Culinary Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culinary Skills

What are you good at - and not so good at - in the kitchen? Baking? Roasting? Knife skills? Preparation? Organization? Clean-up?

Any particular ethnic specialty? Italian? Japanese? Chinese? Filipino? Other?

My sister is an expert at leftovers. Having a large family, she can take last night's spaghetti and meatballs and turn it into tonight's casserole. Or turn tomorrow night's stir-fry into the following night's lumpia, just to keep the kids interested in eating it. And it always turns out incredibly delicious. She's also excellent at baking, which requires more technical application than simply "cooking".

I've improved over the years, having gained most of my culinary talent reading recipes and watching the Food Network and local cooking shows.

But if there's one thing I'm terrible at is TIME MANAGEMENT. When you come as a guest to eat at my place, if I say dinner is at 6pm, it usually means 8pm by the time I get all the side dishes ready, the main dish out of the oven (or off the grill) and everything on the table.

If there's one thing I continue to try honing (no pun intended) are my knife skills. Last night on Travel Channel's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman, one segment featured the infamous "Turducken", a boneless chicken, wrapped inside a boneless duck, wrapped inside a boneless turkey. The person preparing the dish showed off how quickly he could debone these three fowl foods, which he did within 5 minutes. The (Japanese) Iron Chefs' knife skills are the most amazing, especially when it comes to seafood.

I have yet to master the art of peeling the skin off a mango (or any other skinned fruit) using just a knife and one hand.

Once upon a time I was really good at "cooking" saimin! It's all in how you boil the water.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Culinary Skills

Hey Helen, maybe you should rename this thread 'cooking skills' because you know, people might not be able to figure out what cullinary skills means.

--

Somehow (probably from watching my mom alot as a kid) I can cook. I cook Chinese, American, and Italian foods. Recently, due to the manapua thread, I tried to make manapua and it came out okay. Need more practice stuffing and closing, but it realyl helped that my mom used to make manapua and that we have a big aluminum steamer my mom used to use. My friends ask me how I know how to cook and compliment me on my cooking is good, which is cool. I'd like to take some classes one day, to expand my knowledge. I think this weekend I'm going to make a kind of peking duck.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

My knife skills and ability to cook excellent (not humble about this one!) Japanese food come from my Japanese national ex-hubby and his mom. He can clean and filet a fish in no time and she grew up in the old days when everything was made from scratch. She taught me over the course of a more than a decade. I am also pretty good at Korean standards. My personal hobby is bread baking, but I have yet to perfect my French bread. Oh, and I can't forget one of the favorite cuisines of my childhood, Mexican. Ask me about my chile verde!
      Last edited by glossyp; July 3, 2007, 03:47 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I can eat.

Okay, okay, seriously - I have no particular skills (though I do make a mean lasagna), but I've gotten better at seasoning suggestions, when the AF develops new ideas for meals, and we agree it "needs something."

What I've always wanted to learn, however, is how to make cheese. Really.

Comment

I cook a little bit.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            I cook a little bit.
            Me too.heheheh

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have a pretty good ability to make dinner out of practically nothing. I learned it my first year of college when I was living on $600 a month for rent, utilities, school supplies and food. I shopped cheap but I ate well!

I've also been told that I make some awesome eggrolls. I don't know that I particularly do anything special, but I've actually had people fight over them before.
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                I cook a little bit.
                You get paid for it, too.
                Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                Me too.heheheh
                You used to get paid for it, yeah?

I bow to those of you who get pleasure from helping the rest of us enjoy the glories of food.

Comment

I cook every day for my brood. You name it, I've probably cooked it or something similar--broiler, pan, pot, bbq pit. Flora and fauna, I'll make dinner out of it. I do not have the patience or desire to make desserts. I get a kick out of figuring out recipes and trying to recreate some enjoyed dish.

pax

Comment

I have tons of cookbooks. I love to peruse them for recipes, compare different ways of approaching the same dish, slam them all shut and do my version of all that input. Most of the time the gang is pleased. I'm my worst critic. It has taken me years to build the perfect meatloaf. Finally, something so pedestrian no longer eludes me. tonight I'm making parmesan chicken fingers for the kids. Tenders thawed, dipped, tossed and baked. We shall see.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My husband is a chef so all the good stuff comes from him. I'm real good with Mr. Swanson and Mrs. Paul........

Comment

Frozen:
                        chicken breasts
                        salmon
                        gardenburgers
                        shrimp
                        veggies
                        cooked on a George Forman grill or in the nuker...

Deli:
                        cut up, fresh fruit
                        salad
                        rotisserie chicken

All from Costco!

Who the h3!! has time to cook?!

Comment

I love to cook! I can whip up a culinary storm at the drop of a potholder!

One of my special skills is to be able to taste somethng and disect it to know exactly how it is made.

I invent recipes too.

Comment

I'm at the level of still trying to figure out how long to boil my Corn Flakes.
                            On the other hand, when I was a wee munchkin my two older sisters learned how to cook and I was taught how to clean up, so I'm awesome at that part.

And I'm a pretty fair taste-tester, too.

[/subliminal message to LavaGal and her meatloaf]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

WooHOO, I learned a new culinary skill today!
                              For the longest time I wondered why instant coffee was so bad... but today I learned you're supposed to put it in a cup and add hot water!

( Credit: That was in a comic strip in today's Advertiser.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X