Cloverfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Cloverfield' - The Untitled J.J. Abrams Project

The Apple movie trailer site for this movie/project points to a page that shows parts of New York with smoke coming from the buildings in the background and the Statue of Liberty damaged.

The web site that Ryan linked in note #5 (1-18-08.com) adds a snapshot once a week so it's up to 5 photos with random time stamps. Some show photos of the party, some show shots of the aftermath.

Comment

A friend of mine and my husband brought back some posters from the San Diego Comic-Con, and one of the ones he gave us was for the "Cloverfield" project. It shows a decapitated Statue of Liberty in the foreground, with a very damaged NYC skyline in the back.

As for what it's going to be about, the scuttlebutt I'm hearing is that it's going to be something out of Lovecraft, maybe Cthulu.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        The web site that Ryan linked in note #5 (1-18-08.com) adds a snapshot once a week so it's up to 5 photos with random time stamps. Some show photos of the party, some show shots of the aftermath.
        Nothing has been added to the 1-18-08.com website. It still shows the same 5 photos.

Comment

Another photo got added a couple of weeks ago. And there is a way to flip the photos, one has to make a "J" motion on a photo to reveal the back. Two of the photos have text on the back and a third has what I believe Japanese characters.

Comment

1. Network TV has been airing ads for this movie.
            2. A clip of the movie can be seen at this website: http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com. You have to click on "Grab this Widget" to view it.
            3. One of the episodes of Law & Order had a character saying "Cloverfield" and the way he was using the term seemed like it was a street in New York City.

Comment

Hmm. I wonder how New Yorkers are going to react to this.

Still sensitive after 7 years.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: Cloverfield

Saw the 10:40 pm showing of Cloverfield at Ward Theater on Saturday night. It was showing it on one of the big screens there. While I got there just a few minutes before the lights were turned down I did notice that most of the seats in the upper and middle sections were taken so I opted for a seat in the 1st row of the middle section.

At the ticket office when you purchase a ticket they will inform you that the camera moves a lot.

There is no starting credits to the movie other than saying that they found the camera some place in Central Park and something relating to Cloverfield, then a play back of the what is on the camera (it hints it is a tape).

Initially it starts off a few weeks before the main event of the movie. While it does not contain any information of the monster it does tell the tale of Rob who happens to own the camera and Beth.

Then it cuts to a few weeks later where Rob's brother Jason and Jason's girl friend Lily are trying to throw a going away party for Rob who is leaving for Japan the next day. Jason has problems using Rob's camera so he enlist the aid of their friend Hud to operate the camera and to have Hud to record other guest's reactions to Rob leaving. It is Hud who is using the camera for the bulk of the movie.

Hud also manges to record one of the guest named Marlena before the monster starts it's rampage.

In a nutshell the movie is about these 6 people (Rob, Beth, Jason, Lily, Hud and Marlena) during the rampage and what they do.

For me I got mixed feelings about this movie and it has to do with using the point of view shown from a hand held camera. Then again it was a feature of the camera that showed something about the situation that the characters found themselves in.

The movie has some unanwsered questions that sort of begs a sequel which I would see assuming they don't use other peopls camera's point of view to tell the story.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Saw the 10:40 pm showing of Cloverfield at Ward Theater on Saturday night. It was showing it on one of the big screens there. While I got there just a few minutes before the lights were turned down I did notice that most of the seats in the upper and middle sections were taken so I opted for a seat in the 1st row of the middle section.

At the ticket office when you purchase a ticket they will inform you that the camera moves a lot.

There is no starting credits to the movie other than saying that they found the camera some place in Central Park and something relating to Cloverfield, then a play back of the what is on the camera (it hints it is a tape).

Initially it starts off a few weeks before the main event of the movie. While it does not contain any information of the monster it does tell the tale of Rob who happens to own the camera and Beth.

Then it cuts to a few weeks later where Rob's brother Jason and Jason's girl friend Lily are trying to throw a going away party for Rob who is leaving for Japan the next day. Jason has problems using Rob's camera so he enlist the aid of their friend Hud to operate the camera and to have Hud to record other guest's reactions to Rob leaving. It is Hud who is using the camera for the bulk of the movie.

Hud also manges to record one of the guest named Marlena before the monster starts it's rampage.

