iPod or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPod or ?

Whoa, calm down, MM. Why don't you step back from the computer you use to work, take a deep breath, and examine your own diatribe and your motivations?

Some people simply don't like iTunes. There are some people who don't like Windows Vista or Mac OS X. And it may have nothing to do with brand loyalty. They may even express the fact that they choose not to use certain programs, but it doesn't make them conscripts in a "Mac/PC war".

Nobody's afraid, nor are they involved in a "Mac/PC war". These are simply figments of your imagination, straw men (or quixotic windmills, whichever you prefer) in an argument you're unilaterally perpetrating -- apparently one that you are fervently refusing to let go.

Sorry if I struck a nerve with "stark raving" or "fanboy". Try not to keep fitting the adjectives like a glove with each successive post of yours, OK?
    Last edited by Vanguard; July 14, 2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
      And you sound like a stark raving fanboy.
      Sorry, Vangard, but this hardly seems like a neutral statement. Though I'd happily cop to the profile! So he's passionate about the software. He also explained a great deal of iTunes' technical merits. And I think we're putting forth pretty reasoned information here as to why iTunes doesn't have to suck, especially for a free music manager. You've stated simply you don't want to install it, but not why. Why? And why the name calling?

You don't need iTunes to use an iPod, and you don't need an iPod to use iTunes. You don't need to make iTunes your default audio player, or let iTunes organized your music files. You don't have to buy your music from the iTunes store. It's a cross-platform, elegant "jukebox" program that even some Apple skeptics think is a pretty great app.

What do you use? Or is it irrelevant? If you have ideological issues with iTunes, or Apple, that's fine... but in that case, this discussion is useless to you, and statements like the above are pointless provocation in the proverbial "war" you supposedly want no part of. Straw men indeed. I hope we can help other folks who are curious, or have more practical questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
        [...]However, I do have a problem with the iPod. Maybe it's just me, but I can't figure out how to get the music on my iPod back to my computer.[...]
        I have a 3G and 5G iPod and there's no way to get your music from the iPod to the computer without a 3rd party utility/software/whatever ya call it!!! I don't use those so I'll let others give you recommendations. The key to your music library, like everything else on your computer is to...BACK UP! I back up iTunes to 3 separate external hard drives. That turned out to be a wise decision (I'm not known for making wise computer-related decisions ). During one iPod sync I kept getting error messages. I took my computer to the Genius Bar where they diagnosed 70+ tunes had become corrupted...reason unknown. Since I had back-ups galore my adrenaline never went into overdrive and all I had to do was copy the latest back-up to the computer!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Sorry, Vangard, but this hardly seems like a neutral statement. Though I'd happily cop to the profile! So he's passionate about the software. He also explained a great deal of iTunes' technical merits. And I think we're putting forth pretty reasoned information here as to why iTunes doesn't have to suck, especially for a free music manager. You've stated simply you don't want to install it, but not why. Why? And why the name calling?
          He's passionate about the software and insists to paint those who choose not to use it as "afraid". I never said iTunes was an inferior program, all I did was simply express that I did not want to use this program. Why is not wanting to use a program seen as wrong by you and MM? Why is the reason for it so important to you? And why stop at me only? If you truly believe that "fanboy" is the most inflammatory thing said in this thread, then sorry pzarquon, I don't believe you're so neutral in this discussion either

You don't need iTunes to use an iPod, and you don't need an iPod to use iTunes. You don't need to make iTunes your default audio player, or let iTunes organized your music files. You don't have to buy your music from the iTunes store. It's a cross-platform, elegant "jukebox" program that even some Apple skeptics think is a pretty great app.
          zff long since pointed that out last page. Yes, yes, I get the point, friend, iTunes is a great, elegant program. You could write commercials

What do you use? Or is it irrelevant? If you have ideological issues with iTunes, or Apple, that's fine... but in that case, this discussion is useless to you, and statements like the above are pointless provocation in the proverbial "war" you supposedly want no part of. Straw men indeed. I hope we can help other folks who are curious, or have more practical questions.
          I'm still looking for the right MP3 player for me, so this thread was indeed quite useful to me until I got flack for not wanting to use iTunes. I have no problem with Apple itself, I think they're a fine company as companies go. If I explained why I don't like iTunes, this would be the subject of another long series of treatises about why it's such a great program and that I am too afraid to use it. I think it's a well saturated topic as it is. Besides, I really don't believe I would receive an unbiased opinion in a place where simply expressing that you don't want to use iTunes warrants this level of vehement opposition.

