Free lifetime medical, dental and pension for crooked politicos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free lifetime medical, dental and pension for crooked politicos

Andy Mirikitani, his wife Sharron and Jon Yoshimura will never have to worry about the high cost of healthcare.

Thanks to an archaic "10-year rule," these less-than-cherished figures in Hawaii's political history receive coverage for everything from dentures to dialysis on our dime ... for life. Although this isn't exactly news, I would definitely appreciate some legislation to keep history from repeating itself. How do you feel about this?

By the way, if anyone wants to say anything to the Mirikitanis, I found this nifty comment page on their site. Still NIB. Behave yourselves ... or not.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Free lifetime medical, dental pension for crooked politicos

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Although this isn't exactly news, I would definitely appreciate some legislation to keep history from repeating itself. How do you feel about this?
    My gut reaction is there's bigger fish to fry. This is manini stuff.

The second reaction is ask Diana Hanson(-Young) how long it takes to be gainfully employed after you loose an election. Not even McDonald's would hire her to flip burgers. That's how she ended up being an artist.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      My gut reaction is there's bigger fish to fry. This is manini stuff.

The second reaction is ask Diana Hanson(-Young) how long it takes to be gainfully employed after you loose an election. Not even McDonald's would hire her to flip burgers. That's how she ended up being an artist.
      Manini or not, I actually concur in seeing some revision or legislation to these benefits. It's too excessive.

Comment

What exactly is being suggested? Is the issue of crooked politictions getting benifits, or the 10-year rule itself? To me to crooked politition angle is too narrow. I'd focus on the 10-year rule itself. Because when you multiply it by all the state and city workers, it's no longer manini.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          What exactly is being suggested? Is the issue of crooked politictions getting benifits, or the 10-year rule itself? To me to crooked politition angle is too narrow. I'd focus on the 10-year rule itself. Because when you multiply it by all the state and city workers, it's no longer manini.
          Sorry, should have been a little more specific. I'm referring to the 10-year rule itself. Working just 10 years and getting lifetime benefits is just too easy, not to mention very expensive when you add up the number of state and city workers.

As for corrupt politicians, I would say this gig Yoshimura got should also be looked into. A position that didn't existed was created and there was no form of public announcement of the available job. Pretty dirty I say.

Comment

I'm with you on both counts.

10 years is too short for lifetime - if lifetime should be offered at all. I'd like to know who in the public sector even offers anything after employment anymore?

The problem is paying for benefits of people who are no longer employed by the company (or government) is a serious drain on the budget. That has been part of the movement behind large companies going into bankruptcy to shed this drain. The trend now is that the company will put money into some kind of plan while employed and after employment, it's yours to manage.

Comment

I would love to see the 10-year rule abolished. But good luck getting any impetus behind changing such a broad and long-standing policy on principle alone.

Perhaps the "manini" facet of this issue can provide a handhold the populace can get behind. Outrage can be a powerful tool for change.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I wrote a piece on this a decade ago titled FEEDING AT THE PUBLIC TROUGH.
                Here is a synopsis of the salient points:

The Employee Retirement System (ERS), which applies to all state and county employees, has several different categories of employees with their own rules of eligibility, vesting, and pension benefit schedules.

CIVIL SERVICE:
                non-contributory - 30 years of credited service and age 55, or 10 years service and age 62 for full pension; 1.25% per year of service of annual average of "high-three" compensation; no employee contributions to ERS;
                contributory - 25 years service and age 55, or five years service and age 62 for full pension; 2.0% per year of service of "high three;" 7.8% of salary to ERS for benefits;
                hybrid - offered to post-1986 hires and pre-1987 employees who opted out of the contributory plan; they would contribute to the ERS; non-contributory service at 1.25% per year, 2.0% per year for balance of service

POLICE/FIRE FIGHTERS - 20 years of service; contributory at 12.2% of salary; 2.5% per year of service;

ELECTED OFFICIALS/JUDGES - 10 years of service; no minimum age to collect; 3.5% per year; I don't recall their contribution rate;

The trick was for politicians to "milk" the system by getting a high-paying appointed government position after retiring from the legislature or city council. Initially, the 3.5% rate appplied to the new job as well as the 10-year rule and no-minimum age. There is a cap of 75% of the average of the "high=three."

Among those taking advantage of this situation were former representative Clarice Hashimoto, who landed a $50K/year slot on the Milk Commission. Her projected ERS pension doubled after just three years over that based on her legislative service. Big Island Democrat Jack Suwa left the Legislature in the late '70s for a stint as State Agriculture director and likewise boosted his pension. Congressman Neil Abercrombie has been collecting his ERS pension for years (Legislature and City Council service) along with his Congressional paycheck. Tony Narvaes was classified as a part-timer in his appointed government position to allow him to draw his ERS pension - this was later disallowed as he was upgraded to full-time.

A bill to amend and correct these problems was passed, but only applied to limiting the percentage to 2.0% per year of service against compensation for the non-legislative service.

I had informed Senators Matt Matsunaga and Richard Matsuura of these conditions, but only the limited measure described above ever resulted. Matsunaga left the Senate to run for other offices and Matsuura passed away.
                Last edited by oceanpacific; July 10, 2007, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Re: Free lifetime medical, dental and pension for crooked politicos

Hawaii has been a 1 party town since Kamehameha took over.

That is where these outrageous benefits come from.

Hawaii's State workers were found to enjoy the BEST BENEFITS IN THE NATION. Plenty of articles in the 1990s.

The health care one is great. Even if Mirikatani or any other State employee dies, their spouse gets health care for life. That is even if they didn't work for the state and even if they have some other health care of their own.

Anyway, you all get what you voted for the last 50 years. One party town.

Nothing is going to change when, for instance, I bring up the 1 million thrown at the Plantation Employees who were losing their jobs and people on this board say "manini" or you are "racist".

Then when someone brings up the benefits of politicians, again someone says "manini".

Lots of "manini" add up.

But that's Okay, cuz Hawaiis people enjoy being one of the most taxed group in addition to living in one of the most expensive states in the country.

Localz only brah. Just smoke some Meth and you feel like you in Paradise.

Comment

Working...
                  X