Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offer Not Valid in Hawaii

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
    same thing with the SPAM special edition anniversary t-shirt..not valid in Hawaii! Ha!

anyway, I protested and sent it in a few weeks ago, along with a check to pay for postage/handling, and even added more, and also mentioned my SPAM Fan Club member #, hopefully, in a few weeks I'll get a t-shirt...
    I couldn't believe they weren't shipping the spam shirt to hawaii...how lame, i thought. I ended up having it shipped to my parent's house in california. Took about a 8 weeks. Apparently, my dad's wearing town with much, much pride.

Comment

With the subject of Hawai'i and Alaska residents being excluded from many national sweepstakes, I thought I mention a contest that HI and AK residents can enter. It would be so ironic if a HI resident won the grand prize being offered in this sweepstakes: King's Hawaiian Bread has a sweepstakes going now in which the Grand Prize winner, plus three other guests, will receive a 7 day/6 night stay at the (what I'm assuming, based on the ad content I'm reading) Hilton Waikoloa Village. The contest is open to legal residents of the 50 states plus DC. One can enter the contest online at www.grillhawaiianstyle.com. I think it would be so neat if someone from HI actually won the grand prize! I haven't read the rules of the sweepstakes, but I'm betting that there is a no substitution of prizes clause somewhere in there, which would prevent a HI resident who won the grand prize, from asking for say, a substitute grand prize vacation to Key West, Las Vegas or Seattle, or whereever. Not that anybody might....seven days/six nights in a "luxurious oceanfront suite" in Waikoloa sounds pretty nice, no matter where one calls home...Hawai'i not excluded!

Comment

The excessive rates charged by UPS and FedEx to Hawaii are ridiculous. They were set when Hawaii was an end destination, but we no longer are. Every time a legislator comes into the office I squawk about it, but they just shrug. Bottom line -- it means that Hawaii small businesses cannot compete in a global economy, or even the national economy, because there is no level playing field. Raise the rates in all the other states 2 percent, I say.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
          The excessive rates charged by UPS and FedEx to Hawaii are ridiculous. They were set when Hawaii was an end destination, but we no longer are. Every time a legislator comes into the office I squawk about it, but they just shrug. Bottom line -- it means that Hawaii small businesses cannot compete in a global economy, or even the national economy, because there is no level playing field. Raise the rates in all the other states 2 percent, I say.
          That IS rediculous because with all the stuff being made in China,Taiwan, Korea, Pakistan and Indonesia, you know those ships are docking and dropping in Hawaii on the way to the mainland.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I wish that was the case but the truth is, Hawaii is an end destination. Don't think either UPS or FedEx use HNL as a hub. And one sees less and less really big widebodies (747s, DC-10s, MD-11s, etc) and more of the smaller widebodies like 767s, A330s these days.

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
            That IS rediculous because with all the stuff being made in China,Taiwan, Korea, Pakistan and Indonesia, you know those ships are docking and dropping in Hawaii on the way to the mainland.
            That's a negative. The Jones Act prevents that which is why Matson has been so safe from competition over the years. The Matson container ships one might see at Sand Island are puny compared to the giants used to ply between Asia and Conus. I'm not even sure the facilities at Sand Island can even handle them.

Comment

The promotion of taking a chance at winning something of value, even without having to purchase that chance is considered gambling in Hawaii. Ridiculous!

Here's a link to the Hawaii Gambling Laws...
              http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Hawaii/

And the specific section pertaining to things like this JEEP giveaway that I wish I could enter.

"§712-1224 Possession of gambling records in the first degree.

(1) A person commits the offense of possession of gambling records in the first degree if the person knowingly possesses, produces, or distributes any writing, paper, instrument, or article:

(a) Of a kind commonly used in the operation or promotion of a bookmaking scheme or enterprise, and constituting, reflecting, or representing more than five bets totaling more than $500; or

(b) Of a kind commonly used in the operation, promotion, or playing of a lottery or mutuel scheme or enterprise, and constituting, reflecting, or representing more than one hundred plays or chances therein or one play or chance wherein the winning amount exceeds $5,000.

(2) Possession of gambling records in the first degree is a class C felony."

Oh well...
              Last edited by Menehune Man; June 28, 2007, 08:03 AM.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                "§712-1224 Possession of gambling records in the first degree.

(1) A person commits the offense of possession of gambling records in the first degree if the person knowingly possesses, produces, or distributes any writing, paper, instrument, or article:

(b) Of a kind commonly used in the operation, promotion, or playing of a lottery or mutuel scheme or enterprise, and constituting, reflecting, or representing more than one hundred plays or chances therein or one play or chance wherein the winning amount exceeds $5,000.
                Odd, I didn't see your quote until I went to reply.

But......

Much of the law is in definition.

(6) "Lottery" means a gambling scheme in which:
                (a) The players pay or agree to pay something of value for chances

(7) "Mutuel" means a form of lottery in which the winning chances or plays are not determined upon the basis of a drawing or other act on the part of persons conducting or connected with the scheme, but upon the basis of the outcome or outcomes of a future contingent event or events otherwise unrelated to the particular scheme.
                So, how is the Jeep giveaway illegal? If I were to interpret the laws the way you are trying to, wouldn't that make many of the radio station giveaways illegal? Yes, most are under $5000, but I remember KSSK once doing a $1 million giveaway.

However, what you've pointed out may explain why the CONSUS companies don't want to offer their prizes here. They took it at face value.

Comment

I believe it fits the three items in Bold above.

Not completely sure though.

Comment

If the activity is not a "lottery or mutuel scheme or enterprise" as defined by law (not Webster) then it's not illegal. I've shown it's not a lottery or metuel. I can't find the definition of "enterprise".