I came here looking for a player as well, I explained I didn't want to use iTunes, MM doesn't seem to like people who don't like iTunes, says they're afraid of the technology, that "PeeCee" (that's mature ) users only game while Mac users use theirs for work -- my only mistake here was taking the troll bait. Thanks for all the help guys; iTunes is the best, anyone who doesn't want to use it is afraid or has something against Apple.
          Last edited by Vanguard; July 15, 2007, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Great! Now that that's settled...

GeckoGeek, in case you missed it in all the fun, in the hopes of answering your actual question, I did mention the iRiver Clix.

Since you've been managing with a 1GB player, you may not need a 30GB hard-drive based player. The other advantage of flash-based players is that you can treat 'em a bit more roughly. The Clix comes in 4GB, does music, but (unlike the iPod Nano) adds video -- in more formats than the iPod will generally swallow, too. Add on an FM tuner, a voice recorder, and a pretty sharp screen, and it's a great option. I've seen prices as low as $150.

My friend gives it raves, filling a great space between a cheapie off the shelf at WalMart and an iPod. The interface is interesting, two. The whole thing is a four-way navigation pad!

Comment

Since you've been managing with a 1GB player, you may not need a 30GB hard-drive based player.
              Actually it's a 1GB SD player, so I can change cards. Otherwise the 1GB limit would get to me. It was a "test" player to see how well I'll use one. I'm wanting a hard drive version to play a bigger selection of songs. I'm really liking random shuffle, even if it does put Partridge Family and George Thurgood next to each other.

Comment

I'll just add my lousy 2 cents here and chime in with the chorus of iPod owners and users. I have 3 iPods, love them all. 2 Shuffles (low end iPods, 512MB each, can hold around 110 songs) and a 4th generation iPod photo that holds about 7,500 songs of which I have 6,000 something loaded. Frankly I don't have time to listen to all of that music in one sitting, but it sure is nice to have it when you want it.

As for iTunes, I am a Mac guy and I don't mind what it does with my Macs. I have it installed on 2 Macs. The nice thing about iTunes is that it lets me manage my 12,000+ song, audio and video library and allows me to view or listen to it all while I am on the computer despite not owning any iPod with video capability. The interface is easy to use, I love the playlist and album art features, and transfer of music from Mac to iPod is very easy.

The only thing I loathe about all of my iPods is the built in obsolescence.... namely the built-in battery that at some point will hold less and less of a charge for a period of time until they die. Apple would love us to just run out and buy a new iPod after the batteries die.... but I refuse. There is a place on the Big Island that will do battery replacement and fix broken iPods for a fee. I may look into that when the day comes, especially for my 4G iPod. The shuffle I am skeptical about since it is molded shut. However I did buy an external battery adapter to allow it to run on 2 AA batteries. Hopefully this will work after the main battery dies.

Anything that I pay big $$ for should last me for at least 10 years if not longer. I hate it if something like a battery forces me to put a device out of commission in less time.

Case in point is my Palm IIIc. It still works beautifully but I can only get 30 minutes of time on it since the built in battery doesn't hold a charge as it once did when the device was new.

Sadly built in batteries seem to be the trend of many small music players and PDA like devices. Why can't these firms make these devices user accessible so that when the battery dies we can go to the store and buy new batteries? You can do this for digital cameras, many cell phones and other types of electronic devices. Why not iPods?

Are the batteries for non-iPod music devices built in or removeable?
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  The only thing I loathe about all of my iPods is the built in obsolescence.... namely the built-in battery that at some point will hold less and less of a charge for a period of time until they die.
                  CompUSA is selling kits to replace the battery. That's one of the things that are attracting me to the iPod - it's so popular that there is 3rd party for things that Apple missed.

As for your Palm IIIC, do a Google on "Palm IIIc battery".

