Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Biggest Fears?

Default What Are Your Biggest Fears?

We all have 'em...fears! I was thinking about this today, and how to conquer them. What are your biggest fears? How did you overcome them?

Okay, here are my embarassing fears:
    Big Dogs! I was attacked by a very large dog as a child, got bitten. Ever since then, I just FREEZE up when I'm approached by one!

The Dentist! I mean, not just regular "cowardice", but a downright PHOBIA! When I walk into the office...I break out in a terrible cold sweat...I am terrified! (you can only imagine how much toothpaste n' dental floss I go through, to avoid this pertifying ordeal!)

Okay, those are two of mine
    What are you afraid of??

Default Re: What Are Your Biggest Fears?

Centipedes. Which does not bode well with my plan to move to Hawaii. But I'm getting better about it..

Snow. Hate the stuff. Cold. Hands hurt. Shovel the car. Clear the walkway. Buy lots of expensive clothes. Takes 30 minutes to get dressed to go anywhere. Dressing the kids is a hassle.

Trapped in the desert, you got about 2-3 days to figure out your issues.

In a blizzard, less than 2 hours till death.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

That poor Paris will have to go back to jail...
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Health-wise, getting afflicted with Alzheimer's and thereby becoming a burden to others. It's also the loss of identity.

Any of my children (well, any loved one) dying traumatically. I have no fear that comes close to that one. At this point in my life I am pretty much leather and think I could take anything on my plate. I was a victim of crime 20+ years ago and today, if I had to endure something similar, I would (((get over it))) much quicker. I've made peace, and made friends with my own mind. That gets me past a lot of fears.

Now if I had to answer, would I rather die by lava, tsunami, tornado or falling from an airplane, we might have fun talking about that...

pax

Being crushed by them SUVs and huge trucks on the roads. My solution? use my size to my advantage and outrun them (legally of course)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

My biggest fear is to be in an accident or have some kind of illness where I would have to depend on someone. I love my independence and privacy, and I also would not want to be a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    Big Dogs! I was attacked by a very large dog as a child, got bitten. Ever since then, I just FREEZE up when I'm approached by one!
    While not necessarily fear - more distrust - are my feelings toward Chihuahuas, for similar reason.

When I was about 10, my friend's new juvenile-age Chihuahua ran up from behind when I wasn't looking and bit me square on my butt cheek, almost hard enough to draw blood. It really hurt. If he didn't pick that dog up and take it outside, I wouldv'e punted it for a field goal. Little twerp. Ever since then I have a stereotyped distrust towards that breed.

I'm also a major "panty" when it comes huge, flying "747" cockaroaches. Want to see a grown man cower, scream and run like a little girl? Unleash one of those bad boys where I'm standing and you'll see it. On the other hand, chameleons and geckos don't phase me one bit.

I kinda' fear running into an ex-girlfriend I had long ago. I'm not sure if she's gonna give me a hug and happily ask how I'm doing, be evasive, or straight up tell me off. Long story. If we ever do run into each other, hopefully it'll be the first choice. Gosh, I hope she (or someone she knows) doesn't read this board, a collateral fear to this.

Those are a few personal fears. Of course I share most of the common human fears like getting injured or dying in a horrific accident, terrorism, natural disasters, etc..
    Last edited by Pomai; June 29th, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

Helium-filled latex balloons. I dread walking by a bouquet of'em at parties. I've got a phobia of those things going off by my ears and causing instant deafness.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    [...]The Dentist! I mean, not just regular "cowardice", but a downright PHOBIA! When I walk into the office...I break out in a terrible cold sweat...I am terrified! (you can only imagine how much toothpaste n' dental floss I go through, to avoid this pertifying ordeal!)[...]
    If you move to Oahu the man to see is Dr. Steve Wilhite. Really! It's because of him that I can honestly say I'd rather have a root canal than go shopping!

My fear is outliving my income. With prudence, that shouldn't happen. However, there are never any guarantees.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Going Broke

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Going Broke
    With the vast amount of knowledge and work experience you have, that should be the farthest from your mind.

Pua'i, I'd rather die by lava. At least at the end of it all you're covered in your grave.

My biggest fear is losing my twin.

My biggest fear is dying before my kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    Any of my children (well, any loved one) dying traumatically. I have no fear that comes close to that one. At this point in my life I am pretty much leather and think I could take anything on my plate.
    Mine run along those lines, or having my children abused and not knowing or realizing it.

But I have had alot of fears that I have faced a conquered as well.
    I was extremely shy and deathly afraid when I was young, if anyone even spoke to me I would break down crying. Terrified me, I had nightmares all the time. As irrational as it was, it was a real fear. Took me 4 years to work through that to even speak to people. I am sure every single person here has has fears they have worked through, and conquered. That's just part of life.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Oh, swimming in the ocean...and let's not forget sharks. Of course I would end up moving to an island
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Folks who just stood in line all day yesterday to buy their all-new $499-$599 iPhone should be adding this to this thread...

"Having my new iPhone get lost, stolen or dropped and broken"

Thanks for the tip on the dentist, tutusue, I think I'll look him up when I get there!

As for the Chihuahua, I can understand that one! They really freak me out, too! They're always shaking, and have eyes that look...well..stoned all the time! They just seem so unpredictable! lol!

Hmm...outliving my income...now that's a very real fear! Time to scope out some more investments/savings plans!

I dunno' about 2-3 days in da desert, Tim...it's going up to 112 degrees here this week! *gasp!*

PARTIAL SOLUTIONS:

Dying too soon - LIFE INSURANCE (don't worry what type, think about the amount of coverage);

Living too long - ANNUITY (you trade a lump sum for a lifetime income stream).

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    My fear is outliving my income.
    Yeah, that's a pretty big one. There's so much variability as to how long one can live. Plus, we only know how long people live when the oldest age group dies. We don't know how long our own age group will live.

Drowning would be another one of mine.

Edit: MOKES. I look and sound like a FOB haole (Haole, yes; FOB, no) - and I went to public school. 'Nuf said.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; June 30th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    With the vast amount of knowledge and work experience you have, that should be the farthest from your mind.
    Why do you think I acquired that "vast amount of knowledge and work experience". When something so dear as losing it is as much of a concern to you, you try your hardest to keep it.

With that said I take it back...my greatest fear is to lose my wife. Money means absolutely nothing to me if I ever lost her.

With that said I take it back...my greatest fear is to lose my wife. Money means absolutely nothing to me if I ever lost her.
    Yeah...I understand, CW.

Because the AF reads these posts over my shoulder sometimes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Yeah...I understand, CW.

Because the AF reads these posts over my shoulder sometimes, too.
    Wow as I'm writing this my wife calls me. She's on Oahu with my 3-year old while I'm back here in Keaau taking care of the house and the rest of the kids.

Wow as I'm writing this my wife calls me. She's on Oahu with my 3-year old while I'm back here in Keaau taking care of the house and the rest of the kids.
    See? They know. I don't know how they do it - but they just know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast