Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who bought an iPhone?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Default Re: Who bought an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Anyway. For those genuinely curious about the iPhone, I thought you might be interested in the image quality of the 2 megapixel camera built into it.

As you know, I love to post photos from my phone, which was previously a Treo 700p. It had a common, and unimpressive, VGA sensor. While the iPhone will similarly not make you the next Ansel Adams, I have to admit, so far I'm impressed.

As you can imagine, the shutter is slow and low light means plenty of noise. But compared to my Treo, it's like night and day. (Just go back a bit in my Flickr archives for comparisons.) The iPhone doesn't try to do too much, but for what Apple chose for it to do, it seems to do each task well. A really nice touch? The iPhone can tell if I'm holding it in portrait or landscape mode, and saves/uploads accordingly. In a way, it almost doubles the possibilities I had with mobile photo taking. I'm happy.

That's pretty good resolution for 2-Megapixels. And so is the cropping.

I have a feeling I too will own an iPhone one day but for now I'm still getting used to my Treo and it's confusing interfaces. Treo's are definately not user freindly, at least the 700WX that is.

• No copy and paste. Browsing the web is a joy. E-mail is sweet. SMS is slick and iChat like. But one of the tradeoffs of the dead simple navigation and text entry setup is that I can't "select" anything. I can't copy a phone number and paste it into the phone (though switching back and forth is quick enough). My Treo, by comparison, was a copy-paste machine... I did it all the time. And the Treo could "recognize" a phone number in any application and make it a "link" to dial immediately. I don't know how copy and paste would be added, but I'm hoping the phone number link thing is added in a future release.
    This actually surprises me Pz. I saw the demo where the Jobs-clone (Mr. iPhone?), demo'd being able to click (err.. touch) on a phone number in an email and it would dial automatically. The iPhone doesn't recognize telephone numbers (and email addresses?) in webpages? I know the google maps demo also showed the phone number listings in the results were clickable (err... touchable?) and dialed automatically.

I was a fool to wait at an AT&T store. I waited at the Waipahu one where there were about 40ish people in line. Ran out at around 30 or so. Then I compounded my mistake and ordered from them so I've got around 5 more days to get my iPhone.

But that's a good thing. I wanted to have the box and check out reviews and such for a few days before deciding if I wanted to go through the activation. If I got my grubby paws on it on Friday, I don't think I'd have the willpower to keep it boxed.
    Last edited by DaFerret; July 1st, 2007 at 01:39 PM.

Anyway. For those genuinely curious about the iPhone, I thought you might be interested in the image quality of the 2 megapixel camera built into it.

As you know, I love to post photos from my phone, which was previously a Treo 700p.
    This is one are where all of us who follow your photos at Flickr and other sites will benefit. Those pictures look just as good as the ones I post from my 2 megapixel Sony cameras. So YOU having an iPhone is a definite plus for us in the picture viewing universe.
    I'm still here. Are you?

I just got back from the Ala Moana Apple Store, and they are completely sold out of iPhones. Last night when I went there at around 7PM, they only had 8 4GB models in stock. Yet Apple's online "iPhone availability" checker says that Ala Moana still had em in stock...grrr.

This is both good and bad, because I went there to buy me an 8-gigger, but i really don't need an iPhone (especially since 10 months ago I wasted money on that overrated piece of garbage known as the LG Chocolate phone...and even worse, I still have 11 months left on my Verizon contract)...But I really do "want" one!

I justify buying one of these ridiculous monstrosities because I'm a Macintosh "Power User". Just having the ability to bidirectionally sync my calendars and address book with my Mac is well worth the price of the iPhone, in my opinion. BitPIM is such a pain in the ass, and I'll be glad to never have to use that POS hack ever again.

The thing *is* really slow as far as internet browsing is concerned, though. I'm not sure if the demo units at Ala Moana were connected to the EDGE network or if it was through WiFi, but in any case, the performance was really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by melorama View Post
    I just got back from the Ala Moana Apple Store, and they are completely sold out of iPhones. Last night when I went there at around 7PM, they only had 8 4GB models in stock. Yet Apple's online "iPhone availability" checker says that Ala Moana still had em in stock...grrr.
    One thing I learned during the next generation gaming console rush of last year; those availability thingies are typically only updated once every 24 hours.

I hope you get the iPhone you want soon

Quote Originally Posted by DaFerret View Post
    This actually surprises me Pz.
    Not surprisingly, I misspoke! Phone numbers in e-mail (at least in a Gmail message I just tested) do become hyperlinks that get passed to the phone. I also see phone numbers on web pages become links, and holding down my finger on them pops up a bubble with the number in it, but so far I haven't gotten it to dial. I may have to go way overboard and read the manual...

