Costco in Hawai`i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Costco in Hawai`i

Some good points have been made here about Costco's hardball stance on doing business with their suppliers.

The mention of them having zero brand loyalty is a tough one to swallow. There must be some point where customer demand for specific products (as reflected here) would have more leverage than the bottom line: price. Of course, Costco can pass any price increases on to the customers, but they're also driven at keeping their public reputation as the lowest price in town for the highest quality product, which is the core strategy of their business model.

It's a tough business. I'm sure manufacturer reps must cringe at just the thought of walking into Costco's merchandising office. Like going to war.

I've got an aunt in Alaska who used to package and sell smoked salmon at the Anchorage Costco. She too got ousted by a larger supplier who offered them a lower price.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      The mention of them having zero brand loyalty is a tough one to swallow. There must be some point where customer demand for specific products (as reflected here) would have more leverage than the bottom line: price. Of course, Costco can pass any price increases on to the customers, but they're also driven at keeping their public reputation as the lowest price in town for the highest quality product, which is the core strategy of their business model.

It's a tough business. I'm sure manufacturer reps must cringe at just the thought of walking into Costco's merchandising office. Like going to war.
      It pretty much is a battle, the relationship between wholesalers and retailers. Not just at Costco, but any store. If you're a local Kona coffee distributor, you really have to fight for shelf space at Long's or Don Quijote.

But at Costco, the ante is upped. They're not interested in carrying a few boxloads of a certain product just to keep a few customers happy. They're only interested in bringing in pallet loads of product where the sales volume and the profit margin are sufficiently high.

Complain to a manager about the absence of StretchTite plastic wraps, he won't care. (Not that there's much he can do about it.) He'll just tell you to buy the Kirkland brand or whatever else they may be carrying at the moment. It's the nature of their business.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 16, 2007, 12:42 PM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Wait, so costco only has 30lbs of rice? where's the 50lbs or 75lbs?

(that has me thinking, where can you buy the largest amount of something say, rice?)
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

What's the deal with those squishy surfboards at Costco? Are they rideable?
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            I haven't seen the ones at Costco, but I do know I've seen squishy boards at some of the surf shops. Supposed to be safer than fiberglass boards.
            I think they use them on Waikiki Beach to give lessons to beginners, too. The squishy boards are wider and thicker, ergo more stable for the balance-challenged.
            I'd like to try one sometime, just for something different.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
              Wait, so costco only has 30lbs of rice? where's the 50lbs or 75lbs?

(that has me thinking, where can you buy the largest amount of something say, rice?)
              Chinatown, 100 lbs rice.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                I got one for my girls, but we haven't taken it out yet. I don't surf in a kid-friendly spot and I sure don't want to take them to Waikiki. Maybe Cockroach Bay.

I learned on a soft board. A giant Morey surfboard. We used to call it the Maxi Pad.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                  I hear it's even worse at Trader Joe's, though. You never know what'll be on the shelf from week to week.
                  Affirmative. As I as reading your post, I was saying, "man, that's the same way it is at Trader J........." then laughed when I got to the last part of your post. Very annoying when they run out of stuff I like.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I've seen Trader Joe's in California, where stay Hawaii?
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      I've seen Trader Joe's in California, where stay Hawaii?
                      None to be found. They've stated that they aren't interested in moving into Hawai`i. Good news for those of us who raid TJ's for omiyage to take to Hawai`i.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        None to be found. They've stated that they aren't interested in moving into Hawai`i. Good news for those of us who raid TJ's for omiyage to take to Hawai`i.
                        This brings to mind the trend of Hawaii folks bringing back Beef Jerky for Omiyage from Las Vegas, which is explained thoroughly here.

See the 'Omiyage Ideas' Thread for more on that subject.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

My hubby works at Costco here and you are right -- don't get addicted to something that they have this week -- because next week they might not have it anymore!

Prices are 100% what dictates what brands/items they sell -- if they have a good deal on something they'll carry it -- but it may not be that way next week or month.

I know that in order to bear the "Kirkland" label -- the product has to be (according to Costco) at least the same quality as the original product -- hence the virgin olive oil in particular at Costco under the "Kirkland" label is supposed to be excellent -- I use it but I'm not a foodie an wouldn't know the difference! Same with the "Kirkland" label Starbucks coffee -- it is actually roasted by Starbucks, not their beans, but Costco says it is the same quality or better than Starbucks - which they also sell (albeit for a much higher price) -- I've had both and honestly they are pretty darn close to me!

Their marketing strategy is pretty interesting -- also if you notice they move products around the store all the time -- you can't depend on something being in the same location this week as last -- they do this so that the traffic is constantly all over the store, not just in certain sections. It is so frustrating to try to find chips for instance that last week were over by the rice, and this week are over by the bakery! That's just their thing.

Malama Pono,
                          Janet

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/41769131/...rom-food-court

I don't shop at Costco. But when I do go, I go to the food court to buy a piece of pizza.

Comment

My wife shops at the local Costco here in SoCal about once a week. She buys products she uses frequently to justify the bulk packaging - toilet paper for example. We shop at the Cabo San Lucas Costco frequently when we are in the area. The hotdogs are the same price as in the US, but in local currency, 30 pesos.

This may sound weird, but when traveling abroad, we will often stop at a local Costco if convenient. We find it an insightful cultural experience. Many of the items are the same as other Costcos but they also have products specifically for local tastes and preferences. The manager at the Cabo Costco told me that all managers have some flexibility and leeway to specify products that would be in demand for locals. For example:
                              - the Palm Springs store occasionally has Tommy Bahama brand shirts in stock at great prices.
                              - I was in the Kauai'i store a couple of years ago and had to buy some of the Hawai'i-centric merchandise found nowhere else
                              - We prefer the hotdogs at the Cabo store (they never did have polish dogs). Cabo store has sesame seed buns, mayonnaise, and jalapeno peppers as condiments.

All Costco are the same, yet all are different. But in every case, price and quality are king. We purchase a lot of stuff at Costco for home and business and this year we are getting an annual rebate check worth several hundred dollars.
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

wow, $2 slices / $10 pies is damn good, now the court will be a ghost town lol the floor is too slick if wet, I walk around it
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X