Who bought an iPhone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who bought an iPhone?

Pzarquon basically summed up why I'd even consider getting an iPhone -- it's a working tool that wraps several needed tools into one sleek and highly usable case.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is plug in a full-sized portable keyboard, like one of those rubber roll-up jobs, either through Bluetooth or USB, when you need to do any serious typing.

Pzar, have you tried updating your blog from the iPhone?
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Whoah brah, no get mad! Nah, I jus' jealous you get one and I no moah one. Gunfunnit.
      i'm not mad just was curious.

i know it's hard to tell emotion in a post
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
        I can't see myself (or other phone geeks) getting the iPhone - primarily we know that there's a few phones that are better than the iPhone.

Hopefully I can bring myself to an ATT and/or Apple store w/out arguing with another salesperson about phones long enough to see the iPhone.
        what do you mean by better?

just cause a device has more features doesn't make it better. i'm not saying the iphone is the greatest, but i've used the Treo 650 and Nokia E61 and i prefer the iphone.

The user interface is really the big selling point, you just have to try it out. and also there are not TONS of settings to get lost in. it's setup very well.

Like other apple products the iPhone puts smartphones in the hands of people who would ordinarily be afraid to use one...

Comment

Interesting list of possible iPhone competitors. #9 cracks me up because it's a knockoff of the iPhone. However, #2 is supposedly what the iPhone is based on so I guess one can't laugh at #9 too much.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/top-ten-l...e-competitors/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Typical. Frankly, I'm hearing more about the iPhone from people who probably won't ever get one from those who are genuinely interested. A couple of weeks ago, a former coworker of mine crossed the street downtown to talk to me about it... but all he really wanted to say was he thought it was stupid. Heh.

MonkeyMan asked for impressions and reviews. He got 20 posts of people explaining why they're uninterested or why the iPhone is too flawed to consider. Two of us who did get one actually had some experiences to share, however. But we're just amusingly "justifying" ourselves.

LocalMotion and I have both explicitly acknowledged the ways in which the iPhone won't work for many people. There are lots of phones that do a lot more than the iPhone, just like there are lots of digital audio players that do more than the iPod. But what Apple does, it does well -- it does what it needs to do, but keeps it simple and sexy. I just thought I'd answer MonkeyMan's original question, since I actually had some thoughts to share.

I knew I should've saved my energy for my blog. Real geeks read that!
            hey hey hey now...leave room for those of us who are likely to cross that iDivide at some point o ranuther, ok? My own journey with the treo started waaay back in those Handspring Visor dayz and entirely due to their compatibility with macs. But I need a keyboard and Office compatibility first, especially as I frequently type in 'O.H. and don't want that to be autocorrected.

Some of us have open-minds about it and want it to succeed. Performas, iMacs, Powerbooks, MacBooks, iPods and Airports--I don't think I've met an apple product that I didn't buy.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
              as for shortcomings.. do you have examples?
              Link

Something else I wonder about: All of the fancy phones I've seen so far have been to support businesses. They may be toys in the hands of executives, but it's the company that pays for them. And that's because it can integrate with the business.

Apple historically has done poorly in the enterprise market. It's strong point has been with home/individuals. Given the high cost, if it doesn't get integrated with the enterprise, I'll have to wonder how many they'll end up selling.

For now, I'll let someone else bleed. At the moment it's too much money for my taste.

Question: How much does the service cost? That's what's kept me away for the high-end phones. I can deal with the handset price, it's the monthly service cost that I can't justify for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

Question: How much does the service cost? That's what's kept me away for the high-end phones. I can deal with the handset price, it's the monthly service cost that I can't justify for personal use.
                the "iPhone" plans start at $59 for 450 anytime min, unlimited M2M, 5000 N&W, unlimited data, internet, email, 200 text messages.

then it goes to $79 for 900 anytime minutes, and up from there.

you basically take any current cingular plan and add $20 for the unlimited data and text messaging

PC Mag: iPhone plans actually pretty good...

Comment

Ryan argued wonderfully the reason one stands in line for events like this. If I'd had six hundred dollars, I'd have been there, too. I was there on opening night for all of the recent Star Wars prequels; I'll be in line in July for the final Harry Potter novel, even though I won't actually have time to read the book until after I graduate, sometime in August. It's an event. No, I don't NEED to be there, but if I have to explain it, you probably don't really want to hear it anyway.

I've only ever had AT&T/Cingular/AT&T service and therefore have nothing to compare it to, but I've never had a single complaint with coverage, price, or service.

I spent two hundred bucks on a smartphone last November, and it has slowly become a major part of my life. The iPhone, if it works as smoothly with a Macintosh as other Apple things do, would do all that and better (don't get me started on Windows Mobile).

Technology changes things. Of course it's kinda dumb, when you think about it, to think about song capacity on a telephone, and why in the world did we ever think a CAMERA was the perfect function for a telephone? None of it makes sense, except that it does. I've put complicated assignments, complete with drawings, on my classroom whiteboard and seen ten students whip out their phones or digicams in order to get a photo. Like a LOT of technology, cellular phones today are coming up with function before we've figured out what the heck the function can be best used for. But put that function in the hands of people who are creative and thoughtful (or under the age of seventeen), and you'll SEE what the heck you need a camera on your telephone for. This in turn shapes what the next generation of technology might look like.

It's nearly killing me that in this case, I am the target market for the iPhone in all ways but one: I just can't afford that kind of money for a phone, especially so soon after I just got a phone.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go play with my one-year-old Gamecube.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    Good catch...but of course!!!

You da man(Ryan)...Web masta!!!

So how is it? Or should I say, wat were you thinking at dat moment.

Auntie Lynn
                    I would vote for Ryan as the "Official Uber-Geek" of Honolulu, in a heartbeat!

