No more soda for youse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No more soda for youse!

I've been something of a devotee of Rockstar energy drink. True, it's still got that phosphoric effect, but the sweetener in the diet version is sucralose, which is not NutraSweet. No idea if that's any better.

No high-fructose corn syrup in the regular varieties, either. Those are sweetened with glucose and sucrose.

Yes, soda is not good for you. All thing in moderation.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I don't think that's an appropriate question in a public forum.
      I don't require a public (or private) answer - but I hope Helen is taking care of Helen's health.

Comment

gimme smartwater or black coffee, or (mostly) water from my britta and I am good. Once in a while, if there's a wedge of lemon around, I put that in and its refreshing!

Maybe 3-4x/year I'll have a whisky on the rocks. Otherwise, I avoid alcohol.

pax

Comment

It would be interesting if drinking diet soda had been found to harm people, but this research doesn't show that. The researcher is quoted as saying that no causal link was shown.
          Greg

Comment

I haven't had soda for... maybe 15 years or more. I went cold turkey. Now it tastes too chemical and sweet.

Comment

Unfortunately, I am a soda drinker too. I have a question. (And, no, I am not being sarcatic - never took chemistry or biology) If phosphoric acid is what makes soda bad for you and also what makes it fizzy, would drinking flat soda be any better? Does the phosphoric acid disappear when the bubbles do?

Comment

I don't think that's an appropriate question in a public forum.
                Sorry to harp on this further, but it seemed an odd point to get a burr under Scrivener's saddle. Consider the topic, and Helen's posting:

If you read the article in the link, it mentions
                ...those who drank one or more soft drinks daily had an increased risk for metabolic syndrome when compared to individuals who drank fewer of the fizzy beverages.

Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of risk factors for heart disease and diabetes...
                Armed with that detail, followed up by Helens's admission of drinking soda "3 to 5 times a day (which is what I do)," it begs the question.

It wasn't a "tell us personal info, Helen" query*- it was an "I hope you are taking care of your health, Helen" one. It required no response.

(* = like there's ever been a dearth of those here; maybe it should have been a public poll? )

Comment

I understand the concern, but I thought maybe the question was too specific and too specifically directed. I know I wouldn't have answered it publicly. Helen obviously doesn't need me to intervene; forgive me if I was poking my nose where it didn't belong.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I understand the concern, but I thought maybe the question was too specific and too specifically directed. I know I wouldn't have answered it publicly. Helen obviously doesn't need me to intervene; forgive me if I was poking my nose where it didn't belong.
                    I get you. I could have phrased it in a less niele fashion, too.

Comment

I remembered hearing about this on the news when I ordered my lunch today, so I didn't order any drink - just drank warm water for my meal (my water bottle was in my car)
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Just a few points you may want to drink in:

1. All carbonated beverages do not contain phosphorus. However, they all contain CO2, which is why they are carbonated. Check the labels here. Try looking up Diet Mountain Dew first.

2. There's no scientific evidence that shows drinking of all carbonated beverages leeches calcium from bones. But mind you there is a positive correlation between dairy intake and osteoporosis also noted here.

3. High phosphorus intake is indeed bad for your bones. The calcium leeched out travels through your kidneys. So if you want to avoid osteoporosis and kidney stones, limit your intake of select soft drinks (usually the brown ones), spinach, grapefruit and milk.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                          1. All carbonated beverages do not contain phosphorus.
                          Ugh. Meant to say that not all carbonated beverages contain phosphorus.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Is Vitamin Water considered too sugary by this standard?

Comment

Me? I drink water. It takes close to a buck off the cost of lunch or dinner at some places. I guess I'm just cheap. I'll drink soda on occasion, but I'm not up to one a day which the story said still was significant.

Note that they don't know if it's the soda or if drinking soda was simply an indicator of careless dietary habits.

Comment

Give up raw spinach for salads, or milk?!

I can give up sodas, I can have less, I can have one a month...telling myself I can! I'm headed that way. Darn Jazz, strawberries and cream had to come along this late in my life. fart!~
                                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                                X