Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women in a man's world - What are your views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women in a man's world - What are your views?

Ocean, beautifully said! amen~ *(if that could be worded a bit shorter it'd make one heckuva tshirt and bumper sticker)
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

How 'bout this way that I've looked at the world...

TRUTH IS...

People fight against growth and change
      But holding selves down seems so strange
      Must take our thoughts and rearrange
      Saddle that horse and ride the range

Men act so proud and stay the same
      Hiding behind fear and our shame
      While finding someone else to blame
      Violence or boredom is our fame

Then women on the other hand
      Just want to control all the land
      Seeking security that's bland
      Forgetting about what God planned

Truth is life's an adventure
      Not easy and sometimes unsure
      While certain follies do allure
      Doing rightly is the cure

Author: Jeff Ruddy aka.-Menehune Man
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Feminism was about equality and not homogeneity. There has been parity afforded because of the movement; FMLA on the fed level comes off the top of my head. Advancing father's rights towards parity for child custody issues in the courts is another.

Unfortunately, and as evidenced on this thread already, it is still the "F" word.

pax

Comment

We talk a lot about this subject in my English classes when we do our poetry unit. I introduce Sharon Olds's poem, "The One Girl at the Boys' Party," and the initial reactions are all about pedophilia (teens are still working out how one can notice someone's body without actually LUSTING for that body), but then we start talking about "the boys' party" and what that means, and why the poet uses all that math language. With a little bit of prompting, the students do a great job of coming up with a list of things in their own lives that are "the boys' party." My school has a boy-girl ratio of about 7 or 8 to 1, so it's always fun to give the girls the first shot at what they think the boys' party could be.

Check out the poem. Pua`i, I think, will especially appreciate it, since she's so into math!
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

uh, I need a little bit of prompting myself.

What is it that I am supposed to focus upon? What they are doing at the boy's party? They are at a swimming pool and she is getting ready to take a dive, doing the math in her head, fixating on how deep she will likely delve. And someone most likely bought her an ugly swimsuit.

==========
            edited because I just googled the poem. All I can say is, "hah?" She is going to get lose her virginity or get pg at a pool party?

==========
            now I read it again (damned details...gets every time!) *she* is the one looking at those boys and thinking feral thoughts after thinking about how deep to dive.
            Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; July 24, 2007, 05:39 PM.

pax

Comment

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=418_1185239811

The video above is a perfect example.

Big bad male acts up like he's the man.

Then the females with the kids on their backs take control.

Wonder when the next time that male Gorilla gets any, uh...., attention? Something tells me it'll be a while. Maybe after he brings home a few thousand more banana bunches.

I told you guyz. Women rule the world, just look at the monkeys.

Comment

hmm...you think it's easy defending yourself with your kid on your back when your husband comes around and starts sh*t, by pushing you and the kid down?? Self-defense ain't ruling the world...

pax

Comment

And this is where the gender clash lies...

Males should never be pushy, bossy or scary towards their mates ever.
                  Domestic abuse, be it physical, verbal or emotional is a terrible way to live.

Now say there's an issue within the household, where the male and female disagree on how to handle the situation. The male states his case with as much logic as he can muster and she replies with something along the lines of "Don't waste your energy."
                  Meaning that she's going to do whatever against his wishes right.

This only leaves the male with two choices...
                  Give up and go along with her suggestion though he feels it won't work.
                  Or give up big time and leave her.

No matter what she's hurt him by disrespect, even though she may still love him, just wants her way.

He's lost, whatever he chooses to do and may even go to jail if he trys to "force" his way.

imo
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When I was in high school, my ambition was to join the Navy & become the first female to be stationed on a ship. Well, someone beat me to that goal so I went into accounting instead.

Back in 1970, I was a brand new single parent, trying to make my way and support my child & myself. I had been fortunate to be able to stay home the first couple of years but found myself itching to go back to work & bring home a paycheck so that I didn't have to put up with questions from my husband such as "why do you need 2 tubes of lipstick?". and no, that situation didn't lead to divorce.

When I started on a new job shortly after my divorce (leading financial institution here in Honolulu), I was of course interested in my benefits. I was told that only the male employees had their medical insurance paid for by the company because they were the heads of household. I was shocked because I too was a "head of household". But no, I was told I would have to pay to have my child covered.

That situation didn't last very long. I convinced the company that it was wrong to differentiate between male/female employees when it came to matters of who was a head of household. After a few months, the company changed their policy & I like to think I had something to do with that.

THAT is fighting for EQUALITY. That is what Feminism is about. It's not to make women the same as men - that is impossible and personally, I wouldn't want to be considered the "same as" a man. I have fought hard to gain the same RIGHTS as men as far as equal pay for equal work, reproductive rights, educational equality (think Patsy Mink & Title IX). I speak up when I see inequities towards women.

