Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: accents that most irk you

Originally posted by Hot Dog View Post

ALL accents are SUPAH! Da moa' u hea, da mo' u learn! HANA HO!

-Scott-
    hana hou, Scottyman. Hana hou.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
      I think it's really strange when people mispronounce their line of work. Like, I've heard several men say, "I do masonary work". Oh, and I've heard some say, "I'm a realator". Seems to me that if it's their profession, they should know how to say it.
      You just hit one of my irky words! Realtor. We have a real estate appraisal business, and hear that all the time. Realator. You're right, even the realtors say it.
      Aloha,
      Mokihana

Comment

I think it's really strange when people mispronounce their line of work. Like, I've heard several men say, "I do masonary work". Oh, and I've heard some say, "I'm a realator". Seems to me that if it's their profession, they should know how to say it.
        the other one that irks me is "jew-ler-ry."

do any of you notice that a lot of locals add an "h" sound to words that start with "st"? as in:

shhtreet...versus ssstreet

shhtrawberry...ssstrawberry (okay, i just remembered lots of people say "shhtrawbarry")

shhtrange....sstrange.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          as a local born filipina whose parents and grandparents came from the mother country, frank delima's and gregg hammer's versions of the filipino accent is offensive. they're badly done and for me, NOT funny. every time i hear either of them go, "nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..." as a precursor to each sentence, i want to punch em straight in the eye. that's like saying every old japanese man exclaims 'YOOOOOOSH!" every time he opens his mouth.

and frank's filipino christmas song ticks me off, too.

i'm not saying don't use my people's accents in a humorous setting. i'm saying, if you're gonna do an accent and make it such a part of your act that you become known for it, then do the damn accent right.

i just remembered that gregg is part pinoy. if that's the case, then he really has no excuse.
          Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          I'll co-sign this.
          Originally posted by Random View Post
          You should blame his writer, who I believe is filipino.

And because the song offends you, I (a filipino) will dedicate that song to you this Christmas.

Black dog rrroasting on a open pire...

P.S. See, now you made me incite a flamewar. Why must I argue with my own people?
          if i didn't make it clear, it's not the words of that song that irk me so. its his poor, sloppy delivery. listen to how he starts off the song (when he's actually trying, somewhat...i suppose) versus how it degenerates as it goes.

however, now that you have me thinking of the lyrics, i would say they're less than phenomenal. if a filipino wrote it, it's rather disappointing that all s/he did was mishmash some stereotypic images of filipinos with legitimate ilocano words strung in with some faux ilocano words that non-flips would find melodically amusing. there's no real wit there, and really, this person could have done something really cool with this opportunity. the fact is, s/he did not. come on! any dog roasting on a fire (open or not) turns black, macadangdang is a fili last name, and "soyut" is something that vaguely sounds like an actual leafy vegetable. and these are supposed to be funny lyrics? as my grandma would say, "ukim!"

that said, random, i see no flames, nor is there a war, but i'm happy to offer you a glass of danum as a peace offering.

here's a REALLY good song, by a white guy, jimmy da geek (tho i'm sure he had help from some pinoy or pinay). in terms of originality and use of ACTUAL filipino (specifically tagalog) words and with pretty darned good pronunciation versus de lima's pseudo-filipino, as well as actual humor, mr. geek puts frank de lima to shame.

"talk a pinoy," by jimmy da geek

lyrics are available there, too.

also...for family guy fans, here's stewie speaking tagalog.
          Last edited by cynsaligia; September 8, 2007, 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

the other one that irks me is "jew-ler-ry."

do any of you notice that a lot of locals add an "h" sound to words that start with "st"? as in:

shhtreet...versus ssstreet

shhtrawberry...ssstrawberry (okay, i just remembered lots of people say "shhtrawbarry")

shhtrange....sstrange.

I've heard that a lot too. Here on the mainland, if I hear that, I think, "Aha! Local!"
            Aloha,
            Mokihana

Comment

my father, who passed away over 30 years ago, used to say fillum instead of film. I don't know where he got that from.

Comment

my father, who passed away over 30 years ago, used to say fillum instead of film. I don't know where he got that from.
                My father, who passed away over 30 years ago, also used to pronounce film as fillum.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                  My father, who passed away over 30 years ago, also used to pronounce film as fillum.
                  Hey, are you my brother? No, don't answer that... I don't want to know.

Comment

Being raised in the Detroit area, I can relate to Peshkwe. Being so close to Canada, there is definitely an influence. I really have to work at not saying "aye?" at the end of sentences sometimes, lol! Can't say I hear an accent when I speak, but people have said they hear one.

Growing up, we visited my my auntie Dee on weekends, and she was very educated. She loathed for my older brother and I to speak "improperly", so...she charged us a nickel every time we said "huh"? "ain't", or "uh-huh", "huh-uh". I am still indebted to her, and owe her buckets of nickels

My mom was from Arkansas, but had moved "up north" to Michigan, and lived there for 40 years. She worked to lose her southern accent. However, when she was in the presence of her 8 siblings, her accent MORPHED to the south, 40 years prior...and I loved her even more.
                    Last edited by Hope; September 23, 2007, 10:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
                      Being raised in the Detroit area, I can relate to Peshkwe. Being so close to Canada, there is definitely an influence. I really have to work at not saying "aye?" at the end of sentences sometimes, lol! Can't say I hear an accent when I speak, but people have said they hear one.

Growing up, we visited my my auntie Dee on weekends, and she was very educated. She loathed for my older brother and I to speak "improperly", so...she charged us a nickel every time we said "huh"? "ain't", or "uh-huh", "huh-uh". I am still indebted to her, and owe her buckets of nickels

My mom was from Arkansas, but had moved "up north" to Michigan, and lived there for 40 years. She worked to lose her southern accent. However, when she was in the presence of her 8 siblings, her accent MORPHED to the south, 40 years prior...and I loved her even more.

And then....ya get the Yooper accent (we be 'trolls' 'cause we live 'below da bridge')

Like in this trailer:

http://www.escanabathemovie.com/inde...cation=trailer

Heh...my uncle got threatened with a bearwalker once when he went to pick up my cousin. Guy got all territorial when he thought he was there to see Thunder's aunt rather than pick up Thunder.

Comment

Working...
                      X