Newscasters from long ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newscasters from long ago

Mary Zanakis runs a toy store in Kailua. Marvin B is the morning news anchor on KHNL.

Comment

Woo hoo! Let's hear it for all the reporters who have taken the plunge (literally!) into the murky world of elective politics. How murky? Well, a few of them did not emerge from the experience with their reputations intact.

Barbara Marshall
      Bob Hogue
      Glenn Wakai
      Dalton Tanonaka
      Nestor Garcia
      Jon Yoshimura

One guy who could run for Governor and easily win (assuming he doesn't have any skeletons hiding in his closet) would be Joe Moore.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Other politicos:

Mason Altiery - state senator from Manoa area;
        Jim Lathrop - ran, but didn't win;
        Jon Yoshimura - City Council; didn't he get into trouble over an auto accident for leaving the scene and a possible DUI?

Comment

Didn't Jerry Drelling and Russ Francis run for office as well?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post

Jon Yoshimura - City Council; didn't he get into trouble over an auto accident for leaving the scene and a possible DUI?
            yes! and i heard some other not-so-nice-things either. he gives me the heebs, esp. since before he went into politics, i had the opportunity to meet him in relation to his work for the young lawyer's division of the hawaii state bar assoc. i remember thinking then that he seemed so fresh-faced and sincere. sad, really.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

KGMB 1986: Marisol Burromeo in the mornings

Tons of old ads: Big Way Supermarkets, Gem, Spa Fitness Center (Waimalu), Tony Roma's, Mike alta Good News Report with George Groves, Granny Goose Potato Chips, Matt Levi KGMB Report: "Stoned in School", Leasing Roma, Pay N Save, Downtown Honda, Scandinavian Gallery, Kuakini Medical Center.

KGMB News 1986: Bob Jones, Leslie Wilcox, Lary Beil, Lynette Lo Tom

Topics Include: High School Graduations for Roosevelt, St. Andrews Priory, Lanai HS

Ads for: Steinlager, Hawaiian Host Chocolates (Hawaiian Moving Company) with Michael W. Perry with dark hair.

Aj

Comment

Here's one from "long ago" who is still working ... and now departing. Note the note that she's the current longest continuously employed TV person:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/26/news/story08.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                  Here's one from "long ago" who is still working ... and now departing. Note the note that she's the current longest continuously employed TV person:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/26/news/story08.html
                  The current longest continuously employed TV person? Tina Shelton??

Hmmm, I guess Daryl Huff is not familiar with Joe Moore.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    The current longest continuously employed TV person? Tina Shelton??

Hmmm, I guess Daryl Huff is not familiar with Joe Moore.
                    I also don't recall JOE MOORE ever being on hiatus ..................

Comment

Does that also include those in the biz that aren't TV personalities?

What about Emmie Tommingban? Oh man I hope I spelled her name correctly.

She was a cub reporter back in 1976 or 1977 and interview me and my friend Bruce after we were hit head on from another car. The accident scene depicted his car (a brand new 1976 Mercury Capri) totalled and upside down on Kilauea Avenue, literally in front of the bus stop on the sidewalk. The car was a crumpled wreck from bumper to bumper.

Dazed we got out of the car and stood for what seemed like eternity when this young Filipina woman with a steno pad and pen came up and told me, "It's a miracle you two boys are still alive after that" and she pointed at the 90-feet of destruction along Kilauea Avenue. Yep that was Emmie!
                      Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 26, 2007, 09:33 PM.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If Shelton's dates of employment are correct in the story I think Joe Moore does "outrank" her in longevity. He was doing sports at KGMB when I started there in 1976.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                          If Shelton's dates of employment are correct in the story I think Joe Moore does "outrank" her in longevity. He was doing sports at KGMB when I started there in 1976.
                          1976...do you remember a young group of high school kids from Kalani High School working with KGMB thru Junior Achievement? We had a company formed thru JA called Island Productions and we sold ad space for the movie Endless Summer.

That was my first exposure to the world of broadcast media and I did my first TV spot for Junior Achievement, recorded in the studios of KGMB. After take 33 I finally got it right.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            What about Emmie Tommingban? Oh man I hope I spelled her name correctly.
                            It's "Emme Tomimbang." But you close.

Emme does go way back, but she hasn't been on the airwaves continuously, like Joe Moore. Didn't she take some time off between her stints at KITV and KHON?

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                              Does anyone remember KGMB's first news anchor in the early fifties ? Wayne Colllins and The 10'Oclock Report. He never did crack a smile while doing the news. LOL The pay must not have been very good at the time. Aloha, BigD
                              Bob Sevey told me about Wayne Collins. I quoted him in my book - The Companies We Keep:

“The first TV news anchor in Honolulu was Wayne Collins on KGMB-TV,” says former newsman Bob Sevey. “He was an absolutely amazing performer. He had a voice that God must have envied, a photographic memory, and a total grasp of the news.

In the beginning, he used no script at all. He went into a little booth about a half-hour before the newscast and memorized it — not the word-for-word scripts but the facts of the stories. Then he went on camera and delivered the news flawlessly with perfect eye contact.

“The fact that he had no script made the sponsor, Pan Am, nervous, so he began to take a sheaf of blank paper to the anchor desk and made check marks on the paper as though he were checking off items in a script. Collins was hands-down the best news anchor I have ever seen, network or local, and one of the brightest individuals I have ever met.

“He eventually left the business, served the state as Director of Land and Natural Resources under Governor Quinn. Wayne retired some years ago to Pennsylvania.

Bob Sigall

Comment

Since I had asserted somewhere in this thread that John Galbraith (KHVH) was the first ever anchor in Hawaii, I had to get this clarified. I was wrong. Here's more from a Reliable Source:

"Collins began casting news at KGMB-TV in 1953. Galbraith came along in '57 or '58 at Ch. 4, then KHVH-TV owned by Kaiser. I believe Galbraith was the first anchor on Ch. 4. He did the 6-6:15 segment of local news followed by George Kerster (Kaiser caster) doing the 6:15-6:30 national segment. Galbraith soldiered on until about '63; Kerster was replaced by a guy named Gil something who was, in turn, replaced in '61 by a fellow named Sevey."

Further, there is a recollection that Collins mentioned "a fellow who may have briefly preceded him on Ch. 9." But details are somewhat dim.

Comment

Working...
                                X