How do people feel about scooters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do people feel about scooters?

Anywhere from $169 to $299 a month, depending on the make/model, special offers and whether or not they want a down payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      Anywhere from $169 to $299 a month, depending on the make/model, special offers and whether or not they want a down payment.
      Thanks! This will help us as we figure out our budget and wether or not leasing a car will fit in there.
      Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

I only dislike, heck I abhor the ones kids use that are horribly noisey. We live without AC and when one comes around, rarely these days I am glad to say, it can just irritate ya instantly and I don't irritate easily.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          I only dislike, heck I abhor the ones kids use that are horribly noisey. We live without AC and when one comes around, rarely these days I am glad to say, it can just irritate ya instantly and I don't irritate easily.
          I don't think there is any particular make/model that is horribly noisy. Kids tend to mod them which then makes them horrible noisy.

Comment

Mopeds are classified as bicycles and as such (last I knew) were restricted to the right edge of the right lane but at the same time are banned from the bicycle lanes. But I don’t see too many moped riders obeying that law.

The “go fast” modifications are basically opening up the air and exhaust passages to allow the engine to breath better. That means bye-bye to the muffler. A few months ago there were a couple of moped accidents that seemed to me were caused by the bike going faster than they were designed for.

If you are going the two wheel route get a real motorcycle, something that will keep up with traffic, it’s much safer.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              I think legally they can't be licensed as mopeds if they can go that fast. Enforcement is a different issue.
              I’ll see if I can find the specific regulation, GeckoGeek, but I thought the rule was the size of the engine (50cc or smaller), not the speed of the moped. I think at the time, lawmakers just assumed a 50cc engine would never push a moped faster then 35 mph.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

What do you guys think? How do hawaii drivers compare with those from other states? I've driven in Miami, New York, D.C., Los Angeles, Md, parts of Virginia, and the big island in HI...I think New York and Miami were the worst. The light isn't even green yet and Miami drivers are honking at you to go

I have driven in Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa, Atlanta and Bangkok. The worst drivers I have ever seen are right here on good old Oahu. I rode a bicycle all over the city of Chicago with no fear at all. I tried to ride one here and....I'll pass.

I do ride a moped here and it is go-fasted for my own safety. Eyes are wide open.
                You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                  Mopeds are classified as bicycles and as such (last I knew) were restricted to the right edge of the right lane but at the same time are banned from the bicycle lanes. But I don’t see too many moped riders obeying that law.
                  you don't see many moped riders obeying that law because that law doesn't exist. the law, as it applies to every road user, says roughly that any vehicle moving slower than the normal speed of traffic must stay the the endge of the roadway (left and/or right, depending on whether it's a one way or not). the law says nothing about how the vehicle is classified. it speaks only to the vehicle's speed in relation to other road users. so, since most mopeds travel at or around the normal traffic flow, they don't need to stay to the right.

Comment

Originally posted by notahaole View Post
                    (...)
                    My comment has nothing to do with scooters. I just wanted to say that I find your screen name somewhat offensive, and I hope you show the wisdom to change it.
                    That's all.
                    Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by notahaole View Post
                      you don't see many moped riders obeying that law because that law doesn't exist. the law, as it applies to every road user, says roughly that any vehicle moving slower than the normal speed of traffic must stay the the endge of the roadway (left and/or right, depending on whether it's a one way or not). the law says nothing about how the vehicle is classified. it speaks only to the vehicle's speed in relation to other road users. so, since most mopeds travel at or around the normal traffic flow, they don't need to stay to the right.
                      From Hawaii Revised Statues:

§291C-145 Riding on roadways and bikeways. (a) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as near to the right-hand curb, on the edge of the roadway, or on the shoulder off of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; except under any of the following situations:

The complete section can be read here.

It does specify bicycles and mopeds are classified as bicycles.
                      Last edited by 68-eldo; September 6, 2007, 08:24 PM.
                      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                      Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        My comment has nothing to do with scooters. I just wanted to say that I find your screen name somewhat offensive, and I hope you show the wisdom to change it.
                        That's all.
                        Carry on.

And the smoking baby isn't?
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: How do people feel about ethnic insults?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          And the smoking baby isn't?
                          No, it surely isn't, Craig. I've had 100% positive response (until you), and everyone thinks it's a cute avatar.
                          And it obviously is not an ethnic insult. The 'notahaole' screen name clearly is an insult.
                          Apples and oranges, old son.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X