Who bought an iPhone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who bought an iPhone?

i read some really good info on updates that are coming soon to iPhone from a guy with very credible sources. here's his post and there is also a word of MS Exchange with full ActiveSync compatibility...

I met with my buddy from Apple for Coffee today, I told him I loved the interface, and all the great subtle little features it has that makes it so easy to use. I then told him I really, wanted a File System Access so I could store files, download images from the web, and generally carry around data, not just load it up from iTunes..

He said Apple IS absolutely BUILDING this, and it will come in a software update no later than when Leopard ships in two months (there will be updates before this)

Here is what he said:
    There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files
    There will be a disk mode
    The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.
    There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations
    So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is
    Full spotlight like search is coming too
    Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari
    Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)
    Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.
    Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.
    When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.
    Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.
    Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.
    These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.
    Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.
    He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.
    Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.
    Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.
    The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)
    Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.
    Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!
    Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.
    Last edited by LocalMotion; July 1, 2007, 09:34 PM.
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      What would I do with an extra $600? Smart people make their money work for them by investing it. Throw it in your investment portfolio and buy shares of Apple instead of an Apple product. Make yourself rich not Apple.
      Smart folks will probably short Apple stock for a few days and purchase stock in AT&T.
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

This morning on the radio they were mentioning a story about some older guy who cut in line straight to the front door at the Ala Moana store and got his phone, pissing off a bunch of people. Any confirmation on that?

Apparently quite a few folks took maximum advantage of the long wait in line and bought TWO phones that day, the per-person purchase limit set nationwide by Apple.

That super-sized iPhone countdown prop they have displayed at the storefront is pretty cool. It'd be neat to connect/modify the LCD display with a TV tuner and mount it landscape orientation on the wall as one VERY cool iPhone-looking flat screen TV.

PZ, those photos are pretty darned good for a camera phone. Sharp and detailed with bright vivid colors. Makes ithe iPhone the perfect "Swiss Army Knife" for bloggers.

I knew as an initial "1st gen' skeptic", I'd be eating my words.
        Last edited by Pomai; July 2, 2007, 02:23 PM.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I gotta ask. Ryan, are you checking HT with your iPhone?

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My boss 'showed off' the iphone by using its calculator function, and its beautiful!

*must resist using credit card to buy phone and joining the darkside*
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Nope....I'm with cingular/ATT but won't be buying one for a couple of years, or five or six, LOL. I am so stubborn about learning how to use technical things that until I learn how to do everything my Nokia does, ain't spending mroe money and I hear that thing is a lot. Of course there'll be newer versions of it, so let them get any bugs out, and uh.....yeah, I'm making excuses, LOL.....I am pitiful. I've never taken one picture with my current phone, have never sent email, or used the FM radio feature, yada yada.

I can make calls, answer and check voice mail. Heck, I can't even tell ya how to use the thing as an alarm clock, yet.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                That's what I meant. But didn't someone here say the carport couldn't send audio out?
                As usual, I may have misunderstood. I've gotten sound to come out of the iPhone dock connector with the newest Griffin iTrip, but not with my older Monster iCarPlay. So, you're going to want to pay attention to reports as to whether an accessory is iPhone compatible or not (new accessories coming out will have a special logo on the box).

An interesting twist, though? The iPhone is an iPod and a cell phone. Ever put your cell phone next to an FM device? Yep. Noise city. What's cool is, the iPhone knew that I plugged in a non-iPhone accessory (the iTrip), and offered to switch the phone off (Airplane Mode) for the duration of FM-based rocking.

