X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flip Video

Originally posted by helen View Post
    This wouldn't be the Aiptek iCam?
    found it at amazon (free shipping) for $89. reading the reviews is interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-MPEG4-S...3797268&sr=8-1

and the flip video at amazon for $120 (also free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-Cam...3800060&sr=8-1

lots of good comments from users....
    Last edited by shaveice; July 6, 2007, 11:22 PM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
      found it at amazon (free shipping) for $89. reading the reviews is interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-MPEG4-S...3797268&sr=8-1
      Slightly different model. The one at Best Buy is 8MP, not 6. Not sure what effect it will have on the quality.

Comment

Haha me too! I even said Plip Bideo when I read it.

On to the next thread... (all I need is something else to be paranoid about losing easily... which I'm famous for)

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
        I thought this was a video clip about pinoys.

Comment

Well, before you strap it to a rocket, Helen, could you upload some sample clips to YouTube, Blip, Grouper, Yahoo! Video, Google Video, or somewhere similar? Maybe just a long steady shot of a moving scene like a street corner?

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be a fun way to get my kids into "media making," without fearing them smashing a "real" device to bits.

Comment

Doing it right now to YouTube. In fact test #1 is a street scene, test #2 is my breakfast.

Comment

Thanks for that, Helen!

Obviously, the Aiptek is cheaper, but the video and audio off the Flip Cam is noticably clearer and crisper, even on over-compressed YouTube.

May miss the deal at Best Buy, but the price looks right on Amazon anyway!

Comment

All four videos have been uploaded to YouTube. The file sizes of the videos are:
                • test 1a - Flip - 14.8 Mbytes
                • test 1b - iCam - 16.9 Mbytes
                • test 2a - Flip - 6.49 Mbytes
                • test 2b - iCam - 8.83 Mbytes

For the tests I am using both cameras at the same time. The Flip with my left hand and the iCam with my right hand.

Also the resolution is different the Flip is at 640x480 while the iCam is at 720x480. While you can't change the resolution of the Flip you can with the iCam, there are two other lower settings. Maybe I should try the iCam to the 640x480 setting to see how that turns out.

Need to also say that the Flip generates .AVI files while the iCam does .ASF files.

Comment

Interesting, Helen. I'm no fan of .AVIs, but I'll take them over .ASF. And I'm surprised that the Aiptek was recording at a higher resolution (and hence also generates larger files) than the Flip Cam, because again the Flip video looks and sounds much better.

Tutusue, you're a Mac head... have you had much time to see what you can do with the videos off your Flip Cam? Can they go into iMovie or QuickTime, and get edited? Or is it pretty much "what you record is what you've got"?

Comment

Nice comparison.

The Flip seems to handle the high contrast better and looks more natural. The iCam seems to have more color saturation.

I'd also say the Flip has much better sound.

What does the Flip have in the way of zoom? The iCam can do up to 4x digital zoom. It's admittedly "jerky" as it steps, but it does have one. It seems the Flip emphases simplicity and I'm wondering what flexibility it sacrifices.

How about a low-light comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      [...]The more I think about it, the more I think this might be a fun way to get my kids into "media making," without fearing them smashing a "real" device to bits.
                      That's exactly why I bought one for my 3 grandsons for Christmas. My daughter thinks the boys will be absolutely thrilled!
                      Doing it right now to YouTube. In fact test #1 is a street scene, test #2 is my breakfast.
                      Thanks, Helen. Like Shaveice mentioned earlier, the reviews of each camera at Amazon.com are very interesting.
                      Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      [...]Tutusue, you're a Mac head... have you had much time to see what you can do with the videos off your Flip Cam? Can they go into iMovie or QuickTime, and get edited? Or is it pretty much "what you record is what you've got"?
                      Ummm...I'm an untechie tutu who still, after 17 years on a Mac, can't do it justice! I still haven't done anything with the Flip beyond recording but a friend is coming by today who is pretty well versed on a Mac so I'm going to impose on him to help me find out what can be done once the video hits the desktop. Maybe he can also help me move into the YouTube generation!
                      Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      [...]What does the Flip have in the way of zoom?[...]
                      Only 2X. I'm wondering if that small zoom will affect the clarity. We'll see!!!

Comment

The Flip has 2x.

The next set of test I am going to set the iCam to 640x480 mode and also add in the HP M527 and the Aiptek DV4100.

Comment

[...]The next set of test I am going to set the iCam to 640x480 mode and also add in the HP M527 and the Aiptek DV4100.
                          Helen...you rock(et)!

Comment

I uploaded the zoom test videos to YouTube. There are titled Test 3 and some letter.

In the attached leftmost photo are the cameras that did the test. From left to right is the Pure Digital Flip, Aiptek iCam, the HP M527 and the Aiptek DV4100. Taken these three attached photos was the Aiptek DV3100.

Interesting notes:
                            • I was able to fit all four cameras into that black camera bag shown in the leftmost photo
                            • All cameras use 2 AA batteries for power
                            • The iCam and the M527 uses a SD card up to 2Gbytes
                            • The DV3100 and DV4100 uses CompactFlash cards up to 512 Mbytes
                            • Externally you can't tell the difference between the DV3100 and DV4100
                            • Video resolution are 640x480 for the Flip, iCam and DV4100. 320x240 for the M527 and DV3100
                            • Center attached photo is the Century Center
                            • Right most attached photo is the Pan Am building
                            • Zooms are 2x - Flip,DV3100; 3x - M527; 4x - DV4100,iCam
                            • The M527 uses optical zoom but when video capture is on you can't zoom in or out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I bought one a couple months back. My MIL wanted to record our sons voice and wanted a handheld tape recorder. I didn't want to have to go from analog to digital (into the computer). I went through several ideas ... buy a digital camera and have her learn to use the video capture mode ... web cam hooked up to her Mac Mini which would probably be too complicated. Finally I chose the FlipVideo because of it's ease of use and the price. I wish it had an SD card slot but oh well.

I remember when we were at U2 someone next to us was using his FlipVideo to record the concert. I tried to check youtube to see if there was footage from our angle.
                              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I upload more videos to my YouTube site. The test5 series was taken a couple of weeks ago from the vantage point at Ala Moana Beach Park while the model rocket launches are from Saturday's launch at Windward Community College.

Comment

Working...
                                X