In a nutshell the movie is about these 6 people (Rob, Beth, Jason, Lily, Hud and Marlena) during the rampage and what they do.

For me I got mixed feelings about this movie and it has to do with using the point of view shown from a hand held camera. Then again it was a feature of the camera that showed something about the situation that the characters found themselves in.

The movie has some unanwsered questions that sort of begs a sequel which I would see assuming they don't use other peopls camera's point of view to tell the story.
                  I read somewhere that it's possible that the sequel would show the same timeframe as the movie but from different people's perspectives. Soldiers maybe?

I didn't see this movie yet, but maybe this was the prequel to LOST or the monster's origins are on the mysterious island from the show and it was a Dharma project at the zoo...boy would that be a tie in!

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                    I didn't see this movie yet, but maybe this was the prequel to LOST or the monster's origins are on the mysterious island from the show and it was a Dharma project at the zoo...boy would that be a tie in!
                    As cool as a "Cloverfield" tie in to "LOST" would be, I'm pretty sure "LOST" would be where the story began. I mean, "LOST" is taking place (so far) in the 2004 to 2005 time frame, and I think "Cloverfield" is also set in its present (as in, today). It would be pretty dang cool if, over the next three seasons of "LOST," we see elements of a monster that is only fully revealed to be the same creature in the series finale.

I'm very curious about this movie, even if it's "Blair Witch" meets "Godzilla." The handheld camera work is going to be an issue for a lot of people. On the other hand, to have a monster/disaster movie told entirely from the point of view of someone who is usually just one of the little faceless ants running away in the million dollar effects shot in other flicks (which usually bring us to the White House or the military command room at some point, where grave declarations are made with melodramatic music).

And the film's construct is timely and relevant both in the 9/11 sense (there's no hesitation to draw the parallels, just as Godzilla was a direct reference on Hiroshima) and in the "kids pointing cameras at everything and themselves these days" sense.

The reviews at "Rotten Tomatoes" are mixed, but mostly positive.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      The handheld camera work is going to be an issue for a lot of people.
                      It definitely is for me. I really wanted to see this movie, but warnings in many of the reviews (and apparently when you buy your ticket) made me decide to wait for the DVD release. I still remember being sick and almost throwing up watching "The Blair Witch Project." I think I actually liked that movie, and I'll problably like "Cloverfield," but it's difficult to remain objective and like something when it's making you want to vomit.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        it's "Blair Witch" meets "Godzilla."
                        Exactly. If you've seen the preview, nothing in the film will surprise you. It's masterfully done, however -- making amazing stuff look like it was filmed "amateurishly." That notion was the genius of "Blair Witch." The style of filming drops the fourth wall.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          but it's difficult to remain objective and like something when it's making you want to vomit.
                          I had a couple of tall glasses of beer and a shot of scotch about a couple of hours before seeing this movie and during the movie I was munching on bananas and a bottle of water and I think what made me uncomfortable was sitting kind of close to the screen.

Comment

We snuck out to see it last night. A fun ride, and definitely a great concept. My wife was more bothered by the handheld camera work than she thought she'd be. But, well, there's still quite a lot to see between blurry pans and shots of feet.

I like that the cast was made up of relative unknowns, to add to the "found footage" feel. Except that everyone on screen was impossibly pretty. It was like a Gap ad in the middle of a horror flick.

I'm actually surprised by how much was shown of the monster... and think the film was more effective early on when you just caught fleeting glimpses. And the ending was a little abrupt, but then again, given the concept, quite fitting.

I couldn't help but wish "Cloverfield" did have a "LOST" link, somewhere deep down... given the fact that the mayhem began with a tanker shipwrecking at the Statue of Liberty, and the constant musing by Hud that maybe it was a government experiment gone wrong. Imagine if the end of "LOST" involved sending an unknown evil off to sea?

Anyway. I agree, this is a new vision for an otherwise well-worn storyline. Given its explicit commentary on the YouTube generation and self-obsessed youth compelled to record and broadcast everything and each other, I don't doubt there's going to be a whole rash of "first-person" movies in just about every genre.
                            Last edited by pzarquon; January 21, 2008, 05:46 AM.

Comment

The ancestor of this style was "84 Charlie MoPic"
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Is the handheld camera work in Cloverfield comparable to what they did with Bourne Ultimatum? Anyone seen both and can advise?
                                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                                X