This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 10

Surprised that the HCC Cafeteria had pizza and small salad for just over $5 today. Had that and a bottle of Diet Coke (with Lime I think).

Comment

Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 11

Pork Long Rice w/watercress, carrots, celery, Maui onions, green onions, garlic and SPICES!

Hot Steam White Rice.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Raw spinach, tomato, onion and salmon on top, chased with some raw, apple cider vinegar and a clove of raw garlic, maybe....a few veggie Ritz on the side. Oooh...don't stand too close to me.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Mixed plate of char siu pork, pasta, brown rice, corn and a bottle of Diet Coke.

Comment

Pizza (and Mountain Dew!), preceded by a long exercise walk uphill.

Comment

Manapua, spring rolls and a large cup of Mountain Dew.

Comment

P.K. and I ate Thai Food. We told the owner to cook us her Special two dishes. One was Seafood and the other a Noodle dish with Pork and vegetables. The food arrived and she smiled. We were hungry!

Aiyah! The Seafood dish was HOT!!! I told her to make it mild but she forgot. She apologized. I didn't want it to go to waste so I ate ALL.

With a lot of WATER!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Saimin with char siu, spam, egg, kamaboko, and won tons and a spam musubi to go.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

AF's homemade somen salad, kalua pig, rice, peach cobbler - at a kanikapila.

Comment

After Mass today, we ventured into Waikiki to check out "MAC 24/7." The "MAC" stands for "modern American cuisine," and the place is aiming for a bizarre combination of modern trendy nightspot and retro comfort food diner. It's in the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio Hotel (former Trellises spot in the former Radisson Waikiki at 2500 Kuhio Ave.).

Their signature is their ginormous "mac daddy" pancakes. The Advertiser described them as being the size of "area rugs," and they're not kidding. At least 18 inches across. Various combos include basic blueberry, the "Elvis" (peanut butter and bacon), and the banana, pecan and chocolate (which is what we ordered). A quarter of this monster fed both my wife and I. The rest is weighing down the shelf in our fridge.

I gather that they're going for quantity rather than quality, as the pancakes weren't exactly fluffy, and without butter, pretty dry without a massive syrup pour. Turns out the most popular dish on our table was my youngest son's simple bacon, eggs and toast!

Breakfast is a big part of the menu (and I like any place I can get breakfast at 3 p.m.), with other dishes like meatloaf, lobster pot pie, fried chicken and waffles, baked goods, soups, and salads. The saimin bowl? Big enough for a small child to swim in. Of course, it's also a nightspot, so there's a long shiny bar for the beautiful people.

Valet parking is free (just tip well), though we ended up leaving at 11 a.m. That's checkout time at the hotel, and the valet was a madhouse!

Comment

Chicken Adobo!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Oh, that chicken adobo looks yummy. Is it a little on the red side? Did you put something tomatoey in there?

My lunch (which I just had) was a Lean Pocket, half a bag of mini Fudge Stripes, and two cans of Diet Coke. Vending machine food.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            I gather that they're going for quantity rather than quality, as the pancakes weren't exactly fluffy, and without butter, pretty dry without a massive syrup pour.
                            That seems to be what everyone says after ordering pancakes there. Were the toppings any good?

Would you order pancakes there again?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              Oh, that chicken adobo looks yummy. Is it a little on the red side? Did you put something tomatoey in there?
                              I used Stew Chicken today. For faster cooking, use Chicken Thighs.

Cover with Water.
                              1 cup apple cider vinegar
                              1 cup shoyu
                              Paprika as much as you like for redness.
                              2-3 crushed ginger
                              2-3 crushed cloves garlic
                              2-3 whole Bay Leaves
                              1/2 sliced round onion
                              whole peppers, lil' bit salt and msg (opional)

Combine all ingredients and Chicken into pot.
                              Boil till liquid comes thick.

Enjoy.

Once again: Play around with dee Recipe to make it your own!

Comment

Oooh. Thanks for the recipe. I actually have a recipe and it's pretty close to yours, but I use a 2 to 1 ratio of vinegar to shoyu (I really, really, really like vinegar), and I've never used paprika. Think I'll try that.

When you say "whole peppers," you mean peppercorns, right?

Oh, also: The first time I watched someone make it, I was having a little...fling. With a Filipino girl from the mainland. She was on exchange at UH-Hilo. She and two of our friends used to come over every Monday night for Monday Night Football and dinner, and we took turns handling the dinner.

Anyway, she told me this: When you get it all simmering, you MUST leave it alone. Don't stir, don't bang the pot with something, don't move the ingredients at all, or else the whole thing will be spoiled. She couldn't explain it, except to say that that's what her mom always said. I demanded some kind of reason, so she said something about agitating the chemicals before they were done doing their thing (which is something we all learned in chemistry classes during certain labs).

Have you ever heard this, about stirring RUINING the adobo?
                                Last edited by scrivener; July 30, 2007, 08:06 PM. Reason: "...so you think you're a Romeo just playing a part in a picture show..."
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X