Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFL Bulbs

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm stockpiling incandescents to sell on the black market when the inevitable ban comes. So all you folks who can't stand CFL light give me a call and I'll make you a deal in a few years.
    This is a brilliant (haha!) idea. You think there's enough room in the black market for us both?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
      Sue, I'm sorry if you've misunderstood my posts, in that I am well aware that Jade is just a hired person in the advertisements, I haven't "blamed" her and started my first mention of her with the fact that I respect and actually like her. I've already made complaints elsewhere and contacted KSSK since they play her commercial a lot, and they are the most popular radio station on island, and I actually believe that they care.[...]
      No problem, Karen! Still, you need to complain effectively...and that means directly to the advertiser. That holds true for any product. In your first post you admit to not even knowing the name of the advertiser. It's really necessary to have that knowledge before you start the complaint process.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I couldn't use flourescent tube lighting in my casting studio because of the overall greenish tint that showed on the video! Flourescent lights do give off a very institutional look!

GM...I wasn't aware that CFLs had various color temps available. Thanks for that info.

With the right filters you can filter out that green tint in photo and video shoots.

As for enclosed fixtures I've never had any issues with heat as most incandescent bulbs create way more heat than CFL's. Typically a 60-watt output CFL uses about 17-watts of energy so they run cooler than a comparable 60-watt incandescent bulb.

Regarding the use of CFL's in three way fixtures, I use em all the time. The only issue is that you keep turning the knob on the lamp until it eventually lights up (usually within two clicks)

As for dimmable CFL's. At Home Depot we do sell dimmers that can be used for CFL's that do allow them to be dimmed.

One advantage of using CFL's is that a light fixture has a maximum watt rating for bulbs used. An incandescent bulb using 60-watts of energy put in a fixture rated for 60-watts will produce 60-watts of lighting. However a CFL bulb using 60-watts of energy put in that same fixture will produce 150-watts of lighting. Brighter lighting, better coverage, same fixture, no fire hazzard.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 10, 2007, 05:55 PM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          With the right filters you can filter out that green tint in photo and video shoots.[...]
          Yep! However, it was less expensive to bypass the flourescents and install 3 reflector lights...and to have a gaffer do it for me!!

Comment

Yep! However, it was less expensive to bypass the flourescents and install 3 reflector lights...and to have a gaffer do it for me!!
            How much did you pay the gaffer and was he on the union clock? Filters work better and since in any photo shoot multiple point lighting is always preferred. I can tell how many catch lights a photographer used by counting the light specks in the model's eyes.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              How much did you pay the gaffer and was he on the union clock? Filters work better and since in any photo shoot multiple point lighting is always preferred. I can tell how many catch lights a photographer used by counting the light specks in the model's eyes.
              The reason it was less expensive was 2 fold...
              The reflector lights were very cheap...
              and...
              The gaffer was even cheaper...FREE! Well, we traded services! He wrote a short, indie film that I helped cast!

Comment

Sue, true and if i had just stopped to think about it, I'd have known it is HECO, but then that is not the only effective way to complain. Each station, be it tv or radio has a choice and even a responsibility about whether they carry an advertiser's commercial. I have already effectively....complained to KSSK, and emailed...dang, can't recall who else. Not to worry, as time permits I will complain to HECO, also. I continue to be shocked that it's even an issue, and that there is need for me to complain to them when there clearly is.

Each individual tv and radio station needs to be contacted, as well as HECO, but my life is in overdrive and I get to things when I can, and KSSK was a good place to start, as was HT here because this place is really popular.

That being said, we have more CFLs than I can count in this place, but we already changed out a couple of 3 ways, and have a few fixtures that have the oldies in them. Just last dec. we had this old house totally rewired and every fixture replaced, and sure don't want to blow our new safety theme by misusing CFLs. Point is the current advertising campaign is not being sufficiently handled.
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Karen...check your PMs!

Comment

Sue, will do so, next! Want a laugh at/on me? I read that quickly cuz I am muilti-tasking at my desk here, and I read "check your PMS," LOL. I thought..."gee, how did she know we were just talking about this today?!"

Comment

I clicked thru a few links on heco.com and found this CFL info. It addresses the 3 way, dimmer and air flow issues. I didn't see the breakage/clean up issue mentioned but I also didn't check the entire web site.

In fairness to HECO with regard to their commercials, it would be very difficult to address these issues in a 30 second commercial. Karen, do you have a suggestion on how HECO could incorporate the negatives of CFLs into what needs to be a positive commercial? I'm not asking that question glibly. I'm sincerely interested in learning your ideas.

Comment

Aha! here is a link with both points covered, as well as others and they confirm what I read but now can't find.
                        http://www.aps.com/main/green/choice/choice_4.html
                        Confirms the 3-way problem (sheesh, bad design to allow that). It gives a green light to enclosed fixtures. It also confirms what I said: "avoid installing CFLs on exterior fixtures that have integrated motion sensors or dusk-to-dawn sensors, as their useful lives may be shortened significantly." That's the electronic switching of lights.