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Sadly built in batteries seem to be the trend of many small music players and PDA like devices. Why can't these firms make these devices user accessible so that when the battery dies we can go to the store and buy new batteries? You can do this for digital cameras, many cell phones and other types of electronic devices. Why not iPods?

Are the batteries for non-iPod music devices built in or removeable?

One of the things I love about my iRiver is that it takes a single AAA battery. Sure, you have to keep buying batteries, but you can get AAA anywhere. What a drag it would be if I went on vacation and left my charger at home -- but wait, I can just stop at the gas station and pick up a pack of AAAs and I'm good to go.

Now if only the dumb thing were compatible with my mac
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

We have Creative Zens in this house. My daughter has the older 30gb Creative Zen jukebox and I've got a newer Vision M plus. Love them both and had no problems with either. I think what put me off the ipod originally was the thought of being unable just to buy a new battery when needed and fit it myself. My daughters jukebox required a new battery after 2 years so I ordered one online, it arrived and was fitted as easily as any standard mobile phone type battery.

I'm as certain as I can be that an ipod doesn't do any more in terms of functionality than the Creative does, plus I can use any old headphones/buds with a standard audio jack so I'm very pleased with what I chose.

Regards, Smudge
                      You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post
                        I'm as certain as I can be that an ipod doesn't do any more in terms of functionality than the Creative does, plus I can use any old headphones/buds with a standard audio jack so I'm very pleased with what I chose.

Regards, Smudge

Wait wait, don't tell me you can only use iPod headphones? Awww, I -hate- earbuds! I was just going to use my own headphones.. and here I was just getting ready do go to the store to pick up my new iPod and now I'm reconsidering..
                        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

That is incorrect.

You may use any headphones with a 1/8" mini stereo jack. The stock iPod earbuds are uncomfortable, but OK in a pinch.

I used Koss PortaPro Jr. headphones with my iPods for years, but recently got a pair of Bose Tri-Port OE headphones. Big money, but very comfortable, fabulous sound.

The iPhone has a custom headphone jack that requires a newly-minted adapter to accommodate standard 1/8" stereo jack headphones. But regular iPods will take standard mini stereo headphone jacks.
                          Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

My apologies, I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that the audio fitting on an ipod was different to the regular audio jack on pretty much everything else. Still wouldn't swap my creative for an ipod tho
                            You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

The passionate admonitions launched from all camps are almost as exciting to watch as the Fourth of July fireworks from Cyn's balcony. I commend you all.

Let me clarify that I "don't care much" for iTunes/iPod as a personal preference. It's certainly not a blanket statement on the overall quality of the aforementioned products. And it's certainly not a mark of any fears or aversions I have (my greatest fear is food from Taco Bell).

I'll even go so far as to say that iTunes/iPod/ (and possibly iPhone) boast the smoothest integration between devices and slickest user interfaces in the industry. However, that's not what I need. What I need is a phone that can: 1. Play these audio formats: MP3, AAC, MKA, WMA, WAV, OGG, Speex, WAVPACK, FLAC, AMR, ADPCM, ALaw, MuLaw and MIDI, 2. Play these video formats: H.264, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2 (ASP), DivX, XviD, WMV+ & MJPEG, 3. View PDF files and view/edit XML files, 4. Wirelessly integrate with my work & personal Outlook clients, 5. Include built-in GPS for geocaching and 6. Support HSDPA for future wireless broadband-speed browsing and tethering.

So for my needs, TCPMP and a PPC phone work just fine, thank you.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Not to resurrect any vitriol, but I came across this today:

Floola 1.3 is a cross-platform iPod manager that can be run directly from an iPod and requires no installation. In addition to copying songs and playlists to and from an iPod, it offers support for podcasts and videos, album art, lyrics, searches for duplicates, export of file lists to HTML, notes management, Growl support, and other features. Latest changes include improved podcast support, faster artwork rebuilds, and iTunes 7.3 compatibility. Floola is free (donations welcome) for Mac OS X 10.2 and up (Universal Binary), Linux, and Windows.

http://www.floola.com/

I think someone mentioned it before in this thread, but this gives you a little more info. Hey, it's free! I like free!

(By the way, I wasn't meaning to troll anybody in this thread. I was just trying to be funny in my posts. Guess it didn't come across that way. Sorry.)
                                Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Working...
                                X