Local Canon camera repair shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Canon camera repair shops?

Does anyone know if these exist anymore? I've got a Canon SD110 Powershot which allows me to play back images on the memory card onto the LCD screen, but when I move to picture-taking mode the LCD monitor goes dark and stays that way.

I have this awful feeling that I may have to ship it to the Mainland for just an estimate, and that the cost of repair at a Canon repair facility in Illinois might exceed the price of a new camera.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Local Canon camera repair shops?

Dunno if you know of our local Canon Facility...they are located on the 2nd floor (above Bankoh) Makai end on the Ala Moana Blvd side of the bldg wich is the BIG BROWN bldg just ewa of Ward Whse (intersection is Ala Moana and Ward Ave). I know they got reps and techs working there and they SPECIALIZE in Canon of course! Parking is either on Queen St or perhaps in the undergrd garage...enter from Queen St. My shooting partner gives his gear to them and sometimes becuz of the complexity of his camera...they end up sending it directly to the corp office in the mainland...jus to be sure! BTW...they are close Sat n Sunday.

Comment

Yep! dang we went through this at the end of last year, and hubby had to mail it to mainland, pay them and they repaired and mailed it back. Before that, he did search this island, thought he found a place once, but I can't remember why they didn't work out. It was a pain in the padded you-know-what.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I searched the Canon USA site for a repair place using a Hawaii Zip Code and got Illinois.

I'll check out the Canon place on Ala Moana and Ward; you don't happen to have a phone number, do you?

The guy who fixed our television today (Peter of United TV -- he's good and he's fast and he's inexpensive) said he'd had a little experience with digital cameras and that they sometimes have capacitors which leak. I'm not quite sure whether he means the protons, electrons and neutrons leak and damage the board or what, but it was interesting to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
          Dunno if you know of our local Canon Facility...they are located on the 2nd floor (above Bankoh) Makai end on the Ala Moana Blvd side of the bldg wich is the BIG BROWN bldg just ewa of Ward Whse (intersection is Ala Moana and Ward Ave). I know they got reps and techs working there and they SPECIALIZE in Canon of course! Parking is either on Queen St or perhaps in the undergrd garage...enter from Queen St. My shooting partner gives his gear to them and sometimes becuz of the complexity of his camera...they end up sending it directly to the corp office in the mainland...jus to be sure! BTW...they are close Sat n Sunday.
          Ask for Pilar. The repairman's name is...oh shoots...it begins with an "R"! <brain burp!> Really nice guy. Ummm...just a minor correction. Queen St. doesn't come into play except for those into a 3 block or so walk! There's private street parking (that'll make sense when you see it!), entrance from Ward Ave. Underground parking is also entered from Ward. The building is bordered by Ala Moana, Ward and Auahi.

I've had a few Canons in the last 10+ years!

Comment

Canon USA Incorporated
            210 Ward Ave Ste 200
            Honolulu, HI
            Phone: (808) 522-5930
            http://honolulu.citysearch.com/profi...orporated.html

Comment

Canon USA Inc
              www.usa.canon.com
              210 Ward Ave # 200
              Honolulu, HI 96814
              (808) 522-5930

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                Does anyone know if these exist anymore? I've got a Canon SD110 Powershot which allows me to play back images on the memory card onto the LCD screen, but when I move to picture-taking mode the LCD monitor goes dark and stays that way.

I have this awful feeling that I may have to ship it to the Mainland for just an estimate, and that the cost of repair at a Canon repair facility in Illinois might exceed the price of a new camera.
                Did you check if the DISPLAY (third button on the bottom) is switched on?
                the DISPlay button turns the color LCD on/off and controls the amount of data displayed on it
                I know this sounds like a "duh" solution, but my girlfriend called me all the way from the mainland recently with the same "problem" when using my camera (also a Canon). Turned out that was the reason (it was switched off). Which CAN BE confusing, because it (the display) works in playback mode, but not in record.

