Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFL Bulbs

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Whichever. You have to have voltage to have current. You have have a power source that can supply the needed voltage and current "requested" by the load's impedance. (Sorry, I've seen too many people get wrapped up in that whole thing.)

If you've got a variac that's wired right, you can take up above the AC mains voltage. Another alternative is to see if you can get ahold of Japanese bulbs. They are 100V. A standard dimmer now becomes "dim", "normal" and "bright".
    Not wanting to change the topic of the thread, but I just have to say - one of the reasons I love HT so much is the intellegence of everyone here. This conversation is just one example. But I don't just mean in the technical aspects either. Uh oh - I'm getting verklempt........

Comment

Acousticlady, you got that right, this website, I think represents the best of Hawaii, people that know how to "agree to disagree" when necessary, folks that really know the islands, and care about others. I have learned so much at this place, and had fun & good laughs, too. I hope I am about to learn yet another thing, and it is...

the definition of "verklempt."
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
        Acousticlady, you got that right, this website, I think represents the best of Hawaii, people that know how to "agree to disagree" when necessary, folks that really know the islands, and care about others. I have learned so much at this place, and had fun & good laughs, too. I hope I am about to learn yet another thing, and it is...

the definition of "verklempt."
        It is a take off from a Mike Myers character on Sat. Night Live. It is a Yiddish word meaning "all choked up"

Comment

Ahh, Acousticlady, it is? thanks!

I'm impressed you also knew how to spell it.

Comment

Ahh, Acousticlady, it is? thanks!

I'm impressed you also knew how to spell it.
            yeah - especially since I have so much trouble with English....... but oops, we better get back on topic before we get in trouble

Comment

Oops, my apologies, and back on topic.

Hubby's been tv surfing for maybe the last four hours and I've been ironing, working out and surfing net in that time. I have not heard any of the CFL tv commercials even one time. Hmmm....wonder if they'll be pulling them and redoing, soon.

Comment

[...] I have not heard any of the CFL tv commercials even one time. Hmmm....wonder if they'll be pulling them and redoing, soon.
                Commercials are cycled on and off the air quite often, usually coinciding with a change in product emphasis (eg: McDonalds) or some event (eg: the old Taste of Honolulu). Possibly the CFL spots are taking advantage of the recent global warming/going "green" publicity. Sometimes I know the cycle schedules of local commercials and the reasons behind the cycles. I don't in this case.

Comment

Sue, exactly. We'll see one heavily and then not at all. After posting this here, I saw Jade's on KGMB with the ten PM news.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    in the LED world, this is fast becoming a reality as certain jets already have this feature to help create the varying lighting conditions to simulate day, sunrise, sunset, evening. The new 787 definitely touts this feature.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...k63450-09.html
                    I've always wondered if we could produce a more natural light emitting diode or at least use them in combination to produce a more natural "Incandescent" emission of light.

I have a 96-LED flashlight (what I guess they couldn't fit four more to make it 100). And it produces a white light that is blinding!

BUT like for some, white LEDs produce a spectrum of light that sometimes doesn't seem to illuminate clearly as a single Krypton bulb from a Maglite flashlight. I was thinking of replacing maybe 15 of the white LEDS with the more common Yellow LEDs just to put some warmth into the beam of light.

One thing I noticed about LEDs (at least in the early 70's) was that standard incandescent grain of wheat panel bulbs took as much current as the LEDs did which meant no energy savings on battery consumption. Back in the early 70's when alkaline batteries were in their infancy, building compact portable electronic projects meant using the least power consuming components available. That's why CMOS chips became popular because of their lower power consumption. LEDs however at that time used as much current (amperes) as incandescent bulbs of the same size and lumens.

Plus if you ever put your finger on the backside of an LED those suckers get really hot telling me they use a lot of current.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X