Still no cut and paste, though, since there's no highlighting or a clipboard for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by melorama
    I just got back from the Ala Moana Apple Store, and they are completely sold out of iPhones.
    Bummer about them being sold out. I guessed that stock would last through the 4th. Yes, the availability indicator is only updated overnight, and it applies only to Apple Stores. Any reports on Kahala? How about neighborhood AT&T stores? From what I've read, AT&T stores got only small batches -- maybe 20-30 iPhones per store -- so I'm guessing they're sold out too. But I wonder if you could find an out-of-the-way retail outlet that has a handful waiting to be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Okay so no built in audio, no video, limited bluetooth, cannot download iTunees directly, cannot dock and provide audio...and all wondering if there's a third party or software upgrade to allow for it among other wanted features not found in this model.

What would I do with an extra $600? Smart people make their money work for them by investing it. Throw it in your investment portfolio and buy shares of Apple instead of an Apple product. Make yourself rich not Apple.
    what do you mean by no built in audio, no video? any videos you have in iTunes can be put on your iPhone... maybe you meant you can't record audio/video?

The dock that came with the iphone has a line out connector on the back so you can hook up any speakers that have a standard plug. i just tried it right now, it works even without the usb cable connected.

Also as for investment... i own 200 shares of AAPL, and just sold 5 shares days before to buy my iphone, i think of it as a reinvestment

Not surprisingly, I misspoke! Phone numbers in e-mail (at least in a Gmail message I just tested) do become hyperlinks that get passed to the phone. I also see phone numbers on web pages become links, and holding down my finger on them pops up a bubble with the number in it, but so far I haven't gotten it to dial. I may have to go way overboard and read the manual...
    i just tried it and just tapped on the number and it paused a second, but then went to call the number...

I have to stop reading this thread. Now I really, really want an iPhone! Good thing I changed carriers when I did!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post
    what do you mean by no built in audio, no video? any videos you have in iTunes can be put on your iPhone... maybe you meant you can't record audio/video?

The dock that came with the iphone has a line out connector on the back so you can hook up any speakers that have a standard plug. i just tried it right now, it works even without the usb cable connected.

Also as for investment... i own 200 shares of AAPL, and just sold 5 shares days before to buy my iphone, i think of it as a reinvestment
    That's what I meant. But didn't someone here say the carport couldn't send audio out?

As for shares of Apple, that's how I would have done it.

i read some really good info on updates that are coming soon to iPhone from a guy with very credible sources. here's his post and there is also a word of MS Exchange with full ActiveSync compatibility...

I met with my buddy from Apple for Coffee today, I told him I loved the interface, and all the great subtle little features it has that makes it so easy to use. I then told him I really, wanted a File System Access so I could store files, download images from the web, and generally carry around data, not just load it up from iTunes..

He said Apple IS absolutely BUILDING this, and it will come in a software update no later than when Leopard ships in two months (there will be updates before this)

Here is what he said:
    There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files
    There will be a disk mode
    The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.
    There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations
    So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is
    Full spotlight like search is coming too
    Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari
    Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)
    Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.
    Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.
    When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.
    Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.
    Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.
    These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.
    Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.
    He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.
    Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.
    Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.
    The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)
    Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.
    Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!
    Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.
    Last edited by LocalMotion; July 1st, 2007 at 09:34 PM.

What would I do with an extra $600? Smart people make their money work for them by investing it. Throw it in your investment portfolio and buy shares of Apple instead of an Apple product. Make yourself rich not Apple.
    Smart folks will probably short Apple stock for a few days and purchase stock in AT&T.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

This morning on the radio they were mentioning a story about some older guy who cut in line straight to the front door at the Ala Moana store and got his phone, pissing off a bunch of people. Any confirmation on that?

Apparently quite a few folks took maximum advantage of the long wait in line and bought TWO phones that day, the per-person purchase limit set nationwide by Apple.

That super-sized iPhone countdown prop they have displayed at the storefront is pretty cool. It'd be neat to connect/modify the LCD display with a TV tuner and mount it landscape orientation on the wall as one VERY cool iPhone-looking flat screen TV.

PZ, those photos are pretty darned good for a camera phone. Sharp and detailed with bright vivid colors. Makes ithe iPhone the perfect "Swiss Army Knife" for bloggers.

I knew as an initial "1st gen' skeptic", I'd be eating my words.
    Last edited by Pomai; July 2nd, 2007 at 02:23 PM.

I gotta ask. Ryan, are you checking HT with your iPhone?

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

My boss 'showed off' the iphone by using its calculator function, and its beautiful!

*must resist using credit card to buy phone and joining the darkside*
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Nope....I'm with cingular/ATT but won't be buying one for a couple of years, or five or six, LOL. I am so stubborn about learning how to use technical things that until I learn how to do everything my Nokia does, ain't spending mroe money and I hear that thing is a lot. Of course there'll be newer versions of it, so let them get any bugs out, and uh.....yeah, I'm making excuses, LOL.....I am pitiful. I've never taken one picture with my current phone, have never sent email, or used the FM radio feature, yada yada.

I can make calls, answer and check voice mail. Heck, I can't even tell ya how to use the thing as an alarm clock, yet.