Try switch to record (picture-taking) mode and press the DISP. (display) button. It should toggle through various live display modes (ON), as well as OFF.

If that's not the problem, I'd suspect the charge capacity of the (proprietary) Lithium-Ion battery might be corrupted/retarded of enough voltage to properly power the camera in record mode. Try a freshly-charged, newer NB-3L battery (if you got one, or try borrow).

If it's faulty circuitry or components (perhaps from dropping it or moisture), forget it. Buy a new camera.
                Last edited by Pomai; July 17, 2007, 10:46 PM. Reason: quote
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It could be the dreaded Sony sensor failure. Heat and humidity is listed as contributing to failure. Hawaii has both. The 110 is listed as affected. Good news, free repair or replacement if that's the case.

Comment

With all the replies that u have now...I suggest that you take um to that Auahi St office...let em ck it out and determine then, what happening...fyi, my partner who shoots in my boss's publication...he shoots Canon (either Mark 2 or one of those bodies that costs big $$$$) and he relies on the local Canon office to send it out rather than he do it cuz it may end up getting lost or neglected....meaning if u sent it out, priority placement will take longer than IF you let the office handle the priority (something like if you work for the media and of course..media ALWAYS gets HI priority over reg consumers). FYI....I am in a worse position..why? I shoot with Nikon ONLY! unless...I won a Canon Package...5D or Mark 11...

Comment

my recent trip to the canon shop (auahi) was probably the best repair experience i've ever had. i phoned in about a G2 and they gave me a quote over the phone just by verbal description. when i brought it in they also suggested i check out canon's upgrade program. although it didn't suit my needs, i checked it out and it was good to know it was there. i think they do an online quote thing too, but you deal with mainland canon directly, i think.

anyway, a week or so later my dead G2 was back to life and good as new after being sent to the mainland. the cost was even less than the upgrade offer for an sd 550 for $175.

friendly people made it even better. btw, i don't work there either. just coincidence you'd post about canon though. good luck.
                      Always check and double check

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        It could be the dreaded Sony sensor failure. Heat and humidity is listed as contributing to failure. Hawaii has both. The 110 is listed as affected. Good news, free repair or replacement if that's the case.
                        One of the samples on that page is very similar to what I've experienced.

I've cycled the DISP button a few times. I do have a replacement battery, so I can try that, too. This first happened with the first picture I tried to take after recharging the existing battery.

I had no idea Canon was in that building. I've been in there about 1000 times.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I kinda hope it's the sensor problem, because that would seem to solve this in the least expensive way.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                          The guy who fixed our television today (Peter of United TV -- he's good and he's fast and he's inexpensive) said he'd had a little experience with digital cameras and that they sometimes have capacitors which leak. I'm not quite sure whether he means the protons, electrons and neutrons leak and damage the board or what, but it was interesting to hear it.
                          Inside a capacitor there is a non-conducting material, be it a fluid, a paste or air. It's that material that leaks and when it does the capacitor no longer functions properly.

Comment

My Canon mini-DV digital camcorder went out on me several years ago. Canon took a look at it and informed me that there was a known problem because of the humidity in tropical climates. The part was changed FREE OF CHARGE with a newer replacement part even though the camcorder was out of warranty! The camcorder has been functioning perfectly ever since.

This is top-notch service at its best. Canon gets my future business.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                              My Canon mini-DV digital camcorder went out on me several years ago. Canon took a look at it and informed me that there was a known problem because of the humidity in tropical climates. The part was changed FREE OF CHARGE with a newer replacement part even though the camcorder was out of warranty! The camcorder has been functioning perfectly ever since.

This is top-notch service at its best. Canon gets my future business.
                              I had the exact, same experience. I fully expected to pay for a repair and was surprised when I didn't have to. I wouldn't have known had Canon not told me. Honesty+great customer service.

Comment

Working...
                              X