Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip Video

Default Flip Video

This is, simply put...COOL!!! And the coolest thing about it is it's...simplicity!

A week or so ago I received a phone call from a local director asking if I was aware of the camera. (<whisper> He thinks I'm much techier than I am! </whisper>!) I'd not heard of it so I listened to him rave on and on, all the while thinking...yah, right, mega bucks!!! Try $150.!!! When a director raves, I listen! It's certainly not 3 CCD quality but he emailed me a couple of clips and I was impressed. He uses it during a location scout to show the client the various set options and camera angles. He talked to me about possible casting uses. I have 3 mini DV camcorders and 2 digital still cameras. I don't need another camera!

Fast forward a week to today and the Best Buy circular in the Sunday paper. The Flip is on sale for $120. That was enough to push me into adding another camera to my collection! And, I'll buy one as a Christmas present for my 3 grandsons to share. By December they'll be 10, 8 and 4 and I predict even the 4 year old will master it in 30 seconds!

For those of you who love a plethora of on-screen menus with tiny touch sensitive buttons you'll be terribly bored with this aim and shoot. But for those of us who are more, say, technologically challenged, this little camera is a winner. It runs on 2 AA batteries. The USB connection is hidden within the case until it's needed. Then it "flips" up! It also comes with a cable to connect to a TV.

Maybe someday I'll have time to play with YouTube!

Default Re: Flip Video

Looks cool, but no wonder I couldn't get that URL for my site!
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

I thought this was a video clip about pinoys.

sounds interesting, tutusue, but what is it about the product that makes it so much better than your mini dv camcorders? the size? the price? as you know, with your mini dv camcorder, you can already do almost everything that the flip can do and with better quality: record, immediate playback, play video on tv, etc.

of course, i'm not saying it's a bad product. i'm just trying to see what you see
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by i-hungry View Post
    me too. One that comes to mind is Imeldalicious. That is one Carazy video

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Fast forward a week to today and the Best Buy circular in the Sunday paper. The Flip is on sale for $120.
    I didn't see the BB flier in the Sunday HA. That's the 60 minute version for the price of the 30 minute one.

One thing that bothers me is the internal flash memory. Flash is only good for so many uses. If it was external, it can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by i-hungry View Post
    TeeHee...fooled ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaveice View Post
    sounds interesting, tutusue, but what is it about the product that makes it so much better than your mini dv camcorders? the size? the price? as you know, with your mini dv camcorder, you can already do almost everything that the flip can do and with better quality: record, immediate playback, play video on tv, etc.

of course, i'm not saying it's a bad product. i'm just trying to see what you see
    The size, convenience, video quality and the learning curve!!! I tend to use the video option on my still camera more than I thought I would. The quality is such that I wouldn't use that option for work. The Flip's quality is good enough for work. I don't like taking my much more expensive camcorders on location, esp. to the beach. The new camera will be great for that.

My main casting camera is a 3 CCD Panasonic. The quality is great. But, I'm protective of it and save it for interior casting sessions only. The Flip is small enough for my purse and inexpensive enough to play with! And the AA battery usage is great...no bulky, expensive, specialty batteries or chargers to lug along!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    [...]One thing that bothers me is the internal flash memory. Flash is only good for so many uses. If it was external, it can be replaced.
    This is definitely something to watch for. Thanks for the heads up. I use external flash drives a lot and, so far, I've not had a problem even after using the same 2 for several years...except for one which was a problem right out of the box. I returned it!

$120. Usually that's more what I would spend for a camera but there are times when I break that rule.

The fact that it runs on 2 AA batteries is certainly a good thing. Not having an external memory card is kind of a borderline thing with me but the fact that the small version is at least 512Mbytes seems to be a good comprise.

I was looking at the physical specs for this thing. Height of 4.125 inches with a width of 2.25 inches and a depth of 1.25 inches and a weight of 4.9 ounces. The thing could be lofted by a model rocket.

Cool Re: Flip Video

Ditto. Filipino camcorder, not?

Amazon.com has "used" ones, $96.00.

I'm way less techno-sabe then you but I might chancem'. Nice Xmas present anyway.
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

By the way just for the record, the company that makes the Flip is called Pure Digital Technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    $120. Usually that's more what I would spend for a camera
    Ugh. You can get a usable camera, but not a good one for that price.

The thing could be lofted by a model rocket.
    Mad scientist alert!!

OK, so I head for Best Buy to have a look at this Flip video. But right next to it is another device. Not quite as cute, but the specs look better. Up to D1 format (720x480), uses external SD card up to 2GB for 200 minutes in VGA mode and some other features. And it's under $100.

Well, it followed me home. Now to see if it will do the job I have in mind.

This wouldn't be the Aiptek iCam?

This wouldn't be the Aiptek iCam?
    That would be it.

I saw the iCam yesterday, too! I ended up buying another Flip Video for my grandsons for Christmas.

I wonder if these new, lower end, aim and shoot cameras are targeted to the YouTube generation!

I love the idea of the Flip...for $150 it sure sounds like a good deal. I'm going to go to Best Buy and if I like it, I'm gonna buy one. Being that I'm not much of a video camera guy, the idea of all the tapes and everything is kind of annoying, so this suits me fine....so compact too.

It WOULD be better if it had removeable storage cards in it like a camera does...I wonder why they didn't make it that way.

SO, I guess you have to dump your video into your computer and clear it off the camera after an hour. A little inconvenient, but the price is right...that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
    It WOULD be better if it had removeable storage cards in it like a camera does...I wonder why they didn't make it that way.
    More than likey targetting an segment that (a) doesn't take all that much videos (b) have problems dealing with small parts (like memory cards) or (c) trying to make it as simple as possible.

From my experience cameras usually have some where from 8 to 16Mbytes of internal memory. Great for under 10 still pictures. So having one with 512 Mytes is kind of respectable. If the Flip could do still photos, that is a lot of photos to store.
    Last edited by helen; July 4th, 2007 at 11:50 AM.

I love the idea of the Flip...for $150 it sure sounds like a good deal. I'm going to go to Best Buy and if I like it, I'm gonna buy one.
    The Best Buy I went to had them, but not on display where you can play with it. I went to get one, and ended up with the iCam instead. Cheaper and it does have removable media. (SD card).

I would like to meet up with a flip owner sometime and do some side-by-side to compare video quality.

TutuSue...Thanx for the heads up on the FLIP...I bought one today and LOVE it...so much fun, so easy, so...Cool !

Perfect for a Vidiot like me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    [...]I would like to meet up with a flip owner sometime and do some side-by-side to compare video quality.
    The HT Christmas party...possibly?!

TutuSue...Thanx for the heads up on the FLIP...I bought one today[...]
    Hopefully you were able to get the $120. sale price!

I video'd the fireworks last night and it looks great played back on the camera's screen. I haven't had time to download to the computer so don't know how it really looks!

Hopefully you were able to get the $120. sale price!

I video'd the fireworks last night and it looks great played back on the camera's screen. I haven't had time to download to the computer so don't know how it really looks!
    Yes....$119...a great deal for sure.

The HT Christmas party...possibly?!
    Too late to return my purchase for a flip.

do you know how long that sale will last? and is a coupon required for the sale price?
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Quote Originally Posted by shaveice View Post
    do you know how long that sale will last? and is a coupon required for the sale price?

No coupon. Unless anyone knows otherwise, I wouldn't count on it beyond Saturday.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast