Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flip Video

Red face Re: Flip Video

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I wonder if these new, lower end, aim and shoot cameras are targeted to the YouTube generation!
    You can be part of the YouTube generation, tutusue! Have you been able to get any of your clips online? The fireworks show, for example? I'm curious to see sample output.

Admittedly, flash-encoding video sites like YouTube really lower video quality, but sometimes it's more than enough to enjoy the audiovisual experience of an event. You could also use Blip.TV if you want to make the original file available for download as well.

The price point is right. This is exactly the kind of video camera you could give to kids and see what they create, without pulling your hair out in anxiety.

Default Re: Flip Video

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    You can be part of the YouTube generation, tutusue! Have you been able to get any of your clips online? The fireworks show, for example? I'm curious to see sample output.[...]
    I'm still in remodel and move mode so taking time out to figure out anything new doesn't fit into my schedule just yet. I've only viewed YouTube...never uploaded!

I picked up the 60 minute version of the Flip this evening at Best Buy for just under $126 (tax included). They had 2 left after I purchased mines.

Kind of simple to operate, as far as taking a video and playing on the unit. I was able to connect it to my home desktop tower which runs Windows XP Home. The Flip shows up as a disk drive. There are 3 folders and 3 files at the top level of this disk drive. One of the folders is for Macintosh users, the second folder contains software that can be installed (which I haven't yet done) and the third folder contains the videos that you take.

There is a one minute sample video that comes with the unit. I transfered that and a couple of videos I took around my building. They look okay considering the amount of light that was available.

Will try to put it thru it's paces over the weekend.

Also the Flip has no tripod mount but it can stand on it's own. And it does fit inside an Estes BT-80 tube (the same type of tube that the Broadsword uses).

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    [...]And it does fit inside an Estes BT-80 tube (the same type of tube that the Broadsword uses).
    What goes up must come down, Helen! How soft is the rocket's...and the camera's...landing?

I think I will wait for the price of the Flip to drop down around $50 (even the 30 minute version will do) before I start lofting it on a model rocket.

This wouldn't be the Aiptek iCam?
    found it at amazon (free shipping) for $89. reading the reviews is interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-MPEG4-S...3797268&sr=8-1

and the flip video at amazon for $120 (also free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-Cam...3800060&sr=8-1

lots of good comments from users....
    Last edited by shaveice; July 6th, 2007 at 11:22 PM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Quote Originally Posted by shaveice View Post
    found it at amazon (free shipping) for $89. reading the reviews is interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-MPEG4-S...3797268&sr=8-1
    Slightly different model. The one at Best Buy is 8MP, not 6. Not sure what effect it will have on the quality.

Haha me too! I even said Plip Bideo when I read it.

On to the next thread... (all I need is something else to be paranoid about losing easily... which I'm famous for)

Quote Originally Posted by i-hungry View Post
    I thought this was a video clip about pinoys.

Exclamation Re: Flip Video

Well, before you strap it to a rocket, Helen, could you upload some sample clips to YouTube, Blip, Grouper, Yahoo! Video, Google Video, or somewhere similar? Maybe just a long steady shot of a moving scene like a street corner?

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be a fun way to get my kids into "media making," without fearing them smashing a "real" device to bits.

Doing it right now to YouTube. In fact test #1 is a street scene, test #2 is my breakfast.

Thanks for that, Helen!

Obviously, the Aiptek is cheaper, but the video and audio off the Flip Cam is noticably clearer and crisper, even on over-compressed YouTube.

May miss the deal at Best Buy, but the price looks right on Amazon anyway!

All four videos have been uploaded to YouTube. The file sizes of the videos are:

• test 1a - Flip - 14.8 Mbytes
    • test 1b - iCam - 16.9 Mbytes
    • test 2a - Flip - 6.49 Mbytes
    • test 2b - iCam - 8.83 Mbytes

For the tests I am using both cameras at the same time. The Flip with my left hand and the iCam with my right hand.

Also the resolution is different the Flip is at 640x480 while the iCam is at 720x480. While you can't change the resolution of the Flip you can with the iCam, there are two other lower settings. Maybe I should try the iCam to the 640x480 setting to see how that turns out.

