Untold Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Untold Stories

Someone on this thread asked how you put a thread on "ignore" here.

I don't get it, why can't you just ignore it?
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Trying not to click the link

Karen — because this thread is like a really bad car wreck on the H-1 freeway. You don’t want to look, but the temptation to slow down for a quick rubberneck check is just too great for many Hawai‘i motorists.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Trying not to click the link

Just a note of caution. Libelous statements and allegations are not encouraged here. These type of post(s) will be deleted and the thread may be locked. In the past when threads like this started and got out of hand, the board operator and moderators have gotten legal threats from the parties mentioned. We don't want this to happen.

If what you are going to post goes beyond "fair comment" please refrain. Mahalo.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          Someone on this thread asked how you put a thread on "ignore" here.

I don't get it, why can't you just ignore it?
          this thread was started two months ago. My reasons for asking to ignore it is because I don't always recall thread titles. The situation mentioned early on is personal to me and I didn't/don't need to endure the speculation, although I understand and respect the public's right to speculate.

Back in June, I could recall this thread's title and refrain from clicking on it. Not remembering, I did today, and wish I hadn't. Does that make sense?

pax

Comment

Good thing there's nothing scribed in this thread with malice or reckless disregard for the truth.

But on to a kinder, gentler subject ...
            I was wondering the other day why acting Surgeon General Kenneth Moritsugu hasn't been profiled in either of the dailies. You'd think the Hawaii-born UH grad would merit at least a Saturday piece. He stepped into the fold over a year ago and visited Hawaii at least once since then in an official capacity. At least the S-B finally mentioned his Hawaii connection in this editorial last month.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

So many stories to investigate, so little interest.

I find it interesting how a city employee could get away with registering vehicles for people and pocketing the money, and yet, no one was able to detect it for years and years.

What kind of accounting, checks and balances do we have in the city?

Why was no one able to catch this until now?

It seems the city is so flushed with cash, from all our hard earned taxes, something like this easily goes unnoticed.

Another story I'd like to see:

The alleged Kauai serial killer. Years ago women were being murdered and the killer found some of his victims, at least one of them, sleeping on a beach..

The heat was put on this guy by KPD and the killings stopped.

But every so often, I read about another woman found murdered on Kauai.

One of the most recent victims if I recall right, was also found dead on a beach.

Same modus operandi? Same victimology? I wish we could get more on this from the news.

another story I'd like to see:

The lack of any long term plan or vision for development on Oahu.

Do you see all the monstrous buildings popping up all over the place, esp. in Honolulu?

Massive self-storage buildings, and that monstrosity on Kapiolani, the new Inspiration Furniture bldg.

Slowly or rather quickly our view of the ocean and the skyline is vanishing.

What about that massive Neiman Marcus bldg on Kapiolani too?

There seems to be no long term plan on building growth.

Sure there are height limits on buildings in certain areas...but how often are those WAIVED? by the powers that be?

I'd like to see a story on that too, and how often that height limit is waived.

And why.

If anyone wants to know what I'm talking about, go to the neighbor islands and see how much more beautiful it is w/o all those gargantuan, titanic buildings sprouting up like flowers everywhere.

Comment

Pumpkinboy, you are too kind. Those structures sprout up like WEEDS, not FLOWERS!

It does seem that the "waivers" and "variances" have become the "rule."

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                  The lack of any long term plan or vision for development on Oahu.
                  We have one. It's called "show me the money".

Just keep in mind, if you don't go "up" you go "out". And if you don't grow, then prices will climb that much faster as supply becomes stagnet and demand just keeps going.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                    Pumpkinboy, you are too kind. Those structures sprout up like WEEDS, not FLOWERS!

It does seem that the "waivers" and "variances" have become the "rule."
                    lol I was gonna say weeds but thought it was too mean

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      We have one. It's called "show me the money".

Just keep in mind, if you don't go "up" you go "out". And if you don't grow, then prices will climb that much faster as supply becomes stagnet and demand just keeps going.
                      Interesting point.

It would be nice if there was just some sort of plan.

Look at the Advertiser printing press bldg...that thing is enormous sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of nowhere.

They were very smart though, they thought of it first AND they got that cherished height limit WAIVED.

Comment

I'm not knocking the Advertiser mind you, they were very smart and forward thinking in what they did, either buying that land outright when it has almost no development so it probably was quite affordable...or locking in a low lease rate for many yrs.

And they got a huge bldg built where there are no homes, thus no neighbors to complain or "raise the roof" so to speak.

Comment

Re: Superferry

I'd like a writer to ask John Garibaldi exactly how his HSF vehicle inspectors will exclude any varroa mite-stricken honeybees from gaining passage aboard his boats. According to this article in last Monday's Advertiser:
                          During regular operations, the 350-foot Alakai will only be able to accommodate a maximum of 866 passengers and 282 subcompact cars.
                          Although Superferry officials have said in the past that they have "detailed programs" to address the myriad environmental impact concerns of opponents, they have yet to provide full disclosure. We are left to rely on community viewpoint letters like this to get an idea of vehicle inspection logistics. In fact, this section of HSF's own website would seem to give the old wink and nod to businesses looking to float their commerical vehicles interisland:
                          The convenience is exceptional. Drivers simply pull up to the Hawaii Superferry vehicle check-in station, hand the attendant all required documents, and drive on the ferry.
                          I would then like to see Glenn Hong, president & CEO of Young Brothers, and the corresponding company officers from Matson and Horizon Lines asked the same question. And then it might be nice to ask our Department of Agriculture chairperson her opinion on their responses, especially in light of her, IMO, flaccid varroa mite plan (draft).
                          Don't get me wrong. I've been looking forward to an interisland ferry for decades. I'm not saying HSF has to pull an EIS out of their a**. I would just like to see certain people in powerful positions give unvarnished answers to a few simple questions. And that's mostly because I think a threat which could decimate the entire state's agricultural industry should be given more consideration.
                          Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; August 27, 2007, 08:49 PM. Reason: Loco Moco
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I'd like to see a story on the incompetence or inability of the Agriculture inspection officials to keep out invasive species from coming to Oahu and the other islands.

First, the coqui frogs coming in plants to various islands

Then, the stinging caterpillars coming AGAIN via plants to various islands

What the heck is going on here?

Why not stop the species from coming in...isn't that the inspectors' job?

How many inspectors are there? How many plants come in each day or each month or year?

How many of those plants are actually inspected?

They caught some wasps or hornets hiding in Christmas trees this year, bravo!

Now do the other plants just as well too.

Or get some more inspectors.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                              I'd like to see a story on the incompetence or inability of the Agriculture inspection officials to keep out invasive species from coming to Oahu and the other islands.
                              First, the coqui frogs coming in plants to various islands
                              Then, the stinging caterpillars coming AGAIN via plants to various islands
                              What the heck is going on here?
                              Well, it sure as hell isn't the SuperFerry's fault!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Well, it sure as hell isn't the SuperFerry's fault!!!

I didn't see that one coming --- lol!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X