No announcement yet.

What is your "signature" potluck dish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your "signature" potluck dish?

I usually like to bring the tri-tips or deboned chicken thighs marinated in my secret sauce (Aloha BBQ Sauce). For some reason my wife is almost always requested to make her baked beans. She doesn't get it... I guess, being from the mainland, that's like just bringing rice to her...I dunno.

What are you famous for? Do you make something? Do you just buy a tray of something or whatever?

Re: What is your "signature" potluck dish?

My cooking skill is not the best in the world, so I would normally buy for a pot luck. As to a theme, maybe chips, maybe manapua or one time the drinks. It varies.

Comment

My friend often brings his "Easy Shoyu Chicken". Just throw a few (cheap) 5 lbs boxes of thawed out chicken in the pot with with shoyu, pineapple juice, brown sugar, ginger and garlic.

Not necessarily MY signature dish, but I've made and brought Big Island Style Smoked Pork several times to office pot lucks and they got completely wiped out in no time...

Of course, nothing wrong with buying prepared, ready-to-cook stuff (like Lasagna) from Costco or Sam's.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Fudge!!!

Comment

eric is known for his turkey chili, which requires cinnamon, cocoa powder, and a bottle of porter. he found the recipe and was the first to cook it, but since then i am the one who labors over the pot. to be fair, he does help a lot. he comes when i yell, "honey! the beer! time to pour the beer!" (he pops the bottle open and dumps the beer in the pot) and "honey, give me another swig of that beer!" and he "feeds' me beer whilst i cook. ahhh, aren't we disgustingly cute??!!

lately, i've been bringing my turkey taco salad--the not so secret ingredients are a homemade spice mix including chili powder, cumin, cayenne, oregano, and cinnamon. no mccormick's for me!

but people really enjoy my peanut butter marshmallow rice crispy treats with dark cocoa chips and dried cranberries. the not-so-secret ingredient in there is that i replace a couple cups of rice crispies with all bran nuggets. a good number of eric's friends have demanded to know why i've arrived at a gathering without a couple of pans!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I'm the first to grab the paper/plastic goods and drinks.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Zippy's chili.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I usually make my coconut cream pie and sometimes I will make my chicken long rice or mac salad. Speaking of food, lately I've been making spam and teriyaki chicken musubis to bring to golfing. I pass them out to another couple that my husband and I golf with. Its a great snack!
                Lovena

Comment

I have two-either my mac/potato/tuna/peas salad or my version of chili: ground beef/taco bell's taco seasoning mix/hunts or del monte spaghetti sauce/sometimes with van camps kidney beans, sometimes without it...

Comment

it's a cornbread casserole thingy and I usually have to make 2 pans worth. it's like cornbread with whole and cream corn, pepperjack cheese and chiles in the center. It's easy, cheap and sooo goooood.

Comment

Devilled eggs, and I DETEST devilled eggs but for some reason they are always in demand and the first thing to get eaten away!
                      I don't touch em or taste em! *yuck*
                      That and chocolate chip cookies, or snickerdoodles. Generally I make all 3.
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Homemade Chinese noodles with veggies, chicken and char siu or kalbi if it's an entree. Chinese Chicken Salad, or my own invention of curried potatoe salad with imitation crab for side dishes. Made from scatch pineapple upside down cake or macadamia nut pie (made like southern style pecan pie using macadamia nuts instead) if it's for dessert.

Comment

I shoulda named this HT's Virtual Potluck Thread

Re: Deviled Eggs
                          Blue, my wife hates to eat those things too but that's the other thing she makes... my sister gave her a set of these dishes with concave indents to serve deviled eggs so my wife feels obligated to make those things sometimes.

Comment

Portuguese Bean STEW (not soup) taught to me by my late Pocho step-father (he was a cook in the army). So thick that the spoon stands up. Just add more water if you prefer a more soup-like consistency.

One of the secrets: use the more expensive ham SHANKS, not the cheaper ham HOCKS. Shanks are meatier with less gristle.

I start on Thursday afternoons for Saturday UH football tail-gates. Takes a couple days for the flavors to ripen .............

Comment

Bacon-wrapped asparagus.

I don't know why, but people love it.

I'm really particular about the size of asparagus I use. It can't be too skinny or too fat or else it won't cook properly. It usually takes forever for me to leave the Produce section because I inspect each bunch.

Take em home, sprinkle black pepper and olive oil, wrap the bacon, and secure with toothpicks. Really quick cooking them on the grill.
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X