• Show
Clear All

• No more soda for youse!

Bad, bad, bad!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...290179/1/.html
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Re: No more soda for youse!

Sigh, darnit! I want to comment before clicking on the links and then maybe later, after other posts I'll be back and comment on them. the reason is so what I say won't be biased by what I just learned.

I know sodas are not good for us. There's something in them, gotta go read a coke can, brb. LOL....aha! Phosphorous, which is natural but too much of it can and does leech calcium from our bones and bodies, and I'm 50, having to care a lot about bone density.

Then there's too much sugar, or the substitute sweeteners and the most popular is the worst for us, and dayum our govt. for not protecting us from aspartame, and those pretty little blue packets of a brand called equal.

Now, at a time in my life that I have been making myself have only one soda a week, approx....Pepsi went and did it! LOL they made the absolute best tasting soda, to me of course that's ever existed! This is what they call Jazz, and it comes in caramel and cream flavor, my fav. is strawberries and cream, and there's black cherry, I think it is, and cream. They have a diet version and it's really a treat of a soda, but the artificial sweetener, if I recall, is the worst of what's available. Sigh.....
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I don't think drinking one soda a week is going to kill you. It's when you start drinking it like 3 to 5 times a day (which is what I do).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        It's when you start drinking it like 3 to 5 times a day (which is what I do).
        Helen, when's the last time you got tested for diabetes/hypoglycemia?

Comment

I don't think that's an appropriate question in a public forum.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            I don't think that's an appropriate question in a public forum.
            Nobody says that the question has to be answered, but it may be a public service to get people thinking about that very question.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
              I know sodas are not good for us. There's something in them, gotta go read a coke can, brb. LOL....aha! Phosphorous, which is natural but too much of it can and does leech calcium from our bones and bodies, and I'm 50, having to care a lot about bone density.
              Unfortunately, ALL carbonated beverages contain phosphorous (that's what makes it fizzy), and that's the main reason why I like it. But I know that my last bloodwork showed that my calcium levels were depleted, so I've been trying to lay off the fizzy stuff. I've started drinking Crystal Light to Go (just add a packet to water) so at least the water is flavored, but I miss the bubbles!

There's one other ingredient in some soft drinks that is bad for people who take some types of medication (like the ones for high blood cholesterol). If you're taking any pills that have a warning about eating grapefruit products, you should steer clear of any soft drinks that might have grapefruit extract in them in the form of citric acid.

"Living is hazardous to your health..."

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

No artificial sweetener for me....my throat swells like a balloon!
                Good thing or a bad thing???
                I guess good since BOTH types of soda are bad for you even the DIET!

I love my Dr. Pepper but like everything else in life, moderately. 1 can every couple days.

But I am not one to tell people what and how to drink, that just works for me.
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Miulang, LOL it sure is....we be brave, huh?
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I had a Coke while camping this weekend. Left my teeth feeling fuzzy and dirty. Do people like this crap?
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Mmmm, love that phosphoric acid.

Comment

Am I mistaken for thinking that because I stick to diet pepsi, diet coke or just plain ole seltzer, that I'm not at risk? I have osteoporosis-my hip burns after cardio class-is this what is doing it?

We do not let our kids drink regular soda; they can drink diet as long as it has no caffeine; but we do like to keep them on H2O and/or milk. I drink a lot of tea with lemon myself, hot, with splenda.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          Am I mistaken for thinking that because I stick to diet pepsi, diet coke or just plain ole seltzer, that I'm not at risk? I have osteoporosis-my hip burns after cardio class-is this what is doing it?

We do not let our kids drink regular soda; they can drink diet as long as it has no caffeine; but we do like to keep them on H2O and/or milk. I drink a lot of tea with lemon myself, hot, with splenda.
                          It says in the news article that diet soda is JUST as bad as regular soda.
                          Makes you think, maybe diet isn't the way to go.
                          http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...-top-headlines

Drinking as little as one can of soda per day -- either regular or diet -- is associated with a 48 percent increased risk of "metabolic syndrome," a key predecessor of heart disease and diabetes, according to new results released Monda
                          I don't want ,my kids drinking nutra sweet, so they drink water, milk and juice only. I drink tea and water and milk....mostly just the hubby drinks soda.
                          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                          Sharing withother survivors...
                          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I drink soda. Less than I used to, but always more than I should. Fortunately, we've been able to warn our kids away... so far. They're still young and impressionable. In our house, we refer to Coke and Pepsi as "black juice." So effective is our brainwashing that our kids tell us the stuff is bad for us, the same way they unflinchingly nag their grandmother about the dangers of smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              Any carbonated beverage has the same effect on bones. The correlation appears to be there, but it's not strong enough yet for the feds to actually want to do something about it. Carbonated water may also affect the enamel on your teeth.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X