Flip Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flip Video

I haven't had much time to play with my Flip other to record, playback and delete! Eldest spawn was given one for Christmas (by Google, of all things!) and took it on her trip to Antarctica. She handed it to me this morning and asked me to burn the footage to a DVD. I have no idea how to do that!

So, I ask you Mac-o-philes, how do I do this so that the DVD will play on any player and not just the computer? I have iMovie and iDVD, obviously but I haven't a clue because the files end in .avi!!!

ETA: I have the cable that came with my Flip to hook it up to the TV. The connector thingie (there I go with GeekTalk!) that fits in the camera doesn't work with my daughter's camera. The connection is too loose. Hers is the 30 min. model and mine is the 60 min. Why would the connections be different? She forgot her cable!
    Last edited by tutusue; February 16, 2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

That's because you have the Flip and your daughter got the Flip Ultra. Turns out that Flip's TV jack uses a sub-mini jack while the Flip Ultra's TV jack uses a mini jack (the diameter is larger). That's why your cable fits losey in her Flip unit.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        That's because you have the Flip and your daughter got the Flip Ultra. Turns out that Flip's TV jack uses a sub-mini jack while the Flip Ultra's TV jack uses a mini jack (the diameter is larger). That's why your cable fits losey in her Flip unit.
        Aha! Thanx, Helen. I responded to your PM before I read your reply to this thread!!!

Comment

Side by side comparsion between the Flip and the Flip Ultra.

While I installed the Flip Ultra software on my home desktop (which runs Windows XP Home) sometime ago, it seems that my system is trying to re-install the old Flip software again.

Comment

i'm not a particular fan of flip video but i did get an ad in my email box from amazon about the new Flip Video Mino:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000233771

i remembered this thread and thought that maybe those interested in the flip video might want to explore this latest version....
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

A comparison of all three families are at this link from Pure Digital Technologies.

The Mino is smaller, lighter, uses a recharagble battery that what I thnk is can not be changed by the user.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                A comparison of all three families are at this link from Pure Digital Technologies.

The Mino is smaller, lighter, uses a recharagble battery that what I thnk is can not be changed by the user.
                Unfortunately the flip camera uses a non standard video file storage format.
                Setting proprietary file standards usually dooms this sort of product.
                Witness the Kodak 620 film size.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

So, I ask you Mac-o-philes, how do I do this so that the DVD will play on any player and not just the computer? I have iMovie and iDVD, obviously but I haven't a clue because the files end in .avi!!!
                  The easiest way is to use Toast. I consider Toast 9 a must have for mac users. it lets you burn, copy, etc. almost any type of disc. it even converts all types of video formats. In Toast you could choose DVD-Video and drop in your AVI's and it will create a DVD that will play in a regular DVD player.

You could also use iDVD if it will read the AVI's. If it won't you could try opening the video in Quicktime and then export it.

Let me know if i can help you with this....
                  website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                  blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                    Unfortunately the flip camera uses a non standard video file storage format.
                    Setting proprietary file standards usually dooms this sort of product.
                    Witness the Kodak 620 film size.

The flip site says it uses "Advanced Profile MPEG-4 AVI" which is a common standard video format.

Comment

I don't have one (yet), but a musician friend of mine does (and he's already posted a few YouTube videos of us playing Hawaiian music).

New York Times Magazine did a piece about Flip a few weeks back.

Comment

If you are using YouTube to share the videos from the Flip then you have no problem.

The problem comes if you try to play the file the Flip generates on your computer to another computer. If the 2nd computer has never had a Flip camera attached to it, it can't play the video. Something to do with the video codec (or codex) files not being on it.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                          [...]Let me know if i can help you with this....
                          Thank you so much. I really need to get Toast as it seems it's the common denominator to several other DVD burning issues I have.

Off the Flip topic for just a bit...
                          Will Toast burn a DVD directly from iMovie (ie: drag and drop the finished project's iMovie icon into Toast)? For casting tapes I want to bypass iDVD because I don't want to use a Theme. Currently I'm exporting the tape to iMovie for the edit. Then I export the final edit back to the camera so that I can then burn a DVD on a stand alone recorder. It would be nice to eliminate a step or 2!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Thank you so much. I really need to get Toast as it seems it's the common denominator to several other DVD burning issues I have.

Off the Flip topic for just a bit...
                            Will Toast burn a DVD directly from iMovie (ie: drag and drop the finished project's iMovie icon into Toast)? For casting tapes I want to bypass iDVD because I don't want to use a Theme. Currently I'm exporting the tape to iMovie for the edit. Then I export the final edit back to the camera so that I can then burn a DVD on a stand alone recorder. It would be nice to eliminate a step or 2!
                            i'm pretty sure it can, but i'll check. i don't use iMovie that much. I know Toast 9 has the Media browser panel like all the other apple apps to directly access your "Movies" folder. I think you still have to use some type of theme/menu in Toast as well, but you can have it autostart without going to the menu first.

Comment

sue,

in iMovie then project you want to "share" you would click on the Share menu item, then choose Media Browser. This will pull up a screen where you choose the size, and looks like this:

Then It will be available in the Media Browser in Toast 9, you can then drag and drop it into Toast. I also see there is a "No Menus" options in Toast. Here's a screen shot of Toast ready to burn a imovie project that was shared out of imovie's menu

Hope this helps.

Comment

Woweeeee!!!! Thank you so, so much. I'll let you know what happens!

Comment

Working...
                                X