That's what I meant. But didn't someone here say the carport couldn't send audio out?
    As usual, I may have misunderstood. I've gotten sound to come out of the iPhone dock connector with the newest Griffin iTrip, but not with my older Monster iCarPlay. So, you're going to want to pay attention to reports as to whether an accessory is iPhone compatible or not (new accessories coming out will have a special logo on the box).

An interesting twist, though? The iPhone is an iPod and a cell phone. Ever put your cell phone next to an FM device? Yep. Noise city. What's cool is, the iPhone knew that I plugged in a non-iPhone accessory (the iTrip), and offered to switch the phone off (Airplane Mode) for the duration of FM-based rocking.

I'm thinking, though, I'm eventually going to have to just bite the bullet and go line-in with my car stereo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Any confirmation on that?
    I wouldn't doubt it. But for the most part, Apple lines are full of fantastic, friendly people. Apple came by to give out water several times, and a cart full of Starbucks iced tea as well. William Sonoma passed out brownie samples. People traded PSP games and iPod ear buds and stories. And, Ala Moana security and management was on the ball for the most part. Someone tried to jump in the line where there was a gap crossing the mall walk path a few people ahead of me, and they were quickly bounced out.
    Apparently quite a few folks took maximum advantage of the long wait in line and bought TWO phones that day, the per-person purchase limit set nationwide by Apple.
    I almost did, figuring I could probably find an interested buyer eventually... even for the list price, I could do a favor for a friend. Several of us were tracking iPhone launches on the East Coast and then West Coast to see what the demand was like. Turned out most stores had excess inventory after the lines dissipated, and I decided I didn't need the airline miles that much.
    That super-sized iPhone countdown prop they have displayed at the storefront is pretty cool.
    Indeed. I liked all the iPhone goodies. I asked about the "June 29" staff shirts and the posters inside, but the Apple employees were very clear how carefully Apple protects that stuff.
    PZ, those photos are pretty darned good for a camera phone. Sharp and detailed with bright vivid colors. Makes ithe iPhone the perfect "Swiss Army Knife" for bloggers.
    My thoughts exactly... save for the lack of audio and video recording. I like the camera a lot. Especially since the iPhone can tell if I was taking a portrait or landscape shot. Oh, I mentioned that already. Still, that rocks.
    I knew as an initial "1st gen' skeptic", I'd be eating my words.
    I'm an Apple fanboy, but I gotta say, this thing feels pretty refined for v1.0. I mean, especially the phone features and interface. It's the first phone Apple has taken a crack at, and it has features and thoughtful touches that feel like they've been in the biz for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    I gotta ask. Ryan, are you checking HT with your iPhone?
    Of course! Even though the iPhone supports the "real" internet, though, I find I gravitate toward mobile-optimized sites whenever I can anyway. It's just more efficient that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    [...]I can make calls, answer and check voice mail.
    That's all I need in a cell phone! I've never sent a text message and my phone doesn't have a camera!
    Heck, I can't even tell ya how to use the thing as an alarm clock, yet.
    I'm one up on ya there. I learned that feature a month ago.

I'm thinking, though, I'm eventually going to have to just bite the bullet and go line-in with my car stereo.
    pz,

I recently bought this for my car, and it's AWESOME for the ipod, honestly I haven't tried to connect my phone to it cause i would need to talk on it, but i have a dedicated 30gb iPod i use for my car.

i hope you don't get mad at me for showing you this

Very nice. Of course, if I got that, my car's audio deck would be worth more than the entire vehicle! I'm pretty sure my current deck, which already plays MP3 CDs (the reason I bought it), has a line-in somewhere. I just have to figure out how to use it.

Looks like the iPhone, in the short term, has been good news for Apple, financially. At least one analyst estimates that half a million of 'em have sold so far.

If you want a very thorough review of the iPhone, pluses and minuses, check out this write-up at AppleInsider.

Sue, yeah, I only need it for talking, too. I bought a good one cuz I wanted good reception, etc.

From my vantage point, you're rocking...woo hoo you can use the alarm. I actually may find it handy sometime. Where is that darn little booklet?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    [...]woo hoo you can use the alarm. I actually may find it handy sometime. Where is that darn little booklet?
    Assuming some features are similar on the various cell phones...go to Menu>Tools. See if it's there then just play with it. It's pretty simple!

John McClane's "sidekick" in the new Die Hard movie is the kid from the Apple commercials Tim Olyphant? and it would have been amusing if he had whipped out an iPhone during the movie. But no, it's Nokia all the way in the movie.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

I just finished playing with one and recorded pictures and video of it with my camera. As soon as I find a computer with an SD card, I'll post it up.

The iPhone itself is fun and gets some getting used to for a gadget freak like me because of the lack of a keypad. One flaw I see, is that when I rotate the phone while viewing a website, it won't rotate it no matter how much shaking I do.

Although I think I'm keen on getting he Canon SD750 camera that is next to me rather than the iPhone.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

that's funny my iphone rotates webpages in safari.

But you have to have the iPhone tilted and not flat. Basically like your holding it in your hands at a 45 degree angle

I typing this from my iphone in landscape mode right now

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast