Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kauai Trip....where should I stay ?

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    We got public trans, altho it's not as intricate as TheBus. If you're sightseeing (and not with a tour company), you definitely need a car. Attractions are far apart and often remote.

You should check out the National Tropical Botanical Gardens at Limahuli (in Haena, at the northern end of the highway). Awesome, awesome views of Hanalei Bay with several waterfalls in an archaeological preservation site. Just as nice (although slightly artificial) is NTBG's Allerton Gardens in Kalaheo. The beach on that property is ridiculous. Call them if they'll be charging visitors on that day. Saturdays are always free.
    First, thanks for the information.

Does the public transportation comes often and also goes through the canyon? Since I don't have a car, I didn't really plan to go elsewhere but Waimea Canyon. Just spend 3-4 days at the Canyon kind of thing..?

I'm going to Hilo first because my sister is moving (have to help her with the luggages and settle). I don't want to spend too much money (thinking around $300 at most) for 3-5 days.

I looked through Hawaiiweb.com for info, but they didn't have any tour activities for the Canyon.

If there's anything like just transportation to the top (not really tour but just some sort of transportation), it would be nice, because I'm not a fan of guided tour.

Is there cabins/b&b/lodging in the canyon?

I read about the National Tropical Garden. It looks awesome but it has to be guided tour though.. haha but I would love to walk around by myself and take photos of flowers. Big fan of botanical gardens. Almost been to every gardens in here.

Comment

I know this is not going to work for either of you, but for future Googlers, may I submit for consideration the Tip Top Motel and Cafe in Lihue? It's cheap (I think I paid $35 or $40 for a single), it's clean, and it's nicely located. It's also pretty dang close to a cell, with cinderblock walls and linoleum tile with no carpet. Bars on the window would really have completed the picture. My room had a TV and a small fridge. It wasn't homey by any standard, but it did the job.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by jungbum View Post
        First, thanks for the information.

Does the public transportation comes often and also goes through the canyon? Since I don't have a car, I didn't really plan to go elsewhere but Waimea Canyon. Just spend 3-4 days at the Canyon kind of thing..?

I'm going to Hilo first because my sister is moving (have to help her with the luggages and settle). I don't want to spend too much money (thinking around $300 at most) for 3-5 days.

I looked through Hawaiiweb.com for info, but they didn't have any tour activities for the Canyon.

If there's anything like just transportation to the top (not really tour but just some sort of transportation), it would be nice, because I'm not a fan of guided tour.

Is there cabins/b&b/lodging in the canyon?

I read about the National Tropical Garden. It looks awesome but it has to be guided tour though.. haha but I would love to walk around by myself and take photos of flowers. Big fan of botanical gardens. Almost been to every gardens in here.
        No lodging in the canyon--it's pretty hot and sparse there. Cabins in Koke'e are pretty close, as are the Waimea Plantation Cottages. Lotsa little motels in Waimea town tho. NTBG got about 5 gardens in different parts of Kauai...the 2 I mentioned are the best out of the 5.

Here's the Kauai Bus schedules and routes. I don't think the bus goes near the canyon. http://www.kauai.gov/Government/Depa...8/Default.aspx
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I know this is not going to work for either of you, but for future Googlers, may I submit for consideration the Tip Top Motel and Cafe in Lihue? It's cheap (I think I paid $35 or $40 for a single), it's clean, and it's nicely located. It's also pretty dang close to a cell, with cinderblock walls and linoleum tile with no carpet. Bars on the window would really have completed the picture. My room had a TV and a small fridge. It wasn't homey by any standard, but it did the job.
          And the cafe downstairs is what's hot in the streets.

flickr

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just an update -- the "Guava Kai" plantation up on the North Shore is closed for good as far as I know.

I second the recommendation for "Kapa'a Sands" -- while it has been sold, it is still open as of now and is very inexpensive and very "local" -- part of the same Hawai'i owned chain that owns "Maui Seaside" in Kahului and one other hotel in Kona on the Big Island (I forget the name). Always good bang for your buck if you are not looking for big tourist accomodations. Someone told me they used it a couple of weeks ago for a scene in the upcoming movie "Tropic Thunder" which is being filmed here this summer and fall.

