Newscasters from long ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newscasters from long ago

Sadly I believe no news video footage exists of Wayne Collins, John Galbraith or Sevey for that matter from the 50's or even into the 60's.

KITV told me the oldest news footage they have in their archives is 1976.

I have news footage dating back to 1972 with KHVH (KITV).

I was watching something recently and the announcer said "The Eyewitness news is coming up next on Channel 2 with Paul Udell and Joe Moore".

This was circa 1979-80. Udell left KHON and worked in Chicago for awhile and of course eventually came back to KITV and worked there about 20 consecutive years.

Udell came up with the closing credits shaka segments that still exist today on KHON.

Also speaking of KHON I forgot to mention Barbara Wallace. She worked with Kirk Matthews on many telecasts throughout the 90's. I havent seen her for a few years. anyone know where she ended up?

Also saw a Weekend KITV news segment from 1993 with Dick Allgire as lead anchor with Rob Fukazi on sports and Shari Shima doing the weather.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      I have news footage dating back to 1972 with KHVH (KITV).
      To find anything much older, it might be on film rather then tape. While the VTR was invented in the 50's, I'm not sure that it became common at TV stations until later.

I think the very first VTR I ever saw was around '71 or '72. A b&w model.

Comment

KGMB had a 50th anniversary special a few years ago which had a short segment on their early news programming in which Wayne Collins appeared briefly. I'll have to look around as I did tape it.

The first consumer video tape recorder I saw was a SONY Beta machine at Shirokiya during Christmas 1969. It was a monstrous unit that came with a Trinitron TV and was priced at $4500. The tape capacity was 30-minutes.

I have a 1966 episode of THE FUGITIVE in which a VTR and video camera are featured.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          To find anything much older, it might be on film rather then tape. While the VTR was invented in the 50's, I'm not sure that it became common at TV stations until later.

I think the very first VTR I ever saw was around '71 or '72. A b&w model.
          Ampex invented the VTR in 1958. By the following decade, I'm sure our local stations had professional models in order to carry out their operations. (Consumer models/formats started coming out in the early '70s.) But the thing is, the stations did not save much of the programming, as one of the "benefits" of video was being able to erase and re-record new programming on the tape. And because video tape back then was very expensive and bulky, very few TV stations maintained an archive back in the '60s. What does remain are usually just partial fragments and snippets or historic newscasts. Once in a while, people will find tape reels that the stations lost track of and there you may find some rare program/footage.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

A few more from the early to mid 80's:

KHON-Carolyn Tanaka
            KGMB-Elisa Yadao
            KITV-Rick Quan (sports) Now in San Francisco I thnk

Aj

Comment

Speaking of Emme she is having a TV special tonight on KHON at 9pm I believe.

Aj
              Last edited by Kalihiboy; June 28, 2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

(Rick Quan) http://cbs5.com/bios/local_bio_288144941.html

Comment

Here are some more:

1972 KHVH: Don Rockwell (Is retired and lives in Mexico from what I have heard)
                  1972 KHVH: Dick Cook
                  1975 KGMB: Linda Coble (anyone know what she is up to these days?)
                  1975 KHON: Barbara Tanabe
                  1975 KHVH: Jacque Scott
                  1975 KGMB: Bambi Weil (Was a circuit court judge last I knew)

Aj
                  Last edited by Kalihiboy; July 4, 2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    Here are some more:

1972 KHVH: Don Rockwell (Is retired and lives in Mexico from what I have heard)
                    1972 KHVH: Dick Cook
                    1975 KGMB: Linda Coble (anyone know what she is up to these days?)
                    1975 KHON: Barbara Tanabe
                    1975 KHVH: Jacque Scott
                    1975 KGMB: Bambi Weil (Was a circuit court judge last I knew)

Aj

With a name like Bambi, she'd have made a great court TV judge. Judge Bambi...even got a great stage name!

Another name from the past: Courtney Harrington
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Ampex invented the VTR in 1958. By the following decade, I'm sure our local stations had professional models in order to carry out their operations. (Consumer models/formats started coming out in the early '70s.) But the thing is, the stations did not save much of the programming, as one of the "benefits" of video was being able to erase and re-record new programming on the tape. And because video tape back then was very expensive and bulky, very few TV stations maintained an archive back in the '60s. What does remain are usually just partial fragments and snippets or historic newscasts. Once in a while, people will find tape reels that the stations lost track of and there you may find some rare program/footage.
                      I remember the AMPEX Porta Paks using the 1/2" wide video tapes mounted on 5-inch reels. The recorder was carried on a shoulder strap while the battery pack balanced the load on the other shoulder. The camera was mounted on the shoulder. All three items weighed in at around 50-lbs and each reel had enough time for 30-minutes.

I was in High school when we recorded a documentary on the Honolulu Performing Arts program using these Porta Paks. Some UH student entered it in a BBC film festival and we won an award mostly for cinamatography. I was a cameraman and because of the weight of the recorder and battery pack, I kept having to heave the load on my shoulders while recording with the camera. The camera kept shaking as if we were on a boat and the net effect was probably the first attempt at an MTV style interview with the camera focusing on the person's left ear then the right eyeball and who knows what the lens was pointing at while I was balancing that stupid recorder. I think I must have shot for a few seconds of some Ballet dancer's cleavage as we interviewed her with the troupe she was with.

All the editing was done on an Ampex SEG (Special Effects Generator) to produce the wipes and transistions for the documentary.
                      Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 4, 2007, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        With a name like Bambi, she'd have made a great court TV judge. Judge Bambi...even got a great stage name!

Another name from the past: Courtney Harrington
                        BAMBI WEIL is now Judge ELIZABETH EDEN HIFO, as I recall.

There was another judge who was formerly in the newsroom. I believe that was KAREN AHN.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                          BAMBI WEIL is now Judge ELIZABETH EDEN HIFO, as I recall.

There was another judge who was formerly in the newsroom. I believe that was KAREN AHN.
                          how the heck do you get Elizabeth Eden Hifo from Bambi Weil? She shoulda kept Bambi.

Comment

Bambi - nickname for Elizabeth Eden Weil, married a Pacific Islander whose last name is Hifo

Dick Cook is deceased - hell of a voice, notable as one of the original KHAI people (w John Farrington and a bunch of other vets) (Whatever happened to John Farrington?)

Linda Coble does community work, runs the Kids Vote program among other things, and occasionally does fill-in reporter work on KHON2

Barbara Tanabe runs Ho`akea
                            http://www.hoakeacomm.com/

And whatever DID happen to Jacque Scott (red head if I recall correctly).

Comment

Another blast from the past. John Noland, former KHON sports anchor. He's been doing mostly radio work as of late. In a couple of weeks, he'll be starting a new sports talk show in the afternoons on KUMU.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Ooops, it's EDEN ELIZABETH HIFO for Bambi Weil. My bad .........

Comment

Working...
                                X