X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 3

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    You guys take your laptops and cameras into restaurants? Wow. I used to take a book or a newspaper...back in the old days.
    I take 'em all. Laptop, camera, phone, book, newspaper, clipboard with sudokus in progress, and sometimes a magazine, too. If I'm not being overstimulated, I'm not being stimulated enough!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Kalua pig
      poi
      lomi lomi salmon
      tako poke
      chicken long rice
      teriyaki steak
      rice
      haupia
      and for dessert...
      Raiatea Helm!!!

The food was great and Raiatea was even better but, dang, I'm absolutely stuffed!!

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        You guys take your laptops and cameras into restaurants? Wow. I used to take a book or a newspaper...back in the old days.
        heheheh

I'm always ready foa dat "once in a lifetime" photo shot!

Plus, I carry a large purse.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger, Jumbo Jack, curly fries and a cup of fruit punch.

Comment

Tuna on a toasted spinach bagel.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

fried teri chicken (soak chicken in shoyu/sugar/ginger for two days, then roll in corn starch and fry in the wok).
              greens
              brown rice.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Broccoli-potato soup, made by me.
                Ooooh, I gotta try that. I love potatoes, I love broccoli, but never knew there was a soup that combined them! Scrivener, do you have a favorite recipe or link you can point me to??

Comment

If you google "broccoli soup" and "recipe" you'll find quite a few. I haven't tried them all, but I was looking for something non-creamy and non-cheesy. I know, I know. What's the point, right? I like cream and I like cheese, but I needed something with neither of either this time.

What I did was adapt one recipe, simmering broccoli and potato slices in beef broth (it's what I had; most recipes called for chicken broth or vegetable broth) with salt, pepper, and an onion that had been sauteed in two tablespoons of butter. When everything was pretty soft, I put it all in the food processor. What I got was simple but tasty, if you like broccoli.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What I got was simple but tasty, if you like broccoli.
                    How could anyone not like broccoli after this very famous skit by Dana Carvey on "Saturday Night Live"?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      and for dessert...
                      Raiatea Helm!!!

The food was great and Raiatea was even better but, dang, I'm absolutely stuffed!!
                      ALMOST missed this post - glad I didn't. Lucky Sue!

Comment

Dinner Sunday - we had a guest staying with us (a name Scrivener would recognize - Canadian musician Stephen Fearing), and as Summer in Seattle attempts to draw to a close, we fired up the grill. Skewered chicken breast meat, marinated in pineapple juice and shoyu; tri-tip steaks, one marinated in a shoyu-garlic teriyaki sauce, one with a barbeque rub; red potatoes in a mustard vinaigrette; wine; lots of conversation (we see Stephen only once about every year or two, but rarely get to catch up on our life stories --- we used to spend a lot more time together in the late 1980s, before his career as a touring musician took off.) Leftovers will be transmogrified into lunches this week.

Comment

If you google "broccoli soup" and "recipe" you'll find quite a few. I haven't tried them all, but I was looking for something non-creamy and non-cheesy. I know, I know. What's the point, right? I like cream and I like cheese, but I needed something with neither of either this time.
                          Yeah, I'm not a big fan of cream either. I prefer recipes without cream or milk, which is hard to find with potato soup recipes. But I googled and found some recipes that look like winners. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm gonna be choppin' brock-o-lee, choppin' brock-o-lee

Comment

We ate at the new Auntie Pastos restaurant at the Kaahumanu Center in Maui. Just OK... not planning on going back there. I had Calamari Milanese, and my hub had some kind of seafood pasta.

Comment

right after i hit submit on this reply, i'm gonna cook something i rarely make-- creamed tuna. if you're unfamiliar with this cheapy pantry food classic, here's how it goes: saute garlic and onion, add canned, drained tuna (eric's preference is chicken of the sea--you can tell the diff in quality b/w canned tunas, if you're the kind that cares about that stuff). season with dill, pepper or whatever you like. then add cream of mushroom soup and stir til smooth. add milk or water to thin to your preferred consistency; then add veggies of choice. i use frozen carrots/corn/peas/beans or braw-caw-lay-hay (you guys got me singing that song in my head. thanks. ). heat through, adjust seasonings, pour over rice or noodles and grind with happiness.

if you've never had this, it sounds like cream-puke, but if you happen to like all the components, this dish is one example where the result is tastier than it sounds.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

part #1: Hot dog and water from the stand at CompUSA.

part #2: KFC combo #1 with corn on the cob and fruit punch.

Comment

Working...
                                X