Aiptek iCam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiptek iCam

A few responses from the Flip Video thread were talking about the Aiptek iCam so I figured it might be useful to start a thread about this camera.

First of all I am pretty much an Aiptek loyalist to a point. I have purchased at least 5 of their other product types during the last 6 or 7 years. Their stuff has been sort of low cost usually between $70 to $99 when it first comes out and if you wait long enough the price will drop. Sort of rugged (2 of the types actually went up in model rockets) and kind of okay quaility to the cameras and the photos or videos that they took.

Sometimes in a line of their products there are improvements. For instance their DV4100 has some improvements over their DV3100 which was an improvement over their DV camera.

So two months ago I was in Best Buy and I run across the Aiptek iCam for $99. The weird part is that every so often I check the Aiptek web site from time to time to see what new products they have and the iCam was never listed there (comparing features it looks like the ISDV2).

So after checking the specs which boast some improvements and new features over the DV4100 I picked one up.

After a few days of trying it out and even filming a model rocket launch my reaction to the camera is mixed. Sort of have to watch out when setting the camera to 8 MegaPixels, sometimes the images get warped, this usally happens if you are moving like on a car or plane (The warping effect is on the right photo, the grass and the fence looks slanted).

However if I set it to 3 MegaPixels I don't get the warping effect.

The good parts is that when taking a video you can zoom (you couldn't do that on the DV4100), plus the iCam has a flash and a light.
    Attached Files

Re: Aiptek iCam

I have one. I'm still learning about it. One oddity is that it doesn't seem to have a clock. So your photos and video won't be date/time stamped. Not a biggie, but surprising that something so basic is missing.

My plans are to use it for video. It has more then enough resolution for web stuff. I haven't yet connected it to the TV, but what I see so far in the view finder looks OK.

Comment

Re: Aiptek iCam

I forgot to mention about the two photos in my last post, both photos are from the iCam. The one on the left is an aerial shot as the plane was landing towards Amarillo, Texas. The road going left to right is BR. 40, the road going up and down (I think) is F.M. 1912. The group of buildings, cars with the white water tower in the lower left side of the photo is the Tyson Foods plant. The group of buildings on the opposite side of the BR. 40/F.M. 1912 junction is a high school which is the subject of the ground based photo on the right side. I had the impression that the white dome building in that area was a telescope but it seems to be housing a radar.

As far as the lack of the date/time stamp on the Aiptek cameras. That I accept, I never place the stamp on the photo anyway and I tend to origanize my photos on the day I transfer it to the computer.

I never tried to hook up the iCam to a TV or VHS to see what the play back was like. I know the DV3100 will place the running time of the video clip on the screen. I think the DV4100 does this too.

Comment

Working...
      X