Something else is that some appliances expect an ordinary incandescent bulb to draw the very small operating power they need. (Motion detectors and other electronically controlled stuff). Because the CFLs don't behave the same way at low voltages, it may not work right.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        The ones I have are "daylight" bulbs I bought at a Home Depot.
                        Oops. "daylight" is definitely on the blue side of lighting. You want something warmer. Wiki Link

Once enlightened I think you'll like them.

My family has used CFL (well, pre-C FLs) since very early 80s. We did it because the payback was less then a year. Used them ever since.

For those who aren't aware, mercury exposure poses serious health risks, including permanent nerve and kidney damage.
                        I'm doomed. I used to play with it. Rolled it into pretty little balls and that kind of stuff. And <wince> I'm <twitch> perfectly <spaz> normal. I donno. There might be some hazard associated with it, but I have to wonder of much of a real threat it presents. After all, those who do all the warning stand to gain by making a bigger deal of it. </rant>

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm stockpiling incandescents to sell on the black market when the inevitable ban comes.
                        What about oven lights? CFLs in the refrigerator too? Not to mention the appliances (motion detectors) that won't work with CFLs. I know it has been talked about, but I don't think a ban would fly.

GM...I wasn't aware that CFLs had various color temps available. Thanks for that info.
                        There's also CRI (color rendition index). The higher the better. The whole color thing is

Murphy's law: If you're comparing two bulbs, they'll use a different measurements so you can't compare them.

do you have a suggestion on how HECO could incorporate the negatives of CFLs into what needs to be a positive commercial?
                        1) Changing EVERY bulb is downright silly. That's taking a good idea to a bad extreme.

2) Disclaimer: "Not all CFLs are for all applications. Read the labels carefully."

I think that would about cover it.

But some education on color temperatures to help people avoid duplicating scrivener's experience would be a good idea as well. A lot of people cringe at the mention of "fluorescents" and a bad color experience will turn them off completely. (pun intended)

Comment

Well, it only gives the green light to CFLs that are specially made and marked for "enclosed" fixtures. It also insinuates that most aren't and weren't for a long time when it says "an increasing number..."

") Can I put CFL bulbs inside an enclosed fixture?

A) Yes. An increasing number of CFLs can now fit in enclosed fixtures. Be sure to look to the product packaging for an indication that the bulb is appropriate for use in enclosed fixtures."

Sue, HECO could say something like...."CFLs are not always right for every fixture but they bring great rewards to both your pocketbook and the environment when used correctly, so please everyone, do your homework and use them in as many fixtures as possible." Something....like that.

However, their having their spokesperson say "what would happen if..." and then not telling us even half of what could....or would maybe happen, isn't cutting it.
                          Last edited by Karen; July 11, 2007, 01:00 AM.

Comment

In fairness to HECO with regard to their commercials, it would be very difficult to address these issues in a 30 second commercial. Karen, do you have a suggestion on how HECO could incorporate the negatives of CFLs into what needs to be a positive commercial? I'm not asking that question glibly. I'm sincerely interested in learning your ideas.
                            People in advertising (and I know this isn't advertising, but it comes across the same way) don't take seriously the actual meaning of the words they use; they're more concerned about EFFECTS than about MEANING. So they use words like "all" and "always" and "never" and "ever" when they don't really mean that. In the case of PSAs, if they'd be a little more careful with these absolutes, I think they'd communicate their meaning a lot better.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek
                            Oops. "daylight" is definitely on the blue side of lighting. You want something warmer. Wiki Link
                            Well crap. Why the heck do they call it "daylight" if that's not what they mean? I expected bright, noon-day sunshine. That really ticks me off.

A) Yes. An increasing number of CFLs can now fit in enclosed fixtures. Be sure to look to the product packaging for an indication that the bulb is appropriate for use in enclosed fixtures."
                            This is annoying. This makes it sound as if the only limitation was on whether or not the CFLs fit in enclosed fixtures. Is there a hazard or isn't there? Does "appropriate" mean something more than whether or not it fits?
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              Well crap. Why the heck do they call it "daylight" if that's not what they mean? I expected bright, noon-day sunshine. That really ticks me off.
                              You might check what the actual rating of the bulb is. A quick Google suggests that 5500K is exactly what daylight is light. However, I've seen fluorescents as blue as 6500K. Meanwhile, incandescents, which is what you are used to in that spot are around 3400K. Much redder.

Edit: Found a color chart Looks like "daylight" really is daylight. But it is very much on the blue side of what people are conditioned to have in the home at night.
                              Last edited by GeckoGeek; July 11, 2007, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that "don't use CFLs with three-way switches or dimmers" is shorthand for "it won't behave the way you want it to, and the bulb will burn out quicker". It does not mean that doing so poses a danger -- it's not like you'd be creating an electrical fire hazard.

Comment

Working...
                                X