Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neighborhoods around U of H?

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    i love living in makiki. ala moana beach, which is great for families and is a popular spot for joggers/in-line skaters as well as beachgoers is all of eight minutes' drive away. walmart is within the same drive-time radius, as is ala moana shopping center, ward warehouse, ward centre, a large movie-plex. additionally, there are many different korean, chinese, thai, vietnamese, japanese, gosh i could go on, very yummy hole-in-the-wall type places to eat. there's also a jazz club within 30 minutes walk (yes, i said walk) away (well, it's 30 minutes from where i live). there's even a great little wine store just one street over in the little shopping complex one street over from my condo.

and i did already mention that the #4 University bus runs right through, and in fact, it takes only 15 minutes to get to campus?

anyway, to make this post more even-handed, this piece from the honolulu advertiser two years ago.
    Thanks, the article was very interesting. Our friends of the family have family in Honolulu, so they are going to give us some info, too. I'm so glad I found a place to get info before hand. I never again want to move into a neighborhood without asking locals about it first!
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
      you should really forget Manoa unless you don't mind paying a premium.

Apts are in high demand and the homes will be very pricey as Manoa is a very desireable neighborhood. 40-50 year old homes run average 700K-800K. Newer ones are all 1mil+. That makes renting them very pricey.

I recommend looking in:
      Kapahulu
      Kaimuki
      Moilili
      Kakaako
      Makiki
      Ala Moana
      University

All of these neighborhoods will have some reasonableably priced apts. Check out the local newspapers. starbulletin.com honoluluadvertiser.com
      Thanks. We've been checking Craig'slist and we will check out these papers as well. We are only going to rent and start with an apartment for a while. When we've lived there a bit and gotten a budget set (and gotten me a job!!), we'll reassess and see where we stand. We probably won't be on Oahu for more than a few years (Brian's job is a 1-4 year post-doc), so we definitely don't want to buy...not that we could afford to anyhow
      Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: Neighborhoods around U of H microclimates?

I've heard that Honolulu has microclimates...that some areas get more rain than others and that some are hotter than others. Can I get more info on this? This would also help us decide on an area to live in. There really isn't much info on the net about this that I could find.

Comment

Manoa gets more rain (aka Manoa Mist). You'll notice most of the students run around with folding umbrellas sticking out of their backpacks.

For the areas discussed, in general you'll be wetter as you get closer to the mountains, hotter as you get to the beach. However, except for the valleys (like Manoa) I don't think there is that much difference. It will vary more neighborhood by neighborhood depending on the building blocking the trade winds.

As you get away from Honolulu, you'll see more variation. The Windward side is wet. The Leeward side is dry. Mililani is higher and cooler.

Comment

I was born and raised in Palolo. Cool as hell.

Most culturally active of all the places you listed (Polynesian-wise).
            Also, music wise, we had as residents:

- Bruddah IZ
            - Ernie/John Cruz (Bruddah John won a grammy and is from accross the street!)
            - Troy Fernandez
            - The group 'Palolo' and 'Ooklah the Moc'
            - Moe Keale
            - Kelly Boy Delima
            - Many more, and many jam here in garages...so tuff crap if you don't like hearing live music from your neighbors. Know before you go, don't wreck up the tradition here.

Might be hard to find a rental as there are many around my age (25) in my situation who still wish to live in 'da valley, but not with 'da parents (I don't and found another place here)...and add to that the proximity to U.H. Manoa and K.C.C. (community college), and their shortage of dorms for students...so it may be tough in this area.

Property values are rising here. Don't blame some of the people in the housing for being 'wild'. Most of my lifelong friends live in 'da housing, and they are well aware of risisng property taxes in the area. They are doing their part to keep them as low as possible (this valley used to be hardcore b/c of Polynesian and Asian gangs, much more mellow now).

I don't really care how people feel about all this, becuase it is benefitting our family as homeowners (and renters, as the high taxes will most likely be passed on to tenants).

PALOLO PRIDE!
            Sing with me, everyone!
            "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
            like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
            The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
            http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Forgot to mention, Palolo is the next valley Koko Head (east) of Manoa. Not many apartments/condos here (similar to Manoa...a little cheaper). You may be able to rent a floor/multiple rooms in a house w/a yard for the dogs. W/your husbands job, it should be affordable.
              Sing with me, everyone!
              "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
              like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
              http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
              The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
              http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X