Homes with huge Lanais: Mosquitos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homes with huge Lanais: Mosquitos?

I recently purchased a copy of Hawaiian Style magazine and was admiring photos of the beautiful high-end luxury homes in Hawaii. I noticed that many homes with huge lanais had access not via sliding glass doors, but via their living room. I mean it appeared that their entire exterior wall just slide into or folded into a side wall pocket. The melding of indoor and outdoor space was something that doesn't occur on the East coast or in any fine homes in Asia tat I have seen. It just wouldn't be practical because of the mosquitos, especially in tropical Asia, although I see things like this in Bali, I can't see how they tolerate the mosquitos. Then there are typhoons with sideways rain, but then I guess with that huge covered lanai, rain is not a problem.

So I want to ask, are mosquitos just not a problem in most areas? I heard there are a lot of microclimates on Oahu, like one side of the island has more rain and is more humid than the other side. I suppose there must also be seasonal differences in humidity and rain as well no? So are there parts of Oahu where you don't really have many mosquitos, I mean at least at certain times of year? I think many of those homes were in Kahala and other Diamond Head neighborhoods with maybe a home in Lanikai as well.

Re: Homes with huge Lanais: Mosquitos?

Yes mosquitos will be a problem but only during the late afternoon hours when they seem to swarm. During the day however it's rather pleasant. And yes you are correct that these homes have sliding pocket doors. You'll find the same kinds of homes on West Hawaii on the Big Island as well. Forget East Hawaii where I live as we get too much rain for that kind of architecture.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The bane of mosquitoes is wind. They simply don't have enough "fly power" to deal with it. If the home is located where there is a good steady breeze, it can keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Yes mosquitos will be a problem but only during the late afternoon hours when they seem to swarm. During the day however it's rather pleasant. And yes you are correct that these homes have sliding pocket doors. You'll find the same kinds of homes on West Hawaii on the Big Island as well. Forget East Hawaii where I live as we get too much rain for that kind of architecture.
        There are some high-end (and not-so high-end) luxury homes with that kind of architecture in East Hawai'i as well. Just look around Reed's Island, Sunrise Ridge/Sunrise Estates, Kapoho Vacationland, and Leilani Estates. There might even be a few in Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates, HPP, and Orchidland Estates.

As for mosquitoes in East Hawai'i, the coqui frogs are probably eating some of them.
        Last edited by Jonah K; July 2, 2007, 04:12 AM.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by M.Chao View Post
          So I want to ask, are mosquitos just not a problem in most areas?
          I don't know about the other islands, but on Hawai'i mosquitoes aren't nearly as common or voracious as they are on the continent. They are extremely uncommon in the upper sections of Hilo where I live and in most of the forests where I hike. I get maybe 1 bite a year in Hilo and perhaps a couple in a year of hiking. When you do encounter a mosquito or two they are very small and not as persistent as the mosquitoes in North America. The porous sloped ground just doesn't support standing water in most places, despite the high humidity and rainfall. Except for the few evenings a year that have termite swarms, bugs aren't much of a problem here.

Comment

if I could pull and ag exemption on mosquito farming, I would. But for my family, we are used to them; they do not leave welts on our skin or itchy bumps or anything like that. My kids all looked like they had a case of chicken pox until they were two yrs old, and then their immunities kicked in.

Mosquitos were only a concern to me during the dengue outbreak a few years back.

pax

Comment

I live central Oahu and we do have mosquitoes but I got a great surprise. We had the yard power sprayed for ants, centipedes, etc. and the guy asked us if we'd noticed any mosquitoes a few weeks later. I hadn't noticed that we weren't being bugged by them at all, and he then explained that when he sprays shrubs, trees, etc that he gets a lot of them.

It is true they don't bother us on windy days. What a blessing!
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I have three lanais/balconies as part of my home. 10' x 20' covered first-level lanai which I'll likely enclose in the next few years to be a dining room. I might as well do it because it just looks into a 6' high hollow tile wall on the property line just 5-1/2' away.

I also have two second story balconies: 1) 9' x 20' covered directly above the 10' x 20' first-level lanai - gets a nice breeze and is off my study; 2) 6' x 18' open balcony off the master suite and directly over the 6' x 18' storage room off the garage. I plan to enlarge the storage room to 12' x 18' and consequently also make the open balcony 12' x 18'.

I've not experienced mosquito problems during the 18 years I've been here in Mililani.

Comment

Working...
                X