PC reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC reboots

Okay I'm stumped. I'm working on a computer that will reboot when you try to do a disk cleanup whether in normal or safe mode.

1. Reseated and cleaned all components...everything.
    2. Unplugged everything except PSU, memory and hard drive.
    3. Replaced PSU, hard drive, memory, CMOS battery even reset the BIOS.

I've eliminated all PCI and AGP graphics cards, memory, power supply, IDE optical and floppy drives and cables as possible back door culprits.

I've reset the BIOS.

Still the computer reboots when trying to do a disk clean up.

At first I thought it was a hardware malfunction but it runs XP fine even plays DVDs and allows you to search the internet with Firefox. No driver conflicts.

Then I figured virus so I installed another hard drive with XP pre-loaded and this MSI motherboard's BIOS accepted it and booted up to the Desktop. Same thing when trying to do a Disk Clean up.

Memory? Changed that out and same problem.

PSU? Changed that out and same problem.

I'm beginning to believe the problem is in the motherboard or the CPU. If that is the case then it's not worth repairing this five year old computer.

AVG and Ad-Aware didn't find anything.

Anyone else had this problem?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: PC reboots

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Still the computer reboots when trying to do a disk clean up.

Then I figured virus so I installed another hard drive with XP pre-loaded and this MSI motherboard's BIOS accepted it and booted up to the Desktop. Same thing when trying to do a Disk Clean up.
    I take it you are trying to do a disk clean up on the disk itself and not some other disk?

For instance you have disk#1 and you try to run disk clean up on disk#1. You take out disk#1 and put into it's place disk#2 and then you run disk clean up on disk#2 and you still have the computer rebooting on you?

By any chance did you try having disk#1 and disk#2 on the same computer, having disk#1 being the place where windows starts of from and then attempting to run a disk clean up on disk#2?

Anyone else had this problem?
    Not really since I don't run disk clean up on my system.

Comment

So you've changed the hard drive and reloaded XP? I have had a case with a corrupted image wouldn't let me do diskchecking. Not sure what happened, but everything runs OK otherwise.

Because it's a bad image, I've got multiple computers with that problem. Won't reboot, but just won't do it.

Comment

Sounds like a gopher of a problem.
        Have you tried deleting (in safe mode) the folders WER1.tmp.dir00, Temp in Local Settings, Temporary Internet Files and everything in c:\windows\minidump then doing a chkdsk /f and rebooting?
        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Helen to answer your question, this rig has just a single hard drive.

I removed that hard drive and plugged in my test hard drive pre-loaded with XP. This is a clean OS.

As for deleting files in safe mode, I'd have done that except for the fact that I'm having the same problem using another hard drive with another version of XP pre-loaded. This isn't even an image of the OS from this computer.

Comment

Helen to answer your question, this rig has just a single hard drive.

I removed that hard drive and plugged in my test hard drive pre-loaded with XP. This is a clean OS.
            So what happens when your test hard drive is used with this computer? Does this setup also reboots the computer when your test hard drive is attempting to do a hard disk cleanup on your test hard drive?

Comment

Craig, try replacing the IDE cable between the mobo and the hard drive.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

When I used another hard drive with another XP OS it does the same thing. And I have replaced the IDE cables (All of them).

Comment

What happens if you use one of the hard drives on a different motherboard? (Do you have another motherboard of the same type?) Perhaps it's a defective driver that's getting loaded to work that motherboard.

You might check the properties of the disk controller or drive and see if there are any advanced features you can turn off.

Can you check a partition that is NOT the OS partition? How is it going about checking the OS partition? Most of the machines I work on tell me they can't do it but will set a flag so it will do it in a DOS window on reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    What happens if you use one of the hard drives on a different motherboard? (Do you have another motherboard of the same type?) Perhaps it's a defective driver that's getting loaded to work that motherboard.

You might check the properties of the disk controller or drive and see if there are any advanced features you can turn off.

Can you check a partition that is NOT the OS partition? How is it going about checking the OS partition? Most of the machines I work on tell me they can't do it but will set a flag so it will do it in a DOS window on reboot.
                    I'm thinking IDE controller as well. I may have to consider using a PCI IDE controller card. Problem is I don't have a PCI IDE controller card to attempt troubleshooting any further.

As for advanced features on the drives, I've tried setting the hard drive to Cable Select as opposed to Master. Happens in either case.

I ruled out the hard drives as a transplanted HD reacts the same way even when running a distinctly different OS.

Comment

What about if you check a non-OS partition? Just as a test? Is it doing the check during reboot, or is it trying to check the OS partition "live"?

Comment

I can try creating another partition and attempting to read that but how will that be different than simply using another hard drive?

Other than the disk clean up utility, the unit runs fine, only when attempting to run this utility will the computer reboot. And remember two different hard drives, two different operating systems, same motherboard, same problems.

I'm suspecting the motherboard but why the problem only when attempting a disk clean up?

Comment

Oh, Disk Cleanup. I was thinking Defrag. I've never used cleanup. When I first tried to use it, it wasted an incredible amount of time trying to figure out if I'd save space by compressing my drive. To hell with that! I can manually clear the temp files and empty the recycle bin faster.

If I need to clean up, I use CCleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            Oh, Disk Cleanup. I was thinking Defrag. I've never used cleanup. When I first tried to use it, it wasted an incredible amount of time trying to figure out if I'd save space by compressing my drive. To hell with that! I can manually clear the temp files and empty the recycle bin faster.

If I need to clean up, I use CCleaner.

Be careful with CCleaner. That utility can actually clean out corrupted .dll files. Once these files are removed your computer may have boot issues, runtime errors or the dreaded BSOD.

Comment

Be careful with CCleaner. That utility can actually clean out corrupted .dll files. Once these files are removed your computer may have boot issues, runtime errors or the dreaded BSOD.
                              That is very odd, I've never had any issues with Crap Cleaner.Its my money in the bank computer cleaner program.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X