Yep, Ryan, U Da Man!
                    Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Yathink I should start anodda thread titled, "OK, who DIDN'T buy an iPhone?"

Dare me, I dare ya!

(Oh, Mahalo Ryan and LocalMo, for your info! I may actually do it, today! Just checked availability and both Ala Mo and Kahala have stock. And I'm in Kahala this afternoon, perchance!)
                      Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
                        Yathink I should start anodda thread titled, "OK, who DIDN'T buy an iPhone
                        I didn't buy one

But I did pass a long line for iPhones that wrapped around a big city block.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

This kid lucked out

Comment

Scrivener, I'd buy you an iPhone if I could. Anyone who's using a Blackjack deserves relief! And really, I do agree that I think this thing is aimed square at someone like you.

Because these things are not as hard to get as a Wii, I'd strongly suggest everyone short of Apple haters go down to an Apple Store to play with one. Even if you never, ever get one, I honestly think that just swooping around the interface will make you realize what the iPhone means for everyone. It may not be the perfect device, but the UI -- like the UI on Apple computers and on the iPod -- stands to reconfigure a whole lot more than phones.

But, specifically for the skeptics and those on the fence, here is my list of iPhone annoyances as of Day 2. Just so you know I can be objective:
                          • No copy and paste. Browsing the web is a joy. E-mail is sweet. SMS is slick and iChat like. But one of the tradeoffs of the dead simple navigation and text entry setup is that I can't "select" anything. I can't copy a phone number and paste it into the phone (though switching back and forth is quick enough). My Treo, by comparison, was a copy-paste machine... I did it all the time. And the Treo could "recognize" a phone number in any application and make it a "link" to dial immediately. I don't know how copy and paste would be added, but I'm hoping the phone number link thing is added in a future release.
                          • No audio through the iPod dock connector? The iPhone uses the same doc connector as 5G iPods, so it charges and connects with the cable I already had wound around my desk. Charges in the car, too. But! I use a Monster iCarPlay FM adapter on the road, and yesterday I discovered (I think) that audio only comes out either the speakers or the 1/8" headphone jack. Maybe there's an iPhone-specific accessory coming? Otherwise, I'll have to get an FM transmitter that uses the headphone jack. The upside of the iPhone's setup is... hey, built-in speakers for your iPod. I never thought I'd see the day.
                          • Limited BlueTooth. As far as I can tell, this thing pairs with headsets, and that's it. And not even stereo headsets. Where's the BT file transfer? Or, as Buzz asks, the BT keyboard link (my keyboard and mouse at home are wireless)? Hopefully, again, functionality will be added later based on demand. One thing about a phone that runs what's basically a computer OS? That syncs with machines with ease? It'd be easy for Apple to update everyone's iPhone. I even bet we'll see iPhone 1.1 within a week.
                          • No audio or video recording. The audio I'm fine with, because there are services like Jott to record audio notes and if I was collecting stuff to broadcast/publish later, I'd just use my Edirol. As for video? This is kind of a head smacker, since I'd wager most folks don't do video with their current phones. And the quality I got off my Treo 700p was so bad, I might as well not have recorded it at all. But for all the elegance that went into designing this thing, especially since it's otherwise a fantastic multimedia platform... it seems an odd ommision. Not sure if this could be done as a software update, either.
                          There are other things I see gripes about. A long wait for activation by AT&T (I only got the ability to receive calls at my existing number this morning)? Well, I expected a bottleneck with 300,000 of these things showing up on various systems in one weekend. Slow EDGE? Like I said, compared to the data plan on my Treo, it's fine. And since it runs on WiFi? Frankly, it's zippy most of the time... since at home and at work I'm bathed in WiFi signals! Ringtones? I've never been much of a ringtone guy, going silent 90 percent of the time anyway. And besides, just like the distinctive "Treo ring," I expect I'll use the default "Marimba" (which Steve Jobs used in his demos) so, you know, people know it's an iPhone.

Any one of these things may be deal breakers for you. They might have been for me if I knew about them before I bought one. But I say again, just try one. You'll be surprised at how smart Apple was at "trade offs" to make for an overall fantastic user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            Some of us have open-minds about it and want it to succeed. Performas, iMacs, Powerbooks, MacBooks, iPods and Airports--I don't think I've met an apple product that I didn't buy.
                            Join the club. However, I passed on the Newton, the Performa-based MacTV, the Power Mac G4 Cube, the first two generations of iPods, the first two generations of iBooks and several other Apple products. In addition, I've yet to purchase an AppleTV or the latest AirPort Extreme.

I'm currently "on the fence" when it comes to the current iPhone. Although I've downloaded and perused the iPhone User's Manual and played with a couple of iPhones for an hour at an AT&T store, I'm not impressed enough to purchase one right now, since my iTunes-compatible Motorola RAZR v3i has served me well for the past year. While the Motorola interface is a little clunky, I'd miss the couple of dozen or so Java-based games that I have stored on it, the voice recognition dialing, the removable battery, the removable memory, and the ability to transfer files using Bluetooth.

However, if Apple comes out with a 12" MacBook Pro or a "touchscreen" iPod, I'll probably buy it on the first day that it's available.
                            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Ah, what about a USB connected keyboard?

As for Bluetooth, perhaps downloaded patches to "recognize" various keyboards, etc, would do it.

I'd wager we'll see a wide variety of peripheral devices geared toward this device popping up.

When online, can one "download" files such as PDFs? Can one send email with attachments?
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm one of the few that will not buy a cell phone of any type. I don't like being bothered or the additional cost associated with monthly bills. That said, I am happy for Ryan and all others who braved the first day lines and bought the iPhone. One thing I am looking forward to is Apple migrating some of the cool iPhone features into the next generation of iPod players. Widescreen iPods anyone?
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X