Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCM Screened Out Introduction

Is anyone catching this?
    It is a very interesting take on gay movie history.

I watched Audrey Hepburn and Shirley McClain and James Garner in
    Children's Hour. Great movie, and very fascinating view from 1960's that says being gay ruins lives and the only way out was suicide.

At a time when the rights of gays and lesbians are being hotly debated, TCM offers a look at the treatment of homosexuals in American movies as inspired by the Richard Barrios book Screened Out: Playing Gay in Hollywood from Edison to Stonewall. Our festival covers roughly the same territory as the book, with the range marked by two TCM premieres: the silent comedy Algie, the Miner (1912), starring Billy Quirk as a “pansy” who wants to become a cowboy; and The Boys in the Band (1970), released at the dawn of the Gay Liberation movement and showing new freedom in portraying homosexual characters, even as some of them descend into self-loathing stereotypes.
    http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=159623
    They are even playing "The Haunting" a classic (favorite of mine) horror flick.

I love watching the changes through the years in Hollywood and how different things are now days.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Re: TCM Screened Out Introduction

If you get a chance, see The Celluloid Closet, a great documentary about gay Hollywood. I saw this in the old Marina Theater; I think it was the last film I ever saw there.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was watching them talk about it, I will have to try to catch it.
      Nothing like the classics!

Comment

wow. I just caught Boys in the Band (and had no clue that you wrote this thread). What a trip of a flick. Wikipedia-ed it up to see the odds and ends and found an interesting review here. The dialogue drove me nuts at times but some of it was still pretty relevant, even if most of it reminded me that we have come far in our society in terms of wrapping our collective brains around it.

Kudos for TCM to run it. Before this evening, I had never heard of the film.

pax

Comment

I stayed up and watched Staircase, even though Armistead Maupin said it wasn't very relevant or good, because the actors did not seem "close".

I disagree.
          I thought it was a classic example of dysfunctional relationships. Could have applied to any gay or straight couple. Self loathing and abusive spouse. Who in the end desperately needed each other despite the abuse, because of pressure from the outside world.
          I enjoyed it and stayed up until 2am to finish it off!

Rex Harrison and Richard Burton kick up their heels and set up housekeeping in Staircase. (1969).

Comment

I watched The FOX lastnight! Man I wish I would have found out about this month's screening earlier! I have enjoyed all the movies I was able to catch!
            The Fox was very good!

Comment

Working...
            X