Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC reboots

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    That is very odd, I've never had any issues with Crap Cleaner.Its my money in the bank computer cleaner program.
    I tend to go in under the hood and clean up the garbage myself. I use disk cleanup as a preliminary cleaning tool then get in there thru Explorer and clean up as necessary.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      I tend to go in under the hood and clean up the garbage myself. I use disk cleanup as a preliminary cleaning tool then get in there thru Explorer and clean up as necessary.
      I try out a lot of software, so I use CCleaner and a bunch of registry cleaners. Never once have I run into a problem with it messing up the computer.Actually
      thats not really accurate. There was a registry program I used in the past, it mucked up my add/remove applet (Where you add/remove Windows components).
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Be careful with CCleaner. That utility can actually clean out corrupted .dll files. Once these files are removed your computer may have boot issues, runtime errors or the dreaded BSOD.
        Which part of CCleaner? I've never had a problem, and if the DLLs are corrupted, then something needs to be done anyway. What exactly happened? I think it cleans the precache, and certainly the temp files, but I don't see why that should cause a problem.

Comment

Do you mean the prefetch folder in Windows System 32?

Yes I agree that corrupt dll files need to be cleaned out however by removing even corrupt dll files, you remove dll files period. These files are necessary to run the OS.

I've installed these registry cleaners in computers owned by people who don't know the difference between a dll file or spyware and they remove everything leaving the OS without the ability to boot up to the desktop.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've installed these registry cleaners in computers owned by people who don't know the difference between a dll file or spyware and they remove everything leaving the OS without the ability to boot up to the desktop.
            I'd like to see how they do that. When I use CCleaner, I just click, click, click the defaults. I've never seen a dangerous option. Maybe the uninstaller, but that shouldn't uninstall Windows.

Of course the best part of giving advice on-line is if they really hose their machine, they can't come back and complain.

Comment

I've had lots of success with CrapCleaner as well, but when I want to "go deeper"...cleaning more of the registry than Crap Cleaner can handle, I use jv16 powertools 2007, by Macecraft. Its a very small, free 15 day eval download, but gives you the opportunity to really clean the registry! It will always give you the opportunity to backup the registry before you do anything potentially destructive. The Registry Cleaner part of the Power tools bundle can be had by itself as well. Handy program!

Whatever you use, make sure to make a backup of the registry before you use it. Even Crapcleaner gives you a backup option before it makes any changes.

jock

Comment

Working...
              X