Hobbies & Interests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobbies & Interests

Your user profile here includes a place where you can share your hobbies, yet lots of folks don't fill them out for whatever reason.

Well here's a general thread to share and discuss your hobbies & pastime interests. Anything you enjoy doing in your spare time.

Many folks have skill-sharpening hobbies such as playing a musical instrument, playing sports, woodcrafting, working on cars or computers, building model kits, photography, picture painting, sewing and so on.

Others enjoy collecting stuff like toys, cards, coins, dolls, etc..

Popular pastime activities often include going to the beach, hanging out with friends and family, watching TV, surfing the web, playing video games, shopping, eating and sleeping.

The reason this came up was this...

I stayed at mom's place the other night, when as I was about to put my shirt on a hanger, I realized half the hangers in the closet were covered in yarn crochet. I momentarily thought to myself, "What was grandma thinkin' when she decided to cover hangers in crochet? What purpose does that serve for the hanger? Does it make the shoulder of the garment look less creased? Or does it just make the hanger look more "pretty"?" Then I thought about it again and realized all it was, was something relaxing for her to do to make the time go by. Which is why many folks take up a hobby to begin with.

What are yours?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hobbies & Interests

heheheh...

Some of my hats...

and scarves.

From the scarves I make these foa my hats!

Auntie Lynn:
    Last edited by 1stwahine; June 22, 2007, 11:20 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I sew, for work and relaxation.
      In fact when we moved I had to shut the shop down for a month and I found myself sewing the kids clothing and just sewing for the heck of it because I missed it. I ended up making myself 5 dresses one day and 3 pairs of Pj's for the kids. I was so stressed out I locked myself in my room and went crazy.

It is my escape from the kids, I can concentrate on what I am doing in my own room and shut the world out.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
        I sew, for work and relaxation.
        During her grade school years, my sister used to sew her own school clothes, because she didn't like what was available in the stores. She'd have a new garment every week because of that. She's really good at it.

Auntie, my mother has a hat and feather lei collection like that. At one time, she was really into making feather leis. I think she took classes from some lady on Kapahulu ave..

Before he got married and had a baby, my friend was into collecting Hot Wheels and Gashapons, which are tiny, intricately-detailed vending machine toys.

This is just a small portion of his collection...

The Ultraman dioramas are super cool, even including exposion plumes and exhaust trails of missles in flight. The painted detail and accuracy are amazing.

Plenty of them were found on eBay, although some were also bought right here at Toys 'N Joys, Shirokiya and MechaHawaii.

$$$$$$
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Auntie Lynn I love it! I make my own hats too, although it's only an occassional thing. This one is my current favorite although it's been too warm to wear it:

I guess most of my hobbies can be summed up by my websites.
          MacRatLove, my webcomic, Better Holes and Garbage, my rat website, and Perfectly Inadequate, my music site. I've been doing website design for about eleven years now. Every once in a while I think I might want to pick it up professionally, but I can't do the more complicated things like flash.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I sew alot of fleece hats for the boys. Of course I have my Hello Kitty hat too.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
              Auntie Lynn I love it! I make my own hats too, although it's only an occassional thing.
              No Darling. I am not talented to make hats. I buy um or it's gifts.

I also have old bottles dat were posted on HT before:
              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...hlight=Bottles

I also collect old stamps and coins, DVD's, VHS Tapes (Movies) and I have a UKAPILA collection of POGS!

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; June 22, 2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

blueyecicle do you have a picture of your Hello Kitty hat? I have a sewing machine and stacks of fabric and patterns but I never really get around to making much, except for hats. I'm always having people asking me to make them hats, but a sophielynette hat is a special gift, not for just anyone!

Ah sorry for the confusion Auntie Lynn. Hats just excite me.

I used to be a collector but as I move around I find that I just don't have the room anymore. Although I do still collect rat stuff. I picked these things up last time I was in Hawaii:

Comment

I can't find the hello kitty picture but I will find the hat tomorrow and post it.
                  Here are a few hats I have made for various purposes.
                  I made both of these.

My favorite

Boys all had matching hats for winter.

Comment

and of course...

Gosh I never realized I made so many hats. I have like 25 more pics of hats I have made...crazy me. PLus I made and gave away 10 last christmas. Maybe that is a hobby too!
                    Last edited by blueyecicle; June 22, 2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I am really into surfing as a hobby(well, more of a lifestyle), cheaper the a shrink. Until recently, I have had a few collector cars, I LOVE turning wrenches. Cooking is also a perpetual hobby, I can not get away from it. Play a bit of Billiards when I can, and LOVE some fooseball too.

As far as interests are concerned, I have way too many. SO much that I want to do or at least dabble in, but hard to balance. Travel is #1 interest. Cultural Anthropology falls right in there too. Computers is a close second.

Auntie Lynn! Love the Set up! You and my momma would be 2 peas in a pod!

Blue, Love the Kids pics, priceless!
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                        Cooking is also a perpetual hobby, I can not get away from it.
                        And even better when you're paid to do it! Surf will soon be just a step out your door here in Waikiki!

While growing up, my favorite hobby was building model kits. Planes, cars and ships. Had some great finished displays, but eventually most of them either broke, I didn't have space to display them and got rid of 'em, or on New Years they became firecracker fodder. lol

I still have an unbuilt Kaiyodo vinyl kit of Kikaida (beautiful kit) in storage that I really want to finish, but I need a new air brush system and TIME to finish it. The last model I completed was over 10 years ago. It's a Revell 1:48 scale A-6E Intruder (military aircraft) that I have on display near my desk at work.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Those are absolutely adorable Blue, I especially love the little skunk!

Tattrat, I know what you mean about the dabbling. There are so many things I'd like to try, especially since I'm in art school right now and so there are so many options.

I love to play pool, but I don't do it very often, and I'm not very good at it. My father's a pool wizard, has tons of trophies, so I feel like I ought to be good too, but alas, I don't seem to have inherited that gene. Although I'll probably get stuck with the gene for grey hair by the time I'm 30..

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                            Auntie Lynn! Love the Set up! You and my momma would be 2 peas in a pod!
                            Right on TATTRAT!!

My favorite Hobby is Singing Karaoke!

Auntie Lynn
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; June 22, 2007, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Hobbies... hmmmm.... record collecting, photography, computers (Macs and selected alternate operating systems), old cameras & other obsolete technologies / media, movies, DVD collection, watching TV, listening to music and.... trying to get rid of the old clutter I collected!
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X