Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do people feel about scooters?

Question How do people feel about scooters?

My husband and I are trying to figure out how we will get around when we are in Honolulu as we are selling our cars before we arrive. He wants to take the bus to U of H and hopefully we can get a place near that bus line.
    I don't really want to lease a car unless my job is a good distance away. How do people feel about scooters? We're reading up on them and they sound interesting, but I'd like some feedback from people who own/have owned a scooter. Or maybe a moped. An easy way to get around that isn't a car
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Default Re: How do people feel about scooters?

I've owned mo-peds and a 150-cc scooter.

Great way to get around... Great parking...

Don't ride them any more simply because I'm deathly afraid of getting rear-ended (drivers here tailgate bikes like there's no tomorrow). And on a bike like that (or any bike, for that matter), getting rear-ended is pretty much the end...

Not worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Don't ride them any more simply because I'm deathly afraid of getting rear-ended (drivers here tailgate bikes like there's no tomorrow).
    Yeah, same thing I said about bikes being tailgated in the thread "LikaNui's New Ride" in this same section of HT.
    Scooters are easy to park and give fantastic gas mileage, but safety is a major concern.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, I don't know that it would be our primary mode of transport, but it would probably be a nice way to get to beaches and nearby hiking trails.
    Of course, it'd be scary...maybe we'll rent one for a weekend when I get out there and test it out, see if we like it.
    I know we'll know more about where we want to live and how we'll get around in a few months
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

I had the same concerns, FF31. I am planning on just seeing how it really is once I arrive on the Island.

I know that on Oahu, moped/scooters are readily available on Craigslist. I was going to get one right off the bat, but I think I will just wait to see first hand if it is going to be worth it, or holding off a bit. I hear the bus system is really goo out there too.

And anything under 50cc requires no M Class license or what have you, though I think you have to still register it. I have my M class, but will hold off on buying a bike till I get a good feel for the island.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

I drove on one from Waikikki beach to Hanauma Bay and back.....yes the people were kind and very considerate, but it scared the holy beegeebeez out of me!
    All that traffic and cars honking....Never again!!! NEVER!
    That was just one day!
    I had all these visions in my head of leisurely scooter rides and the ocean breezes and waves and blue sky.....
    then the bird poop hit my head and the pelting afternoon shower with a tank top on! Shoulder swith little red dots all over! and the Big car behind me urging me to go over the 35MPH sign on the road, catching the man urinating in the park we drove by! ....
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Quote Originally Posted by blueyecicle View Post
    I drove on one from Waikikki beach to Hanauma Bay and back.....yes the people were kind and very considerate, but it scared the holy beegeebeez out of me!
    All that traffic and cars honking....Never again!!! NEVER!
    That was just one day!
    I had all these visions in my head of leisurely scooter rides and the ocean breezes and waves and blue sky.....
    then the bird poop hit my head and the pelting afternoon shower with a tank top on! Shoulder swith little red dots all over! and the Big car behind me urging me to go over the 35MPH sign on the road, catching the man urinating in the park we drove by! ....
    Wow! I keep seeing these websites for scooter adventures in Hawaii when I google for info. These people have no idea what they will be getting into
    If we do get one, at least we'll know what to expect. Like I said, I think we'll rent first to see if that is something we might want to do more than once in our lives.

I ride one everyday for work. My ride is not real long and there's about a 1/8 mile hilly stretch across a bridge where I have to ride on the road. Every so often I get a dumb a-s riding my tail. Drivers, here, are impatient SOBs and will make sure you know about it. Luckily for me, most of the route has a bike lane and the going speed limit is 25mph all the way....I have never seen anyone drive the speed limit. Btw, I'm out in the country so riding conditions are a little different than in town.

If you do go the route of scooters, know that they're easy pickings for thieves. The perps simply carry them away, nevermind that $100 Krypto lock or whatever you invested in. Also, use a helmet. Not the cheap ones. As the salesman so eloquently put it, "If you think your head is worth only $50......" Btw, you will not be alone. There are hundreds if not thousands of scooter riders in Honolulu and outlying burbs.

Get this, if there's road construction and a flagman ahead, pull into traffic and wait your turn. Do not cheat up to the front even if there's a bike lane. The special duty cop will stop you and give you a warning. Mopeds and scoots fall in vast gray area in regards to motorized vehicle/traffic laws and get very little respect. Every officer has his/her own interpretation of any laws regarding scoots and mopeds. In fact, although I can get away with riding in a bike lane out here, a cop might pull you over for doing the same in town.

Another tip. There are 50cc scooters out there that can top 45 mph on the flats. Do some studying of scooter message boards and such to find out what brands can do this without aftermarket modifications or parts. That extra pickup and top end speed will make things much easier. My piece of junk goes 40+.............downhill, 30+ on the flats and 25 or less up hill. Pretty miserable performance, but good enough for my purposes since I can just cruise outside of the faster moving traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyfox31 View Post
    Wow! I keep seeing these websites for scooter adventures in Hawaii when I google for info. These people have no idea what they will be getting into
    If we do get one, at least we'll know what to expect. Like I said, I think we'll rent first to see if that is something we might want to do more than once in our lives.
    Mine was along drive though too! Not a short one like Rolling here! My scooter did about 45 max but that was pushing it!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by blueyecicle View Post
    Mine was along drive though too! Not a short one like Rolling here! My scooter did about 45 max but that was pushing it!
    Downhill run with a good tail wind?