Need to also say that the Flip generates .AVI files while the iCam does .ASF files.

Interesting, Helen. I'm no fan of .AVIs, but I'll take them over .ASF. And I'm surprised that the Aiptek was recording at a higher resolution (and hence also generates larger files) than the Flip Cam, because again the Flip video looks and sounds much better.

Tutusue, you're a Mac head... have you had much time to see what you can do with the videos off your Flip Cam? Can they go into iMovie or QuickTime, and get edited? Or is it pretty much "what you record is what you've got"?

Nice comparison.

The Flip seems to handle the high contrast better and looks more natural. The iCam seems to have more color saturation.

I'd also say the Flip has much better sound.

What does the Flip have in the way of zoom? The iCam can do up to 4x digital zoom. It's admittedly "jerky" as it steps, but it does have one. It seems the Flip emphases simplicity and I'm wondering what flexibility it sacrifices.

How about a low-light comparison?

[...]The more I think about it, the more I think this might be a fun way to get my kids into "media making," without fearing them smashing a "real" device to bits.
    That's exactly why I bought one for my 3 grandsons for Christmas. My daughter thinks the boys will be absolutely thrilled!
    Doing it right now to YouTube. In fact test #1 is a street scene, test #2 is my breakfast.
    Thanks, Helen. Like Shaveice mentioned earlier, the reviews of each camera at Amazon.com are very interesting.
    [...]Tutusue, you're a Mac head... have you had much time to see what you can do with the videos off your Flip Cam? Can they go into iMovie or QuickTime, and get edited? Or is it pretty much "what you record is what you've got"?
    Ummm...I'm an untechie tutu who still, after 17 years on a Mac, can't do it justice! I still haven't done anything with the Flip beyond recording but a friend is coming by today who is pretty well versed on a Mac so I'm going to impose on him to help me find out what can be done once the video hits the desktop. Maybe he can also help me move into the YouTube generation!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    [...]What does the Flip have in the way of zoom?[...]
    Only 2X. I'm wondering if that small zoom will affect the clarity. We'll see!!!

The Flip has 2x.

The next set of test I am going to set the iCam to 640x480 mode and also add in the HP M527 and the Aiptek DV4100.

[...]The next set of test I am going to set the iCam to 640x480 mode and also add in the HP M527 and the Aiptek DV4100.
    Helen...you rock(et)!

I uploaded the zoom test videos to YouTube. There are titled Test 3 and some letter.

In the attached leftmost photo are the cameras that did the test. From left to right is the Pure Digital Flip, Aiptek iCam, the HP M527 and the Aiptek DV4100. Taken these three attached photos was the Aiptek DV3100.

Interesting notes:
    • I was able to fit all four cameras into that black camera bag shown in the leftmost photo
    • All cameras use 2 AA batteries for power
    • The iCam and the M527 uses a SD card up to 2Gbytes
    • The DV3100 and DV4100 uses CompactFlash cards up to 512 Mbytes
    • Externally you can't tell the difference between the DV3100 and DV4100
    • Video resolution are 640x480 for the Flip, iCam and DV4100. 320x240 for the M527 and DV3100
    • Center attached photo is the Century Center
    • Right most attached photo is the Pan Am building
    • Zooms are 2x - Flip,DV3100; 3x - M527; 4x - DV4100,iCam
    • The M527 uses optical zoom but when video capture is on you can't zoom in or out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought one a couple months back. My MIL wanted to record our sons voice and wanted a handheld tape recorder. I didn't want to have to go from analog to digital (into the computer). I went through several ideas ... buy a digital camera and have her learn to use the video capture mode ... web cam hooked up to her Mac Mini which would probably be too complicated. Finally I chose the FlipVideo because of it's ease of use and the price. I wish it had an SD card slot but oh well.

I remember when we were at U2 someone next to us was using his FlipVideo to record the concert. I tried to check youtube to see if there was footage from our angle.

I upload more videos to my YouTube site. The test5 series was taken a couple of weeks ago from the vantage point at Ala Moana Beach Park while the model rocket launches are from Saturday's launch at Windward Community College.

