Neighborhoods around U of H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighborhoods around U of H?

Hello. My husband and I are moving to Oahu this year. He will arrive in September to start a job at U of H and I will arrive in December (hopefully). What are the pros and cons of the neighborhoods around U of H? I know traffic is bad, so we'd rather live near than far. I have had a 50 min commute for 5 years now and I'm sick of it!

Some info: We may not have a car there unless we decide we need to lease (I don't know where my job will be just yet). Also we have two dogs, both over 25 lbs. I know dog friendly places are hard to come by, but I hope we can find something

Also, any recs on hotels/hostels my husband can stay in while he looks for a place?

Many thanks!
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Re: Neighborhoods around U of H?

I take it, it is at UH at Manoa as opposed to one of the five other UH campuses on Oahu (which are UH West Oahu, Kapiolani Community College, Leeward Community College, Honolulu Community College or Windward Community College)?

Assuming it is at UH Manoa and he doesn't mind taking TheBus he might want to find places that are serviced by the City Express Route A, or Routes 4, 6 or 18.

Another route to consider is the number 1. It doesn't go to UH Manoa directly but it does stop about a couple of blocks away and runs kind of frequently.

Comment

[quote=helen;150954]I take it, it is at UH at Manoa as opposed to one of the five other UH campuses on Oahu (which are UH West Oahu, Kapiolani Community College, Leeward Community College, Honolulu Community College or Windward Community College)?

Oops. I forgot that U of H had so many campuses It will be Manoa. He has no problem taking the bus, so this info is very helpful. Thanks!
      Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Okay you say ya got 2 dogs and i'd seek out apartment facilites that are pet friendly. There is a craigslist version of honolulu and map out surrounding cities of U of H and see what ur able to afford for starters.

Comment

I am considering a move to Hawaii too. I have been looking at hicentral.com & also Honolulu craig's list. I'm afraid from what I have seen you will have limited selection on rentals with two dogs over 25lbs. I have two small dogs & have seen some rentals that will allow small pets, but not too many that allow all dogs.

Just wanted you to be aware that this may be an issue in finding a rental and you may have to look a little harder to find something. If you find other websites that has rentals, let me know.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by kool_kat View Post
            I am considering a move to Hawaii too. I have been looking at hicentral.com & also Honolulu craig's list. I'm afraid from what I have seen you will have limited selection on rentals with two dogs over 25lbs. I have two small dogs & have seen some rentals that will allow small pets, but not too many that allow all dogs.

Just wanted you to be aware that this may be an issue in finding a rental and you may have to look a little harder to find something. If you find other websites that has rentals, let me know.

Kathryn
            Yeah, we got that feeling when we started looking at craig's list a few weeks ago. I did find this site: http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/progra...sing/index.asp

Good luck in the search for a place

Comment

Originally posted by foxyfox31 View Post
              Yeah, we got that feeling when we started looking at craig's list a few weeks ago. I did find this site: http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/progra...sing/index.asp

Thanks for the website - that is very helpful. Also, have you looked at procedures for bringing dogs over? I glanced at it & saw it included having them tagged with an identification chip and some other procedures.

Kathryn

Comment

For all of you looking for living space in Honolulu - instead of going to Craigslist, why not just pick up the phone & call some property management companies here? They can give you better advice and also tell you what is out there price-wise and pet-wise. You can find listings for them in online yellow pages, then use your free long distance service (that many folks have), and talk to a person. and just talking to a management company is also free! Sometimes we are all too dependent on the internet and forget how simple it is to just talk to a person instead.

Also, I believe UH has some faculty housing for families - have you checked into that?

Well, that is what I would do if I were planning this kind of move.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I forgot about the UH housing. Anyway here is the web site for that but none of the rental units allows pets.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    I forgot about the UH housing. Anyway here is the web site for that but none of the rental units allows pets.
                    Yeah, we saw that. It's too bad they won't allow dogs! My husband will be going to Honolulu in September without me or the dogs. He could always live in a place that doesn't take dogs temporarily while he looks for one that does. I will arrive in December, so that gives him some time

Comment

Thanks for the website - that is very helpful. Also, have you looked at procedures for bringing dogs over? I glanced at it & saw it included having them tagged with an identification chip and some other procedures.

Kathryn
                      This stuff takes forever! There is a huge checklist and a required blood test that must take place 120 days before the dog arrives. If you are moving soon, get started now!! This is why our one dog can't arrive until over a month after Brian does...he just had his test done last week and so he can't arrive until October at the earliest.

Comment

Yeah, I was reading about that on some website. My one dog already has a location chip which I am thinking counts as the identification chip. I got her free and the previous people had it done. I would still need to get the other one done. What is the blood test testing for - rabies? I didn't know you could test for that by blood test.

Are you planning on following the procedures where you can take them straight from the airport or where they will have to go into quarantine? After you go through the process with your dogs, you'll need to post what you did and how it went and if there were any surprises.

For me right now, Hawaii is just a dream. I have a plan to get over there within the next year. I work for the Feds and am trying to get a job through my agency, so my move will depend on that.

Comment

Clearly, the dogs are a priority and you need to find a place that will accept them. Keep looking for what you want, but realize that with priority #1 in mind, you may have to settle for something a bit further away than you'd like. But as Helen says, the bus system is good. And if you end up with a car and living in Pearl City or Ewa Beach or Mililani and you DO have to get back into traffic, at least you'll be in traffic in Hawaii.

Good luck. There are dog-friendly rentals out there. My friend just rented her house in Mililani to a man with a dog.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeah, I was reading about that on some website. My one dog already has a location chip which I am thinking counts as the identification chip. I got her free and the previous people had it done. I would still need to get the other one done. What is the blood test testing for - rabies? I didn't know you could test for that by blood test.

Are you planning on following the procedures where you can take them straight from the airport or where they will have to go into quarantine? After you go through the process with your dogs, you'll need to post what you did and how it went and if there were any surprises.
                            You have to get a blood test done by your vet and sent to one of two certified labs in the US 120 days before your dog arrives in Hawaii. I believe the 120 days begins from when you get the results of the test. You also have to have the microchip number (your vet can do that) and two rabbies vaccine certificates for the two most recent vaccines given. Also, you have to ask your vet to admin a flea/tick preventative no more than 14 days before your dog arrives and you must check for ticks the day of.
                            If you do all this correctly, you have a 5 day or less quarantine. If not, it's 120 days! There is a checklist at the DOA Hawaii website. Start looking it over at least 6 months before you plan on arriving.
                            I hope you make it there and that this info helps

Comment

Originally posted by foxyfox31 View Post
                              You have to get a blood test done by your vet and sent to one of two certified labs in the US 120 days before your dog arrives in Hawaii. I believe the 120 days begins from when you get the results of the test. You also have to have the microchip number (your vet can do that) and two rabbies vaccine certificates for the two most recent vaccines given. Also, you have to ask your vet to admin a flea/tick preventative no more than 14 days before your dog arrives and you must check for ticks the day of.
                              If you do all this correctly, you have a 5 day or less quarantine. If not, it's 120 days! There is a checklist at the DOA Hawaii website. Start looking it over at least 6 months before you plan on arriving.
                              I hope you make it there and that this info helps
                              That definitely helps. I'll start looking over this.

Comment

Working...
                              X