Sunrise on Oahu...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunrise on Oahu...

I have an assignment for an upcoming calendar and the minister wanted shots of scenery...I was thinking of a sunrise on Oahu's coast...but as of this time..where does the sun rise these days???? and where is the possible best position to be at....gosh! 4am wakeup call!!! mahalo!

Re: Sunrise on Oahu...

Kane'ohe Bay

ideal call time is 5:30 am to set up your shot.

pax

Comment

If you were around the Ala Moana Shopping Center area, you would look in the direction of UH Manoa to see the sun rise.

Or possibilty the windward side of the island. I don't know if the Pali lookout opens that early.

Comment

Kaneohe Bay, Kailua or Lanikai.

Comment

Lanikai, rising between the Mokulua islands.

Comment

I usually go to Diamond Head lookout to catch a sunrise photo.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Kailua Beach. Dec 06'
              Probably an hour or so after Sunrise.
              Shot with your basic Point and Shoot.
              Mother Nature does all the work.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Then again, there's always sunset on Maui........

Comment

Kaneohe Bay from Kualoa... you could probably get a nice shot of the sun coming over Mokoli'i Island (Chinaman's Hat).

Comment

Somewhere you should be able to find a astronomy site that can tell you at what compass point the sun will come up. That way you can position yourself to a good spot while it's still dark without having to do a dry run the day before. The good part of the sunrise isn't all that long.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Somewhere you should be able to find a astronomy site that can tell you at what compass point the sun will come up. That way you can position yourself to a good spot while it's still dark without having to do a dry run the day before. The good part of the sunrise isn't all that long.
                      Like this one. The azimuth is what you're looking for. The current sunrise azimuth for Honolulu's latitude is 65°, which means 65° east of north (i.e. clockwise).

It'd be nice if you could somehow plug that data into Google Earth so you could see a virtual preview, too. Does anybody here know how to do that?
                      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; July 8, 2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I guess one way would be to move the pointer on the top right corner approx. 65 degrees to the left so that 65 degrees east of north is at the top. That would be somewhere between Kualoa and Kaaawa...I think.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                          I guess one way would be to move the pointer on the top right corner approx. 65 degrees to the left so that 65 degrees east of north is at the top.
                          Sounds like a plan. Except I can't figure out how to turn it to 65 degrees. All I see is a rough indicator. At least it will help you narrow down where you need to be to get things to be where you want them to be.

Edit: I know how to turn it, I can't figure out how to get it to exactly 65 degrees. I see North, East and a 45 degree mark half way in-between. Talk about a lack of precision....
                          Last edited by GeckoGeek; July 8, 2007, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I checked a KML dictionary and found that azimuth is represented by the heading tag. So if you went into Google Earth, saved the location in KML, and then edited the KML file to set the heading to 65, and then re-opened that KML file in Google Earth, I think you'd have it.

[a few minutes later:] Ack! It's actually even easier than that. In Google Earth, once you set your placemark, then Get Info on it, go to the View tab, and edit the Heading value. Done!
                            Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; July 8, 2007, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X