Just my personal opinion -- you don't need A/C as long as you have a ceiling fan -- unless you are a diehard a/c person at home that is!

Malama Pono,

Comment

I researched some more and found lots of one day tour that goes to different attractions (from like Roberts Hawaii, Kauai Discovery ,etc). Are those worth it? It was around $50-70.

Maybe one or two day trip is possible?

Not so expensive either without the lodging..?

$80 (round trip airfare) + $70 (tour) = $150-200 with personal spendings, etc

How does that sound?

Waimea Canyon & Fern Grotto Tour (but I heard Fern Grotto is closed?)
              http://www.robertshawaii.com/kauai/w...ern-grotto.php

Some others..
              http://www.polyad.com/waimea_wailua.php

What are some good/recommendable tours? I only heard of Roberts Hawaii from Google search I did.

If anybody have been on one of those tours, how are they?

Thanks.

Comment

I researched some more and found lots of one day tour that goes to different attractions (from like Roberts Hawaii, Kauai Discovery ,etc). Are those worth it? It was around $50-70.[...]
                By chance, have you compared the price of renting a car (don't forget to include gas!) to the price of tours of the areas you want to see...esp. since you don't care for guided tours?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  By chance, have you compared the price of renting a car (don't forget to include gas!) to the price of tours of the areas you want to see...esp. since you don't care for guided tours?
                  Good point. Rental cars are usually cheaper compared to Oahu (and depending on the agent, they'll give you additional discounts for being kama'aina). A rental might be convenient if you don't want to be tied down by tour times.

flickr

Comment

I don't have a license.. haha sorry.

Comment

I don't have a license.. haha sorry.
                      Guess that dictates a guided tour!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                        Good point. Rental cars are usually cheaper compared to Oahu [...]
                        A bit of a highjack here! Family friends are visiting me on Oahu in early Oct. They called various rental car companies and ended up booking a compact for one day for...$78.00, exclusive of extraneous coverages... That was thru Dollar.

I was stunned. I'm pretty much out of the rental car loop except when my car is being serviced. I usually pay a little under $30/day with Enterprise thru a deal my mechanic has with them. So, I went downstairs to National and got a $29.88 rate, exclusive of taxes...not kamaaina...and no negotiating involved! That's a huge discrepancy and it makes me wonder how many other tourists are paying such high rates.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

Comment

Since it's 18 miles long (I assume it's one way right?) it's probably impossible to make it on walk in one day. I did bike through Kaena point 3 times, but it'd be killing myself rather than traveling.

How does Roberts Hawaii tour sounds or any other recommendations?

Comment

Roberts Hawai'i is the largest of the tour operators. And it would depend on where you're staying to determine whether or not and where they will pick you up for the tour. Some tours say they will pick up passengers at most major resort hotels all over the island (but they will charge a premium for picking up guests on the north shore), and if you're staying in Waimea or Kekaha, I don't think they would stop to pick you up before heading on up to Waimea Canyon and Koke'e.

You really are handicapped by not having a driver's license, though. You can't even rent a moped without one!

You could investigate the possibility of renting a bicycle and seeing Kauai that way. The prices are reasonable. I don't know how safe the roads are, though (I do know they are just as congested as they are in a large city, even though Kauai is considered rural). When we were driving around Kauai, I didn't notice any hitchhikers, either.

You could also take one of those downhill bike tours (kinda pricey...$98 for the privilege of cruising down from Waimea Canyon to Waimea).

Or, go to the Kauai Visitors' Bureau websiteand ask them for advice.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

jungbum-- best bet, hitch hike your way around Kauai...you'll get to everywhere you wanna go. Try even posting something on Craigslist.

flickr

Comment

You can either walk or take a bicycle within the major towns with no problem but traveling between towns by walking or taking a bicycle is going to be tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X