I'm thinking, though, I'm eventually going to have to just bite the bullet and go line-in with my car stereo.
                Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                Any confirmation on that?
                I wouldn't doubt it. But for the most part, Apple lines are full of fantastic, friendly people. Apple came by to give out water several times, and a cart full of Starbucks iced tea as well. William Sonoma passed out brownie samples. People traded PSP games and iPod ear buds and stories. And, Ala Moana security and management was on the ball for the most part. Someone tried to jump in the line where there was a gap crossing the mall walk path a few people ahead of me, and they were quickly bounced out.
                Apparently quite a few folks took maximum advantage of the long wait in line and bought TWO phones that day, the per-person purchase limit set nationwide by Apple.
                I almost did, figuring I could probably find an interested buyer eventually... even for the list price, I could do a favor for a friend. Several of us were tracking iPhone launches on the East Coast and then West Coast to see what the demand was like. Turned out most stores had excess inventory after the lines dissipated, and I decided I didn't need the airline miles that much.
                That super-sized iPhone countdown prop they have displayed at the storefront is pretty cool.
                Indeed. I liked all the iPhone goodies. I asked about the "June 29" staff shirts and the posters inside, but the Apple employees were very clear how carefully Apple protects that stuff.
                PZ, those photos are pretty darned good for a camera phone. Sharp and detailed with bright vivid colors. Makes ithe iPhone the perfect "Swiss Army Knife" for bloggers.
                My thoughts exactly... save for the lack of audio and video recording. I like the camera a lot. Especially since the iPhone can tell if I was taking a portrait or landscape shot. Oh, I mentioned that already. Still, that rocks.
                I knew as an initial "1st gen' skeptic", I'd be eating my words.
                I'm an Apple fanboy, but I gotta say, this thing feels pretty refined for v1.0. I mean, especially the phone features and interface. It's the first phone Apple has taken a crack at, and it has features and thoughtful touches that feel like they've been in the biz for years.
                Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                I gotta ask. Ryan, are you checking HT with your iPhone?
                Of course! Even though the iPhone supports the "real" internet, though, I find I gravitate toward mobile-optimized sites whenever I can anyway. It's just more efficient that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                  [...]I can make calls, answer and check voice mail.
                  That's all I need in a cell phone! I've never sent a text message and my phone doesn't have a camera!
                  Heck, I can't even tell ya how to use the thing as an alarm clock, yet.
                  I'm one up on ya there. I learned that feature a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

I'm thinking, though, I'm eventually going to have to just bite the bullet and go line-in with my car stereo.
                    pz,

I recently bought this for my car, and it's AWESOME for the ipod, honestly I haven't tried to connect my phone to it cause i would need to talk on it, but i have a dedicated 30gb iPod i use for my car.

i hope you don't get mad at me for showing you this

Comment

Very nice. Of course, if I got that, my car's audio deck would be worth more than the entire vehicle! I'm pretty sure my current deck, which already plays MP3 CDs (the reason I bought it), has a line-in somewhere. I just have to figure out how to use it.

Looks like the iPhone, in the short term, has been good news for Apple, financially. At least one analyst estimates that half a million of 'em have sold so far.

If you want a very thorough review of the iPhone, pluses and minuses, check out this write-up at AppleInsider.

Comment

Sue, yeah, I only need it for talking, too. I bought a good one cuz I wanted good reception, etc.

From my vantage point, you're rocking...woo hoo you can use the alarm. I actually may find it handy sometime. Where is that darn little booklet?
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                          [...]woo hoo you can use the alarm. I actually may find it handy sometime. Where is that darn little booklet?
                          Assuming some features are similar on the various cell phones...go to Menu>Tools. See if it's there then just play with it. It's pretty simple!

Comment

John McClane's "sidekick" in the new Die Hard movie is the kid from the Apple commercials — Tim Olyphant? — and it would have been amusing if he had whipped out an iPhone during the movie. But no, it's Nokia all the way in the movie.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I just finished playing with one and recorded pictures and video of it with my camera. As soon as I find a computer with an SD card, I'll post it up.

The iPhone itself is fun and gets some getting used to for a gadget freak like me because of the lack of a keypad. One flaw I see, is that when I rotate the phone while viewing a website, it won't rotate it no matter how much shaking I do.

Although I think I'm keen on getting he Canon SD750 camera that is next to me rather than the iPhone.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

that's funny my iphone rotates webpages in safari.

But you have to have the iPhone tilted and not flat. Basically like your holding it in your hands at a 45 degree angle

I typing this from my iphone in landscape mode right now

Comment

Working...
                                X