LOL!!!! yes! and you should have seen the SPEED of 20 going up the hill to the BAY to snorkel! I was flying!

You should definitely rent first to gauge your comfort level. Had a 50cc moped back in my UH days. My commute got less hairy after I put some go-fast parts and a bit of sweat into the little Honda. It was good for 70 mph (for passing, of course) and I even used it to spare my car the daily Mililani-to-town grind. And yes, I was mindful to keep quiet in residential areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    In fact, although I can get away with riding in a bike lane out here, a cop might pull you over for doing the same in town.
    The rules may be different for different bike lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Another tip. There are 50cc scooters out there that can top 45 mph on the flats.
    I think legally they can't be licensed as mopeds if they can go that fast. Enforcement is a different issue.

I will stay that many years ago there was a guy in my building who had a motorcycle. Then one day he didn't. When I asked him about it, he said it was too dangerous. Too many times getting cut off and stuff. Not anyone out to get him, just too many people looking only for cars and missing his bike.

I would never ride a scooter/moped back home in Md...the drivers are scary enough when I'm in a car. I'll have to see how Hawaii drivers compare.

What do you guys think? How do hawaii drivers compare with those from other states? I've driven in Miami, New York, D.C., Los Angeles, Md, parts of Virginia, and the big island in HI...I think New York and Miami were the worst. The light isn't even green yet and Miami drivers are honking at you to go
    The most courteous I saw were in St. Maarten. Everyone honks and waves at everyone they know.

Question Re: Price lease midsize sedan type car?

Anyone know the typical price/month to lease a mid-size car (nothing fancy) in Honolulu? We are considering this an option in addition to/instead of a scooter, the bus, or our own two feet.

Anywhere from $169 to $299 a month, depending on the make/model, special offers and whether or not they want a down payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    Anywhere from $169 to $299 a month, depending on the make/model, special offers and whether or not they want a down payment.
    Thanks! This will help us as we figure out our budget and wether or not leasing a car will fit in there.

I only dislike, heck I abhor the ones kids use that are horribly noisey. We live without AC and when one comes around, rarely these days I am glad to say, it can just irritate ya instantly and I don't irritate easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I only dislike, heck I abhor the ones kids use that are horribly noisey. We live without AC and when one comes around, rarely these days I am glad to say, it can just irritate ya instantly and I don't irritate easily.
    I don't think there is any particular make/model that is horribly noisy. Kids tend to mod them which then makes them horrible noisy.

Mopeds are classified as bicycles and as such (last I knew) were restricted to the right edge of the right lane but at the same time are banned from the bicycle lanes. But I don’t see too many moped riders obeying that law.

The “go fast” modifications are basically opening up the air and exhaust passages to allow the engine to breath better. That means bye-bye to the muffler. A few months ago there were a couple of moped accidents that seemed to me were caused by the bike going faster than they were designed for.

If you are going the two wheel route get a real motorcycle, something that will keep up with traffic, it’s much safer.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Post Re: How do people feel about scooters?

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I think legally they can't be licensed as mopeds if they can go that fast. Enforcement is a different issue.
    I’ll see if I can find the specific regulation, GeckoGeek, but I thought the rule was the size of the engine (50cc or smaller), not the speed of the moped. I think at the time, lawmakers just assumed a 50cc engine would never push a moped faster then 35 mph.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

What do you guys think? How do hawaii drivers compare with those from other states? I've driven in Miami, New York, D.C., Los Angeles, Md, parts of Virginia, and the big island in HI...I think New York and Miami were the worst. The light isn't even green yet and Miami drivers are honking at you to go

I have driven in Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa, Atlanta and Bangkok. The worst drivers I have ever seen are right here on good old Oahu. I rode a bicycle all over the city of Chicago with no fear at all. I tried to ride one here and....I'll pass.

I do ride a moped here and it is go-fasted for my own safety. Eyes are wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by 68-eldo View Post
    Mopeds are classified as bicycles and as such (last I knew) were restricted to the right edge of the right lane but at the same time are banned from the bicycle lanes. But I don’t see too many moped riders obeying that law.
    you don't see many moped riders obeying that law because that law doesn't exist. the law, as it applies to every road user, says roughly that any vehicle moving slower than the normal speed of traffic must stay the the endge of the roadway (left and/or right, depending on whether it's a one way or not). the law says nothing about how the vehicle is classified. it speaks only to the vehicle's speed in relation to other road users. so, since most mopeds travel at or around the normal traffic flow, they don't need to stay to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by notahaole View Post
    (...)
    My comment has nothing to do with scooters. I just wanted to say that I find your screen name somewhat offensive, and I hope you show the wisdom to change it.
    That's all.
    Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by notahaole View Post
    you don't see many moped riders obeying that law because that law doesn't exist. the law, as it applies to every road user, says roughly that any vehicle moving slower than the normal speed of traffic must stay the the endge of the roadway (left and/or right, depending on whether it's a one way or not). the law says nothing about how the vehicle is classified. it speaks only to the vehicle's speed in relation to other road users. so, since most mopeds travel at or around the normal traffic flow, they don't need to stay to the right.
    From Hawaii Revised Statues:

§291C-145 Riding on roadways and bikeways. (a) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as near to the right-hand curb, on the edge of the roadway, or on the shoulder off of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; except under any of the following situations:

The complete section can be read here.

It does specify bicycles and mopeds are classified as bicycles.
    Last edited by 68-eldo; September 6th, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast