, 1993

Joe Moore, Howard Dashefsky, Mary Zanakas, Barbara Marshall, Ray Lovell, Marvin Buencensejo, Ron Mizutani, Bob Hogue (sports) and a sports editorial called "The General Opinion" with "The General" himself, Les Keiter!

Marshall and Hogue got involved in local politics, I think everyone else is still around living and/or working here. I havent seen Mary and Marvin for a couple years though.

Aj

Comment

Does anyone remember KGMB's first news anchor in the early fifties ? Wayne Colllins and The 10'Oclock Report. He never did crack a smile while doing the news. LOL The pay must not have been very good at the time. Aloha, BigD

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                                Does anyone remember KGMB's first news anchor in the early fifties ? Wayne Colllins and The 10'Oclock Report. He never did crack a smile while doing the news. LOL The pay must not have been very good at the time. Aloha, BigD
                                I mentioned Wayne Collins in post #2. He'd often give an editorial comment at the end of the newscast and sign off with "This is Wayne Collins, speaking for KGMB news."

I can still vividly remember his final newscast. He was extremely critical of the station management and their change in direction as far as the newsroom went. He signed off that night with "This is Wayne Collins, speaking for myself!"

Comment

Working...
                                X