Note that "the winning amount exceeds $5,000" is what makes it a class C felony. §712-1225 "Possession of gambling records in the second degree" (a misdemeanor) has the same definition but without the $5,000 threshold. So if you engage in any lottery - for even $1, it's still technically a crime. But as long as we don't pay to enter, then it's not a lottery.

Comment

Because I split my time between Hawaii and upstate NY, I am constantly shipping stuff. A postal worker turned me on to flat rate shipping a few years back. It's $8.95 per box anywhere in the US - including Hawaii no matter how heavy. Won't work for large items but I've found I can fit a lot of stuff in them.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                        A postal worker turned me on to flat rate shipping a few years back. It's $8.95 per box anywhere in the US - including Hawaii no matter how heavy. Won't work for large items but I've found I can fit a lot of stuff in them.
                        How long does it take from New York to get there with such a cheap price?

Comment

Originally posted by M.Chao View Post
                          How long does it take from New York to get there with such a cheap price?
                          Usually 5-6 working days. I've had stuff shipped on Monday and it's gotten here on Friday. But if a weekend or holiday is in there it will be a few days later. It's the same as regular mail.

Comment

Jeep is sponsoring a giveaway that Hawaii and Alaska cannot enter,
                            I'm getting a group together for a light-hearted protest!
                            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-e3911b6a9a20
                            We have some answers sort of...

Quote:
                            1. Eligibility: The Jeep Geocaching 2007 Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes” or “Promotion”) is offered in and open only to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and District of Columbia (“U.S.”) age 18 and older who have a valid driver’s license. Employees, officers, and directors of DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC (“Sponsor”), Rodale Inc., Alcone Marketing Group, BBDO Detroit, Groundspeak Inc., Jeep® dealers, and each of their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, web masters and web suppliers, and the immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings and children and their spouses and in-laws ) and persons living in the same household of such individuals are not eligible. Void in AK, HI, and where prohibited.

The last sentence specifically excludes Alaska and Hawaii.

Quote:
                            5. Prize/Odds: (1) Grand Prize: 2008 Jeep Liberty. Estimated MSRP: $29,000. Vehicle will be delivered with standard equipment for make and model; available upgrades and options are at the sole expense of the winner. Winner will be required to show proof of current insurance and current valid driver’s license at time of prize acceptance and pick-up. Registration, title, licensing fees, taxes, insurance and costs associated with the vehicle, are solely the responsibility of the winner. Vehicle will be delivered at a dealership selected by Sponsor near winner’s residence. Winner must pick up vehicle within 45 days of notification that vehicle is available, or prize may be forfeited, and an alternate winner selected. Winner does not have choice of vehicle color and actual prize vehicle may differ from that shown in advertisements. Taxes and expenses not stated related to acceptance and use of prize are solely the responsibility of the winner. An IRS Form 1099 for the fair market value of the prize will be filed and a copy provided to winner. Any difference between the stated and actual value of prize will not be awarded. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.

Notice that “…costs associated with the vehicle, are solely the responsibility of the winner.” Then it goes on to say “Vehicle will be delivered at a dealership selected by Sponsor near winner’s residence.”

Which implies there is a specific unit (Jeep) and shipping will be provided by the sponsor. So they seem to be just not interested in the possibility of the extra cost to Alaska or Hawaii.

And the sponsor is….

Quote:
                            Sponsor: DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC, 1000 Chrysler Drive, Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766.

So all those that wish to protest there is the address to write to.

Comment

You know how Hawai'i... Is excluded from many from many Sweepstakes and contests?

Well, here's another.
                              Jeep is sponsoring a giveaway that Hawaii and Alaska cannot enter,
                              I'm getting a group together for a light-hearted protest!
                              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-e3911b6a9a20

I've also emailed Jeep and Garmin(official sponsor) to log my "UNFAIR" complaint.
                              We had a Terrific night on the 8th! Ended up at the "Brew Moon" 30+ Strong and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!
                              Check out the link above to see the logs and photos.

Come on JEEP! We want to have a chance to win one too!

Comment

The reason why Ebay vendors won't ship to Hawaii is because they can ship anywhere within CONUS within 5-days using Parcel Post. You can ship to Hawaii via Parcel Post but when it hits the docks on the West Coast Parcel Post mail takes a very low priority and by law can sit no longer than 8-weeks before the "MUST SAIL" priority is placed on them.

Typically parcel post mail is bundled until there is enough of it to "Sail" to Hawaii on surface shipments. That's why your mail looks like it went thru a shredder by the time it gets to you.

Parcel Post is much cheaper than Priority but when vendors say, "Delivery within 5-6 business days" on CONUS with parcel post you'll get it that fast. But if they tell you the same thing for Hawaii they'd have to use Priority Mail to ensure speedy delivery and that all cuts into their "Handling" fees that they use to compensate for their cheap retail rate.

Geeks.com is a good example of that. for 3-5 day shipment (the cheapest) they tell you they will ship via Priority mail but will really ship via Parcel Post because for most of the US, the delivery time is about the same between either methods. Not so for Hawaii and Alaska.

I called Geeks.com and complained that their mailing schedule indicated 3-5 business days via USPS Priority mail and it was over 6-weeks already. They told me they sent it out Priority and I should have gotten it by now.

When it came in on the 8th week I asked the postal worker how it was shipped. He indicated it was parcel post. This was for a a 250-gb hard drive that was supposed to go into a computer build. I ended up having to purchase another hard drive thru NewEgg.com and paid for the FedEx 2nd day air service to complete the build. I had to eat the cost as well. Sad part is that I don't charge for my work except for parts so I took a loss on this build.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X