Talking Re: Flip Video

Woo! I just won a free Flip Video camera through some promotion through Facebook. It arrived today. The hardest part about getting started was getting the thing out of the darned plastic coffin it came in. (Those things are a class action suit waiting to happen.) I took it to my family temple's bon dance tonight.

The good news? It's dead simple to use. Almost confusingly simple. I wasted several minutes looking for a menu. Any menu. Where are the settings? How do I turn off the cheesy beeps? Nothing. You've got the various buttons on the thing, and that's it.

It feels reasonably sturdy in the hand, and without moving parts, I knew I could be a little rough with it. The kids ran around taking dizzying video clips of their feet for a while.

I was quite honestly surprised at how well it worked in the dark... or at least, outside at night. I know my "regular" digital camera would've balked without blurry long exposures or red-tinted images, but the Flip adjusted its frame rate and white balance and got to work. Here's a three minute taiko drum performance. I uploaded the original AVI.

I got home, and plugged it in. The USB plug is built into the camera, popping out like a little arm. Convenient and cute, I suppose... but if your computer has oddly placed USB ports, it's going to be a problem. I had to lift one end of my Macbook up to fit it in.

The bad news? It's not very Mac compatible. Oh, sure, it mounts right up as a USB drive, and in the DCIM folder, there's all the videos. But they're MPEG-4 AVIs, which Macs don't read natively. It came with a 3ivx decoder that's supposed to slot right into Quicktime, but it didn't work for me. The only solution offered is, "Force Quicktime to run in Rosetta mode," i.e. PowerPC, non-Intel, slow and yucky mode.

The barebones movie editing software that lets you connect clips together and add a music track doesn't work on Macs, either.

At the moment I'm making a movie by running the Flip Video software under XP on Parallels. It's a heck of a workaround, but I'm not sure what else I can do. Obviously if I just upload the AVIs off the camera straight to YouTube or other video hosting sites, they'll work just fine.

So, as a quickie, easy video camera? Fantastic. As a tool to post the random clip to YouTube? Perfect. As a way to make some simple movies on a Windows PC? Great. It's just not a Mac-friendly option if you want to work in iMovie or Final Cut or Quicktime Pro on a current Intel-based machine.

So, as a quickie, easy video camera? Fantastic. As a tool to post the random clip to YouTube? Perfect. As a way to make some simple movies on a Windows PC? Great. It's just not a Mac-friendly option if you want to work in iMovie or Final Cut or Quicktime Pro on a current Intel-based machine.
    Exactly.....I've been turning people on to Flip, since I bought mine, which I found out about throught this very thread (thanx Tutu Sue!)

And,yes, as usual, the Mac users get screwed. When will consumer electronics manufacturers figure out that Apple is part of the world now, not some underground,subversive computer ?

that being said, I lovemy Flip, and only wish the included software allowed you to edit the clips in the movie, so you can cut out the parts of the clips you don't like.

Oh, well, maybe the next generation of Flip cams will.

Thumbs up Re: Flip Video

Well, though it's a clumsy workaround to run the Flip Video software on Windows XP inside Parallels on my Mac, I wanted to see how the "Movie Mix" feature worked. There's no clip editing at all -- just picking and choosing which clips to include -- and I opted against the cheesy themes and soundtrack effects. Even so, again, as a basic tool that comes with a $130 camera, it's not bad at all.

Here's my "Movie Mix" from last night's bon dance. It's all 25 or so clips on the camera, connected together. I was surprised it did dissolve transitions at all (and it handles the briefly blended audio better than iMovie!). Not a bad record of the evening at all, impressively something I did the very first evening I had the Flip Video.

I said earlier I'd consider something like this for my kids to use, and now I know that's a perfect idea. But I'm impressed at how easy it was for grown-ups, too.

One thing I sort of noticed is that the filenames of the videos it takes has the date of when it was taken.

I haven't tried taken videos around midnight to see if the date change happens around that time or not.

Red face Re: Flip Video

More Flip Video fun, as I whipped the little thing out of my pocket during our Big Island trip this past weekend.
    Since it's such a basic, cheap gadget, I don't feel obligated to do anything particularly fancy with the video as far as editing or even clip composition goes (versus my "formal" videoblog entries). Just hit record and whatever happens, happens. It's oddly liberating.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast