Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kailua to Punahou School, How long by Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kailua to Punahou School, How long by Car?

I am considering moving to Oahu with my family, and my children might go to Punahou and I just wanted to know if I lived in Kailua or Lanikai what would the commute be like? Does that school have a school bus from that area? Sorry for my ignorance. I am just at the stage where I am still learning about things and Kailua seems like a nice place to live, but just maybe a little far during rush hours? I saw on Google Maps that is only 24 minutes, but maybe that is only in the middle of night with no traffic? Just curious since I have heard a lot of people in Oahu complain about the traffic. Does this part of the island also have traffic or is not too bad in these parts?

Re: Kailua to Punahou School, How long by Car?

My sister does that journey with one of her daughters. I think the poor kid has to get up at five in the morning.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

"Not too bad" is highly relative. Where do you live now, and what are you used to?

Comment

I know someone who lives in Kailua and is a teacher at Punahou and it takes her about an hour each way.

Comment

I heard the traffic is kind of bad on Oahu, so may I ask if anyone can reccommend some places to live that would only be about only 20 minutes from Punahou School. Don't know if I can aford it, but what about Kahala or what about other points passed Kahala that might be more affordable like say Hawaii Kai?

Comment

One of the nicest and most convenient neighborhoods to Punahou would be Manoa. It's a bit chilly up there for my preference, but it is a nice area.

Comment

I'm trying to imagine what a Punahou school bus would be like....
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                Mercedes Minivan Bus? :-)

Anyway, about Manoa, that is super close. Just up the mountain. Do I have any other options?

By the way, I searched for a website that has a map or list of neighborhoods showing approximate commuting times during rush hour, but found nothing. I am just trying to get some understanding about how bad the traffic is and in which directions is better. I suppose anything going into to town from any direction would be bad.

Comment

You may want to consider Kaimuki. I think 20 minutes to Punahou is possible.

Comment

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes as I laugh at this thread.

M. Chao - do you have any idea what the tuition is for Punahou? Depending on the number of children you have, you may want to start looking for a place to live in different neighborhoods than the ones you've mentioned so far. Also, you don't just move here & right off get your kids into Punahou. You apply, kids get tested, you get referrals, interviewed, then you "may" get accepted for next year depending on which classes have openings.

It sounds like you are at least a little familiar with the different areas, but you might want to make a trip over here to check them out yourself before just moving.

Good luck to you with your move!

ps: get used to saying "ON" Oahu, not in Oahu. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      I think my neice takes the yellow public ones. 'The Bus'

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      M. Chao - do you have any idea what the tuition is for Punahou? Depending on the number of children you have, you may want to start looking for a place to live in different neighborhoods than the ones you've mentioned so far. Also, you don't just move here & right off get your kids into Punahou. You apply, kids get tested, you get referrals, interviewed, then you "may" get accepted for next year depending on which classes have openings.
                      Sometimes Punahou gives grants. My sister got one for her daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        I'm wiping the tears from my eyes as I laugh at this thread. M. Chao - do you have any idea what the tuition is for Punahou?
                        The question about a bus sounded a bit naive, but the quip about a Mercedes bus - and his apparent focus on the more expensive neighborhoods - would suggest M. Chao is at least somewhat familiar with the income bracket they require.

I agree, the admission process may be more complex than you'd think, which is a good point. Though I'd bet with a big enough checkbook, wheels could be greased!

Manoa sounds like a good fit. Five minutes from the school. Lots of expensive houses and uptight neighbors, a fine mix of fancy degrees and improbably wealthy ex-hippies. Kailua would be one heck of a haul.

As for a map of neighborhoods, I used to send people to the map search at Rentals Illustrated. Site seems to be down for the moment. Instead, perhaps the map of Honolulu neighborhood boards would help?

Comment

Thanks for all of the help. Sorry for my naive questions. I was just researching online to learn more about where I might want to live in Oahu and Kailua looked more quiet like I like. I will just wait until I visit Oahu later this year to learn more. Thanks again.

As for admissions my 2 kids are not school age yet so it should be easier from the K level right? I hope. One is 3 and the other is only 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Chao View Post
                            [...]As for admissions my 2 kids are not school age yet so it should be easier from the K level right? I hope. One is 3 and the other is only 6 months.
                            Keep in mind that all private schools, including Punahou, will cost even more by the time your children are school age. There tend to be many more applicants than available slots at Punahou. You might want to have a 2nd and 3rd choice in your hip pocket...just in case.

Since Kailua appeals to you, you might want to research Le Jardin Academy. I have friends who send there daughter there and love it. That said, not all private schools are right for all children...Punahou included!

Comment

Originally posted by M.Chao View Post
                              Thanks for all of the help. Sorry for my naive questions. I was just researching online to learn more about where I might want to live in Oahu and Kailua looked more quiet like I like. I will just wait until I visit Oahu later this year to learn more. Thanks again.

As for admissions my 2 kids are not school age yet so it should be easier from the K level right? I hope. One is 3 and the other is only 6 months.
                              I don't think that you can just sign up and pay and go. There's tests ans evaluations and all. And just cause they take one kid in the family doesn't mean they'll take another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X