Flip Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flip Video

Another comparsion between the Flip camcorder and the Aiptek DV4100 digital camera taking a video of the fireworks display at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I had the Flip in my left hand and DV4100 in my right hand when I took the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Another comparsion between the Flip camcorder and the Aiptek DV4100 digital camera taking a video of the fireworks display at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I had the Flip in my left hand and DV4100 in my right hand when I took the videos.
      I just wanted to say that I really do appreciate all of your comparison videos and pictures, it helps for someone like me wanting to purchase one, but not needing it. It seems as though the FLIP has better quality, however I'm leaning more towards the Aiptek mainly because of the ability to use memory cards for more storage.

What will I be recording that's more than 60 minutes? You never know...

I know I just missed a sale at Best Buy for the Aiptek at little less than $90, but we're on a budget, young family, etc., etc. In the meantime, I have more time to research.
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

I'm eyeing the Mustek DV520T. No particular reason, but I suspect the additional 50% on the price brings a significantly better unit. At least that was my impression on playing with it in the store. It does sometimes get put on sale. Much smaller then the Aiptek.

Comment

I picked up the Flip Ultra Video (2 G, 60 min.) at CompUSA finally. It was $149 plus got a "free" digital keychain with it. Now...to start taking videos! I saw that the 30 min. Flip was only $79 at one of the stores (can't remember which offhand). It wasn't the Ultra..and I think it was 1 G.

Comment

I noticed that the Sunday's CompUSA ad had then selling the Flip for $129. I did not know that CompUSA was carrying the Flip.

Comment

is this Flip that you all are talking about anything like the Sony NSC-GC1 Net Sharing Camcorder?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ng%20Camcorder

I just won one at my company Christmas party this weekend, but i returned it for a Circuit City credit! Didn't think I'd have much use for it, as I have a digital camera and a camcorder... Now, y'all are making me think i should've kept it...
              I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

We have a camcorder and cameras too....but I liked the idea of a small, easy to use video camera that could be hooked directly up to the computer for viewing. The one that is $129 at CompUSA is similar to the one I bought for $149......I think the Ultra is supposed to be a bit faster and has better quality than the regular....but haven't tested it yet. Hope to get some good videos when I go to San Diego for my brother's 50th birthday...we're hiring a limo for a wine tasting tour of Temeculah. :-)

Comment

Just an update of the Flip Video camcorder being put through it's paces during the last 6 or so months.

Not having an external memory card is kind of a borderline thing with me but the fact that the small version is at least 512Mbytes seems to be a good comprise.
                  I got the 1Gbyte version which can hold to 60 minutes and I have yet to come across that limiit. I think the most I have used up is around 15 to 20 minutes of video time, but that is mostly taking videos of model rockets going up and not plays.

One thing I sort of noticed is that the filenames of the videos it takes has the date of when it was taken.

I haven't tried taken videos around midnight to see if the date change happens around that time or not.
                  Something to watch out for is February 29, 2008. In 2004 my SiPix SC-3300 digital camera didn't deal with the leap year correctly.

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                  It seems as though the FLIP has better quality, however I'm leaning more towards the Aiptek mainly because of the ability to use memory cards for more storage.

What will I be recording that's more than 60 minutes? You never know...

I know I just missed a sale at Best Buy for the Aiptek at little less than $90, but we're on a budget, young family, etc., etc. In the meantime, I have more time to research.
                  The major minus with the Flip is the lack of a tripod mount which is way more important than having provisions for an external memory card. I don't think I could hold on to an object straight for 60 minutes at one time.

And as far as what one can record for more than 60 minutes at a time, that would be theatrical plays. I have it done it before using the Aiptek DV3100 (or the DV4100) but a normal 2 act play runs roughtly 60 minutes per act. Back in those days I had to have multiple memory cards and extra sets of AA alkaline batteries to record such a play and even then I had to use a tripod to aim the camera at the stage since I was doing something else (running lights and sound of all things).

Comment

I was at Comp USA today just to see what they had on sale. Bought a bunch of blank CDs and one of those Flip Video Cameras (30 minute version) for $89. I think this is good for short YouTube clips. Picture is surprisingly clear for such a cheap video camera. Except for it saving to AVI mode (which forced me to download some kind of CODEC files so that the thing works on my Mac with QT Pro) and the previously mentioned, no tripod mount, I can't think of much to complain about. I don't think anyone uses this to create the next great American movie.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      and the previously mentioned, no tripod mount, I can't think of much to complain about. I don't think anyone uses this to create the next great American movie.
                      Mel, they do sell tripods for the Flip Video. I bought one for our Flip Video Ultra Series camcorder through Amazon.com. Granted, it's a dinky little thing and looks more like a book stand.
                      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

The tripod only works on the Flip Ultra line which is something new, but then again the Flip Ultra has a tripod mount. The original ones don't have a tripod mount at all.

This link points to the specs page for both the Flip and the Flip Ultra. The Flip Ultra does not make use of external memory cards.

Comment

The 60 minute ultras are also at CompUSA. I think it was $143.

Comment

The base price of 2Gbyte (or 60 minute) Flip Ultra is $179. CompUSA is selling them for $126. Had at least another 15 to 20 units left. The other drawback is that it's the white/silver model.

I did pick one up tonight.

Comment

So how do you like the Ultra? They had one out on display today. I was surprised at how thick it is.

Comment

I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Will try it out over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X