Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Costco in Hawai`i

Default Re: Costco in Hawai`i

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    None to be found. They've stated that they aren't interested in moving into Hawai`i. Good news for those of us who raid TJ's for omiyage to take to Hawai`i.
    This brings to mind the trend of Hawaii folks bringing back Beef Jerky for Omiyage from Las Vegas, which is explained thoroughly here.

See the 'Omiyage Ideas' Thread for more on that subject.

Smile Re: Costco in Hawai`i

Aloha from Kaua'i!

My hubby works at Costco here and you are right -- don't get addicted to something that they have this week -- because next week they might not have it anymore!

Prices are 100% what dictates what brands/items they sell -- if they have a good deal on something they'll carry it -- but it may not be that way next week or month.

I know that in order to bear the "Kirkland" label -- the product has to be (according to Costco) at least the same quality as the original product -- hence the virgin olive oil in particular at Costco under the "Kirkland" label is supposed to be excellent -- I use it but I'm not a foodie an wouldn't know the difference! Same with the "Kirkland" label Starbucks coffee -- it is actually roasted by Starbucks, not their beans, but Costco says it is the same quality or better than Starbucks - which they also sell (albeit for a much higher price) -- I've had both and honestly they are pretty darn close to me!

Their marketing strategy is pretty interesting -- also if you notice they move products around the store all the time -- you can't depend on something being in the same location this week as last -- they do this so that the traffic is constantly all over the store, not just in certain sections. It is so frustrating to try to find chips for instance that last week were over by the rice, and this week are over by the bakery! That's just their thing.

Malama Pono,
    Janet

https://www.kitv.com/story/41769131/...rom-food-court

I don't shop at Costco. But when I do go, I go to the food court to buy a piece of pizza.

My wife shops at the local Costco here in SoCal about once a week. She buys products she uses frequently to justify the bulk packaging - toilet paper for example. We shop at the Cabo San Lucas Costco frequently when we are in the area. The hotdogs are the same price as in the US, but in local currency, 30 pesos.

This may sound weird, but when traveling abroad, we will often stop at a local Costco if convenient. We find it an insightful cultural experience. Many of the items are the same as other Costcos but they also have products specifically for local tastes and preferences. The manager at the Cabo Costco told me that all managers have some flexibility and leeway to specify products that would be in demand for locals. For example:
    - the Palm Springs store occasionally has Tommy Bahama brand shirts in stock at great prices.
    - I was in the Kauai'i store a couple of years ago and had to buy some of the Hawai'i-centric merchandise found nowhere else
    - We prefer the hotdogs at the Cabo store (they never did have polish dogs). Cabo store has sesame seed buns, mayonnaise, and jalapeno peppers as condiments.

All Costco are the same, yet all are different. But in every case, price and quality are king. We purchase a lot of stuff at Costco for home and business and this year we are getting an annual rebate check worth several hundred dollars.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

wow, $2 slices / $10 pies is damn good, now the court will be a ghost town lol the floor is too slick if wet, I walk around it

https://www.kitv.com/story/41881977/...back-to-normal

Are they going to have a lottery after they re-stock on toilet paper?

The number and location of stores was a convenience I liked about living on Oahu, for Costco or even Sam's Club. On the Big Island, there's one Costco in Kona, a 2.5 hour drive. I would take my sons and make a day of it, but their favorite restaurant, Red Lobster closed down and the feeling for driving that far just faded away. With current gas prices and time availability, it is not a substantial savings anymore. How times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
    With current gas prices and time availability, it is not a substantial savings anymore. How times have changed.
    With abundant sunshine in 808, you can always put solar panels on your roof, purchase an electric car, and drive anywhere on Big Island for free. Stop whining and bitching, and be proactive. Yes, the times will change and you will be dragged along kicking and screaming.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    With abundant sunshine in 808, you can always put solar panels on your roof, purchase an electric car, and drive anywhere on Big Island for free. Stop whining and bitching, and be proactive. Yes, the times will change and you will be dragged along kicking and screaming.
    From the national aeronautics weather history, have you noticed that the Big Island (Hilo) is considered the wettest city and has the highest consistent rainfall rate in the State? Yes, we do get lots of liquid sunshine, who's complaining? Who's whining? Certainly not me and where did you get that idea from? You see what you want to see and make opinions on your own state of mind. I state my choices in life and it's called complaining? Whether or not I choose to go to Kona or not, that's my choice. My choices have nothing to do with you or anyone on the Forum. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm not asking for your advice on this matter, despite you've gone off the deep end with your advice. Cool it.

I need not and will not explain my decisions, unless asked for. Regarding your response, it doesn't deserve a response but I couldn't help it.

You are under a tremendous misconception my friend. Nothing, absolutely nothing in this world from birth to death is free. The air you breathe and freedoms you live were paid for in blood. Get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
    who's complaining? Who's whining? Certainly not me and where did you get that idea from?
    Read your post in this thread and on others, rail system, homeless for example. I came up with a plan for dealing with the homeless and challenged you to do the same. You came up with nothing. You would rather whine and complain than come up with solutions.
    I'm not asking for your advice on this matter, despite you've gone off the deep end with your advice. Cool it.
    When your choices are a direct threat to my way of life, I will not cool it, despite unsolicited advice. I was not asking for your unsolicited opinion whether I have "gone off the deep end."

You are under a tremendous misconception my friend. Nothing, absolutely nothing in this world from birth to death is free. The air you breathe and freedoms you live were paid for in blood. Get a grip.
    And what branch of the military did you serve in, my friend? Where was your blood shed? Where did you sign up for alternative service to your country? The same as trump did? Yes, I have a firm grip on hypocrites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12