Help for disabled friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help for disabled friend...

Update in this morning's Star-Bulletin. Looks like things are improving.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Today's Star-Bulletin has an update at this link, including:
      Canal House still has just one working elevator, but now it is running on its own, thanks to service company ThyssenKrupp Elevator, said Canal House resident manager Greg Zellner.
      The condominium, which has two elevators, faced major problems last summer when one elevator was out of service for modernization since March and the other one stopped responding.
      For at least a week, condo employees and a service technician had to manually run the elevator 24 hours a day, producing two-hour waits for some residents.
      (...)
      The service company, Hawaii Vertical Transportation, got the elevator running again, but not without an attendant, who continually operated it from the inside for two months.
      Canal House eventually canceled its contract with the company, Zellner said.
      Hawaii Vertical Transportation did not return calls for comment.
      In September, ThyssenKrupp repaired the partially functioning lift.
      "Those guys really saved us here," Zellner said. "It took these guys three days, and the elevator was fixed and up and running by itself."
      For now the condo is working to secure a contract with ThyssenKrupp to complete modernization work on both elevators. Zellner said once the contract is signed, the work will take at least a year to finish.
      (...)
      More at the link above, and mahalo nui to the Star-Bulletin!
      So, it only took the new company three days to fix the one elevator. Interesting.
      I would've liked to learn exactly what is wrong with the other one and why it can't at least be made operable until that "modernization" at least a year from now.
      Still some unanswered questions, and only a semi-acceptable fix so far.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Just spoke with my Canal House friend. She was completely unaware of the projected 1 year time frame to modernize the elevators as there are no notices to that effect posted in the building. My guess is management is waiting until a contract is signed.

She thought she'd told me that the one elevator had been fixed in Sept. That's something I would've remembered and posted here immediately. My post #115 addresses the one, manually operated elevator that broke down. Turns out it was working on it's own until it broke again on Dec. 27. It's operational now but one, working elevator for the entire building just doesn't cut it. Residents continue to miss work and doctor's appointments when that elevator acts up, as it did recently.

Comment

The good news is that the story today is the second followup to the original story. That's three strikes. Canal House management has to realize now that they'll continue to be under the microscope until such time as the problem is totally resolved.
          That should be incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Just spoke with my Canal House friend. She was completely unaware of the projected 1 year time frame to modernize the elevators as there are no notices to that effect posted in the building. My guess is management is waiting until a contract is signed.
            She thought she'd told me that the one elevator had been fixed in Sept. That's something I would've remembered and posted here immediately. My post #115 addresses the one, manually operated elevator that broke down. Turns out it was working on it's own until it broke again on Dec. 27. It's operational now but one, working elevator for the entire building just doesn't cut it. Residents continue to miss work and doctor's appointments when that elevator acts up, as it did recently.
            TutuSue wrote that on January 12. So, more than two months later... any new developments, Tutu?
            (I had to revive this thread, since there were other elevator problem discussions in the Busted Bishop Estate Trustee thread and then it got moved over to the Making A Community Better thread because a pit bull got confused with a bulldog in the trustee thread and wow laulau I stay lost and confused!?! )

Comment

Same ol'...same ol', last I heard. I've been involved in too much death and destruction the past coupla months so haven't stayed on top of the Canal House situation.

It's interesting to experience elevator life on an almost daily basis for now. There are 4 elevators servicing my building and they get glitchy...stopping at unrequested floors, passing requested floors, lengthy waits, yada, yada. Thankfully, not all at once! When one of the 4 is acting up it truly affects the entire building. I can't imagine what it's like to live in a building with only 2 elevators. Or worse...no working elevators.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Same ol'...same ol', last I heard.
                And that was written three months ago so, you know, enquiring minds want to know: any update?
                TIA!

Comment

Last I heard, one elevator is operational. Residents still have to allow time in their schedules to wait for it. I don't know what the projected wait time is for the out of service elevator as my mind has been preoccupied with another condo building!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, TutuSue. As long as at least one elevator is working reliably, the ol' "pitbull" will just stay in standby mode. Please let us know if and when you do hear anything more, and good luck with that other condo mess!

Comment

Elevator Hell seems to be a common occurence here. I experience it on a regular basis at work. I now have a habit of checking whether the elevator floor actually meets the level of the floor I am leaving as I enter the elevator. Yeah, I went flying one day as I mis-stepped and erroneously assumed that the exiting floor was at the same level as the entrance floor.
                      Silly me.
                      Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; June 26, 2008, 11:34 PM. Reason: decided the "pitbull" (LOL) wasn't worth the bandwidth

Comment

Working...
                      X