I'm proud to call myself a Feminist. and I don't think some of you females on here have a clue what it means. and I wish you could understand that women today have the rights they do because of women like myself and so many others that came before all of us. Women who stood up to the system & the old boys network and INSISTED on being seen, being heard and being respected. Women who refused to give up and refused to be beaten down any longer.

Sorry, this was way too long but this is an issue I am very passionate about.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Menhune Man, your post just reminded me that in all fairness to men, we need to remember that women can be abusers, too. They can mentally/emotionally torment a man into leaving, and/or into a crazed fit. It isn't only men that do the abusing, and I wonder if along with the move for equality if more women have become abusive.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

THANK YOU, ANAPUNI!!!

last night, as i read the posts on this thread, i got really annoyed at the "feminism of convenience" that women here have displayed. you know--the kind where you proclaim you're the true head of your family, that men have screwed things up for the world and it's time for women to come to the forefront, but then say that they can't ever accept a woman as a boss or a woman as POTUS. such women put women's collective achievements and progress further back than pat robertson and rush limbaugh combined. they're like condi rice is in the bush administration--despite whatever real accomplishments they may have, they're relegated to being mouthpieces for the real power, and accept, like starving dogs, scraps versus what they truly deserve.

every great social movement have their radicals who are distasteful to the majority, and feminism is no exception.

auntie lynn, you ARE a feminist, and you should be unwaveringly proud of it. consider:

Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its
                        battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions.. for safety on the streets... for child care, for social welfare...for rape crisis
                        centers, women's refuges, reforms in the law." (If someone says) 'Oh, I'm not a feminist,' (I ask) 'Why? What's your problem?'
                        - Dale Spender, author of For the Record: The Making & Meaning of Feminist Knowledge, 1985

A feminist is a person who answers "yes" to the question, "Are women human?" Feminism is not about whether women are better than, worse than or identical with men. And it's certainly not about trading personal liberty--abortion, divorce, sexual self-expression--for social protection as wives and mothers, as pro-life feminists propose. It's about justice, fairness, and access to the broad range of human experience. It's about women consulting their own well-being and being judged as individuals rather than as members of a class with one personality, one social function, one road to happiness. It's about women having intrinsic value as persons rather than contingent value as a means to an end for others: fetuses, children, the "family," men.
                        --Katha Pollitt.

Feminism is the single most powerful social movement of our time, one that addresses every aspect of human and social life.- Richard Epstein, author of Bargaining With the State, 1993

i did forget to say one thing: thank you to all the women who came before me. so many of you have paved a long, hard road so that many of my generation cannot even fathom there was a time where we couldn't wear pants (literally and figuratively), couldn't decide anything about our bodies without the permission of our fathers, brothers, or husbands, and were little more than property or vessels for future sons.

a little something from erma bombeck, which some may find ironic, given the kind of prose she was famous for:

We've got a generation now who were born with semiequality. They don't know how it was before, so they think, this isn't too bad. We're working. We have our attache' cases and our three piece suits. I get very disgusted with the younger generation of women. We had a torch to pass, and they are just sitting there. They don't realize it can be taken away. Things are going to have to get worse before they join in fighting the battle.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                          auntie lynn, you ARE a feminist, and you should be unwaveringly proud of it. consider:
                          I am not a MAN HATER! I am a STRONG WAHINE!!!!
                          (google feminist hate men?)

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            I am not a MAN HATER! I am a STRONG WAHINE!!!!
                            Yes, you are VERY strong - the actions of your life continue to prove that. But you are misled if you equate "feminism" with "man hating."
                            Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            That is what Feminism is about. It's not to make women the same as men - that is impossible and personally, I wouldn't want to be considered the "same as" a man. I have fought hard to gain the same RIGHTS as men as far as equal pay for equal work, reproductive rights, educational equality (think Patsy Mink & Title IX). I speak up when I see inequities towards women.
                            Amen, Fran. Perfectly summed up (especially the part highlighted.) Many rights have been won - but many battles remain, often due to misunderstanding of purpose. I recall having a discussion on abortion when my daughter was a teenager, and helping her to understand that being pro-choice was not the same as being pro-abortion.
                            Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            I'm proud to call myself a Feminist.
                            As am I.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Yes, you are VERY strong - the actions of your life continue to prove that. But you are misled if you equate "feminism" with "man hating."
                              K-den. In dat case...I am Feminist!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                                K-den. In dat case...I am Feminist!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                                Good morning, Lynn!

The things you've described when sharing with us about your life (past and present) show repeatedly that you will fight to make things right, for yourself, for your `ohana, for others you see as being oppressed. Some of your behaviors could be described as "feminist," some as "Christian," some by a number of other labels.

You don't have to wear the labels others create, if you don't want to. But it doesn't hurt to get clearer definitions of said labels before deciding whether to use them or not, for yourself or others. Maybe you and Fran should schedule a lunch-time discussion of your own understandings of what feminism is? Good excuse as any to get together for ono grindz!

Comment

Working...
                                X