No announcement yet.

What is your "signature" potluck dish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your "signature" potluck dish?

Lumpia (ground pork, ground shrimp, salt, pepper, minced green onion, egg, lumpia wrapper)

Sweet/Sour Sauce (water, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, corn starch)

I tend to be the only Filipino around so I enjoy letting my sadistic side out when someone says "These are delicious, what's in them?" I usually reply with "fish eyes" when they have a mouthfull! LOL.

That or I'm becoming famous for my butternut squash soup.
    -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao
      Lumpia (ground pork, ground shrimp, salt, pepper, minced green onion, egg, lumpia wrapper)
      Seen my fair share of Lumpia at da' potluck. Piles upon piles of Pancit noodles too.

Ever notice when the potluck sign-up sheet goes around, most people signing up for entree put down CHICKEN. Cheap 'das why.

At a couple of office potlucks, the guy in our IT department brought a Weber-roasted PRIME (actually CHOICE) RIB. I mean rib eye, not no chuck roast. Nice.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Haha.. yeah lumpia is such a delicacy here in PA... I'm the only one that brings it They all ask "Are you gonna bring those thingies that look like little eggrolls except better?"
        -kp!

Comment

I usually grab a large pan of chicken chow mein from wherever I can remember has a good version of it.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

My FIL raises pigs and runs the imu all the time. Our freezer is always packed with kalua pig. If I need to bring an entree and I have 1/2 hr to cook it, I make a big pot of kalua pig and cabbage. Never fails to satisfy!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              My FIL raises pigs and runs the imu all the time. Our freezer is always packed with kalua pig. If I need to bring an entree and I have 1/2 hr to cook it, I make a big pot of kalua pig and cabbage. Never fails to satisfy!
              Cabbage: #1 cost-effective way to make a little go a long way. My sister makes a gazillion lumpia wrappers for her kids using just a little ground pork and WHOLE bunch of shredded cabbage. lol

I think I'll put that on the pot luck entree list next time we have one.. Kalua Pig and Cabbage. No can go wrong. Guaranz' crowd pleaser and fairly cheap fo' make. Except my Kalua prolly' going be made either in the oven or on the Weber.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have a few favorites that I use.
                1. I make a tri-colored pasta salad with feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto. It is very rich and quite good.
                2. I also make potato salad which is based on a recipe I got from a family friend. I combine potatoes, brown mustard, boiled eggs, onion, celery, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, dill pickles and their juice. This concoction, when mixed in appropriate quantities yeilds a very tasty potato salad.
                3. I also make smallish cream puffs filled with sweetened whipped cream. I use a basic pata choux recipe for the puff pastry. After filling with a generous dollop of whipped cream, I finish the pastry with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Considering how decadent they appear, they are actually a nice, light dessert.

Comment

Kinda depends on what we sign up for or what someone volunteers us for.

Veggie dish: sauteed asparagus or Texas style cauliflower cole slaw.

Meat: Daddy's World Famous Sweet Sour Hotdogs and Lil Smokies. Wot? It's mostly foah da keiki. I only use premium all beef hotdogs. Not them jelly roll hotdogs. Gramma's Imperial Chicken Wings.

Soup: Daddy's World Famous Portuguese Beanless Soup, Mommy's World Famous Corn Chowder or Seaweed soup.

Casserole type dish: Auntie Gin Gin's More, Cowboy Beans, homemade Zippy's style chili, spaghetti and meat sauce, quick sweet sour spareribs.

Dessert: Cream cheese carrot bundt cake.

Comment

I enjoy bringing my version of House Special Fried Rice. I like to add: peas & carrots, diced onions, shrimp, cha siu pork, and scrambled eggs. Of course I top off with some diced green onions on top and serve with some spicy sciracha hot sauce for the spicy lovers. I put some sho-yu, oyster sauce, a little salt & peppa, and no can forgit some sprinkles of sugah to give a little zing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      I make a big pot of kalua pig and cabbage. Never fails to satisfy!
                      You got me determined on this now Pua'i! So I dug through my freezer, found a bag of my Kalua Pig, busted out that head of cabbage I had a couple of weeks now (and still fresh!), and made this pot of you-know-what for tonight's dinner!...

Photo taken by Pomai 20 minutes ago

Witness the cabbage-to-Kalua Pig ratio. Just right. Seasoned simply with just a dash or two of Shoyu (Aloha brand) and Hawaiian salt.

Not stopping there, I had to add a side dish of steamed Lup Cheong for added "kick" to the rice (and my cardiovascular system) lol....

Photo taken by Pomai 22 minutes ago

A couple Pirie mangoes for dessert and I'm good.

Oh, it's a good sleep tonight.

Which brings to mind, what if you told everyone you're bringing a huge honkin' steamin' pan of Lup Cheong for your pot luck dish. What would everyong think? Who cares. Bust it out with the rice and shoyu and I'm on it!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, looks wonderful! yes, the photography is good but I mean the food. I think my hubby puts more pork, less cabbage, meaning too much. Yours looks like what I've been served at others' homes. Man, when food is good AND healthy........I'm there!
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Gonna have PORTUGUESE BEAN STEW this weekend, so I went to the market to pick up the ingredients: 2.5 lbs. smoked ham shanks; 10 oz. Portuguese sausage; carrots; celery; potatoes. Already have the crushed tomatoes; round onions; bay leaves,; ground cloves; kidney beans; macaroni.

Cooking starts tomorrow afternoon ...............

Comment

I might have to change mine to rafute (Okinawan shoyu pork). Made it for the first time last weekend and it got wiped out!

Pork butts were going for $1.29/lb at Marukai. Pressure cooking time is only one hour for 5lbs. Came out quite tender.
                            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

• Zippy's Chili
                              • Popeye's Chicken
                              • May's hamburger
                              • My own pasta salad
                              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Hoy I borrowed your idea this past weekend! I picked up some asparagus and bacon and did like you said. Winners! Maybe I should buy more than one bundle of asparagus next time tho.
                                Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                                Bacon-wrapped asparagus.

I don't know why, but people love it.

I'm really particular about the size of asparagus I use. It can't be too skinny or too fat or else it won't cook properly. It usually takes forever for me to leave the Produce section because I inspect each bunch.

Take em home, sprinkle black pepper and olive oil, wrap the bacon, and secure with toothpicks. Really quick cooking them on the grill.

Comment

Working...
                                X